[SOLVED] i7 9700k overheating idle in BIOS

Eos3

Reputable
Jun 24, 2019
I'm building a new rig to replace my aging oldie and have run into a issue I cannot for the life of me figure out. I'm at the point where I'm going to probably RMA the CPU back to newegg but I figured it couldn't hurt to reach out to you all and see if I'm justifiably sending back a defective chip. Anyhow, I started building the rig with the bare-minimum to test if I could get the core components to post.
Here's a list of the parts:
Motherboard - MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC LGA 1151 (300 Series)
Ram - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
CPU - Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6 GHz
Cooler - BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G5, 80 Plus Gold 750W

I assembled everything on top of the motherboards box with no issue, hooked it up to the power supply and it posted just fine, everything was was working as intended except for the CPUs temp which was hitting 80°c immediately after booting. I shut the system down immediately and took off the cooler, checked to make sure everything was tight, reapplied thermal paste put the cooler on tight and ran it again. Again, same thing 70-80°C on immediate startup I let it run for about ten minutes while I checked settings and consulted a friend, sent him pictures of the voltages in bios and the settings all looked normal.
The voltage is at 1.01
Multiplier is 32
3.6ghz standard no overclocking.

I gave up for the day and let it sit for the time being. Next day I booted it after again removing the cooler cleaning that and the cpu with isprobyle alcohol applied another new coat of thermal paste and made sure everything was seated correctly. After booting to BIOS, literally ten seconds from starting the pc it was at the same temp as usual after sitting an entire day I found this very odd.
The cooler was doing what it could at its max rpm of 1500. I changed the 4 pin connector to see if that had something to do with the issue but It didnt change.
I've searched everywhere I can for information on anyone having a similar issue to mine but have come up with not a whole lot. I've tried my best to figure out what's going on but at this point I'm leaning on sending it back.
I apologize for the long post and the bad formatting. If anyone has info about this issue or can help me affirm that I'm making the right call by returning the CPU I would deeply appreciate it. I already removed it from the board and put it back into is original packaging but I have quite a few photos from the bios and of the cpu its self if anyone would like those posted. Thanks for your time regardless!

EDIT: Picture of BIOS
View: https://imgur.com/a/ns1iBOO

Last edited:
Solution
UPDATE:
I figured out the Issue.
Seems the IHS was not mounted correctly thus, causing the die to improperly transfer heat to any of my coolers. In all honestly its my fault for not noticing this when inspecting the chip. Clearly a defective chip so I ended up sending it back to Newegg for a replacement. Got the new CPU today and temps are at 22c.
I hope this helps anyone who runs into similar problems as I did. When in doubt RMA the SOB.
Cheers and thank you everyone for the insight and help.
I'm building a new rig to replace my aging oldie and have run into a issue I cannot for the life of me figure out. I'm at the point where I'm going to probably RMA the CPU back to newegg but I figured it couldn't hurt to reach out to you all and see if I'm justifiably sending back a defective chip. Anyhow, I started building the rig with the bare-minimum to test if I could get the core components to post.
Here's a list of the parts:
Motherboard - MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC LGA 1151 (300 Series)
Ram - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
CPU - Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6 GHz
Cooler - BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G5, 80 Plus Gold 750W

I assembled everything on top of the motherboards box with no issue, hooked it up to the power supply and it posted just fine, everything was was working as intended except for the CPUs temp which was hitting 80°c immediately after booting. I shut the system down immediately and took off the cooler, checked to make sure everything was tight, reapplied thermal paste put the cooler on tight and ran it again. Again, same thing 70-80°C on immediate startup I let it run for about ten minutes while I checked settings and consulted a friend, sent him pictures of the voltages in bios and the settings all looked normal.
The voltage is at 1.01
Multiplier is 32
3.6ghz standard no overclocking.

I gave up for the day and let it sit for the time being. Next day I booted it after again removing the cooler cleaning that and the cpu with isprobyle alcohol applied another new coat of thermal paste and made sure everything was seated correctly. After booting to BIOS, literally ten seconds from starting the pc it was at the same temp as usual after sitting an entire day I found this very odd.
The cooler was doing what it could at its max rpm of 1500. I changed the 4 pin connector to see if that had something to do with the issue but It didnt change.
I've searched everywhere I can for information on anyone having a similar issue to mine but have come up with not a whole lot. I've tried my best to figure out what's going on but at this point I'm leaning on sending it back.
I apologize for the long post and the bad formatting. If anyone has info about this issue or can help me affirm that I'm making the right call by returning the CPU I would deeply appreciate it. I already removed it from the board and put it back into is original packaging but I have quite a few photos from the bios and of the cpu its self if anyone would like those posted. Thanks for your time regardless!

EDIT: Picture of BIOS
View: https://imgur.com/a/ns1iBOO

I would install windows and see what temps you are getting- the thing to remember about the bios is the CPU will sit with all cores at the base speed so it generates quite a bit of heat. It's only after the bios where the cpu will then down-clock cores that are not in use.

That is the thing - modern cpu's actually run at much lower than the base speed most of the time when idle... the 'base' speed is just the minimum the cpu will run at with all cores at max load.

I would only expect ~70C at full load on all cores at 4.6 GHz, and certainly not 80C at only 3.6 GHz...

Any chance your sink had a protective clear sticker across the bottom that escaped notice?

Go ahead and install WIndows, chipset drivers, etc., and see what temps are under assorted loads....

Eos3

Reputable
Jun 24, 2019
Thanks for the reply! I thought about doing that as well but I started to get real cautious I guess. I'll give it a go when I get back home and try to update on how it goes. Hopefully your right. That would be great.

Reactions: cdrkf

Eos3

Reputable
Jun 24, 2019
Thanks for the reply! I did remove the protective sticker from the heatsink. I double checked a million times after because I like to second guess myself with that haha.

Eos3

Reputable
Jun 24, 2019
Good point. I was wondering if that could be a potential issue. I'll get a flash drive and see if updating it helps at all. I'll post a update with the results later on once its done.

It's possible the BIOS is just initially overdoing it on the core voltage at initial powerup to make sure a good POST occurs; maybe once an OS and normal chipset drivers are installed, more reasonable voltages will be applied for assorted core clock speeds.

WHich we will know after the above sequence occurs...

Eos3

Reputable
Jun 24, 2019
So an update, a fairly late one at that. Apologies. Anyhow, I flashed the mobo and updated the BIOS. This didnt fix the situation but I went ahead anyways and installed windows 10. No real trouble with the install got it connected to the internet and checked cpuid and hardware monitor. The socket was sitting idle at 32°C and the core at 43° which came as a major relief.
Albeit a bit high but then again I have one fan attached to the cooler and it fits one more on it. So itd probably be cooler with both on, I'll check that tomorrow.
It seems to run good but I need to run some kind of stress test on it for sure. The cpu still hits stupid high numbers when I installed windows updates it shot to 100°C but there was no sign of thermal throttling or lag so I'm not really sure what that's about hopefully I can get some more help on that. I honestly think it's nothing at this point as it doesn't force shut down.

That's it for now. I'll def post more on it later when I have more time, i just wanted to lastly thank you all for the great help. Here's to possibly finishing my new rig soon.
Here's some photos:
Idle:
View: https://m.imgur.com/a/EFbzOmW

Installing windows apparently:
View: https://imgur.com/a/Drllvd2

Last edited:
So an update, a fairly late one at that. Apologies. Anyhow, I flashed the mobo and updated the BIOS. This didnt fix the situation but I went ahead anyways and installed windows 10. No real trouble with the install got it connected to the internet and checked cpuid and hardware monitor. The socket was sitting idle at 32°C and the core at 43° which came as a major relief.
Albeit a bit high but then again I have one fan attached to the cooler and it fits one more on it. So itd probably be cooler with both on, I'll check that tomorrow.
It seems to run good but I need to run some kind of stress test on it for sure. The cpu still hits stupid high numbers when I installed windows updates it shot to 100°C but there was no sign of thermal throttling or lag so I'm not really sure what that's about hopefully I can get some more help on that. I honestly think it's nothing at this point as it doesn't force shut down.

That's it for now. I'll def post more on it later when I have more time, i just wanted to lastly thank you all for the great help. Here's to possibly finishing my new rig soon.
Here's some photos:
Idle:
View: https://m.imgur.com/a/EFbzOmW

Installing windows apparently:
View: https://imgur.com/a/Drllvd2

Hmm, that 100C on the core doesn't add up when the socket reads 45, could be a faulty temp sensor on the cpu.

Reactions: Eos3

Eos3

Reputable
Jun 24, 2019
Yeah. It seems fine at this point I've run prime 95 and intels diagnostics tests and both have given no issues with the cpu despite the tempatures. I'm going to run a stress test in a game and see if it throttles or anything and if it doesn't I'm just going to write it off as that.

Reactions: cdrkf

Eos3

Reputable
Jun 24, 2019
UPDATE:
I figured out the Issue.
Seems the IHS was not mounted correctly thus, causing the die to improperly transfer heat to any of my coolers. In all honestly its my fault for not noticing this when inspecting the chip. Clearly a defective chip so I ended up sending it back to Newegg for a replacement. Got the new CPU today and temps are at 22c.
I hope this helps anyone who runs into similar problems as I did. When in doubt RMA the SOB.
Cheers and thank you everyone for the insight and help.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS