[SOLVED] i7 9700K running 80C + on full load

gameoverman2016

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
Hey all, I am thinking my h100i gtx is showing end of life signs.

I am reaching 80c+ in many games, anywhere from 60 to 87C but on idle its 24C to 37C and 45 to 50 while surfing the web.

I have a brand new evo 212, should I use that until I can repalce it with a better cpu cooler?

specs
Monitor Acer Z35P(3440x1440)
GTX 1080ti
I7 9700K @ 4.6Ghz
Gigabyte Z390UD
H100i gtx aio cooler
750Watt Corsair psu
970 evo plus 1tb
evo 840 250gb
firecuda 2tb
hiatchi 1tb
case is a Thermaltake Mk1 Chaser.

The case is dusted, not many wires blocking air flow and I reapplied the thermal paste

Here is a benchmark of The division 2, where it hits 87C for 1 second

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bny3sthE8s

My question is this. Are these temps fine? or should I repalce the cooler with my evo 212? Until I can get a better cooler in a month or 2? Thanks

Solution
You can determine if airflow is the problem or the cooler might be an issue using my copy/paste 'Airflow or Cooler' troubleshooting:

Airflow / Fan / Cooling / Overheating - How to test, steps to resolve

This could be caused by a few different things, please don't automatically assume 'the cooler is not working' without also checking if the case airflow is sufficient.

Remove the side panel of the PC case. Orient a house fan (desk or box style fan) to blow air into the case, directly over components at the highest setting.

This will represent a case with the best possible airflow possible. For reference, the fans I am providing as examples would look like the items below (just to clarify for anyone who might want...
I am thinking my h100i gtx is showing end of life signs.
check the Corsair control software and see what speeds the pump and fans are running at.
case is a Thermaltake Mk1 Chaser
i remember seeing those around a few years ago, that was an odd design for a case. there's so much extra plastic surrounding the actual chassis that it will block a lot of the airflow in and out. but having that large vent with a fan attached pulling air in on the Windowed side also helps a lot with GPU cooling, and CPU cooling if using an air cooler.

your idle and browsing temps are fine but hitting >80° at any point is dangerous and will degrade your CPU's life quicker than normal.
have you always been getting temps like this or did it just start recently?

what kind of temps are your GPU getting?

what is your case fan setup?

and where is the radiator located?
if on the top;
try removing the top exterior plastic case panel so it can exhaust better.

gameoverman2016

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
check the Corsair control software and see what speeds the pump and fans are running at.
i remember seeing those around a few years ago, that was an odd design for a case. there's so much extra plastic surrounding the actual chassis that it will block a lot of the airflow in and out. but having that large vent with a fan attached pulling air in on the Windowed side also helps a lot with GPU cooling, and CPU cooling if using an air cooler.

your idle and browsing temps are fine but hitting >80° at any point is dangerous and will degrade your CPU's life quicker than normal.
have you always been getting temps like this or did it just start recently?

what kind of temps are your GPU getting?

what is your case fan setup?

and where is the radiator located?
if on the top;
try removing the top exterior plastic case panel so it can exhaust better.

No, only since I installed a samsung evo plus 970,

I did upgrade from an i7 6700k, to the current, which caused temps to rise a bit. I might of fixed my issue however.

I just removed my aio, cleared all paste, reapplied the paste, and then fixed 2 fans that somehow were in the wrong way.

I now have it in a pull push config as well as the aio . So air pulls into the case from front and bottom, and out the back and top, blowing over the gpu and cpu area.

Temps now at max settings are 55 to 70c depending on game(state of decay 2 now runs at 65c to 68c, same with jedi fallen order

GPU is staying under 70 Ill run another division 2 test and check temps

Are the new temps since redoing everything
7at73Th.png

SgayIWx.png

Radiator is on top gimme a sec ill take a photo

gameoverman2016

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
8n4qDztDSxpePmDplCzxWDe1qH9Ff3mnVPIXMGtlpmr1_tAf_VCp-O-XaYEXtp5P9qsaXydNk951Kj1ea5pZI7gzC7M4J8mgzbQtKlweY3SQ3R6izUo0xVFdRFcad9kxr70EJ47o8WfDZXKwvF4SfQreuQhhrpJUgSlg0-n3jUTbci-qKtZxmiD5Wjcji7rkIT9CRlKo2wM3WFm64iJoCoVuKYnrS7y79s3hk8q3ix2fdaolMfIMksH303KAFmhyBSUgkYbhHsFzE30B86aVMNoqICTkdRXsoJKCYIXdd-EoCQlTplJceBjt-npbQJEkwXf0s2VMFwjg8ipazVAnKz_N2lub586AZPgslQhaOUbuj-opQ2LSfjbIK0P5vB-qJCN3LsFQ-uWOlOgdc4T1OZUJ8_5xK0YfwclpcKHEUP8w2yCpxBsSOeprVSnDB-z6PcRTubAf9icSYmPmXJnxEncTgpmfXFDqMoZJy3CmahzJv-JWXRwZhadIr5dy18rX5sZdQTceaGJcW1hRP2MTBHcafnMvr151HQ6a4s5xxZJxrkrWjNxYUSAjXK4EyJMRmGuA9ZVAEvJNEsPG6UN9KjE21NZ1lBmbnnNi__PEr2sC9KvgbY3IIrlyACgY6IIHePk7NO-O0IpuCRewTL_NDEbxH3_UXzQjfzQU25C2eNeUmTjRCj0DIjdH3wv2=w973-h1297-no

WBrrGCHQV7k-a-MOeGFoXLGrarah_Uq8KMs8FJVn7kl6XWwRFP8uW5rz87JBlIKBzuNOcbMlUDeHnypF2l7-pPBD_IMmXp4pmpYB-w8Sl6fPjE0Jnfwwv9P3Vq4DFB9rRlVVDMthYyBLHaveQcOXwd8vntUKDDsVOEAib8SwZAxIJBSnrNbkn2_Y8KCh4H0FlMp0ZRTY-BGwmi7FzZCPfAiuyDJSPxlX4ka_RtI1Wt3YKeK4JEHRKQBv4krc9Gieb5LaEcGHSEBDvEO0ZSXdSd86g5HO8buQBBJT5qTBALy3vOB0gy2fukNvxFNP0_Eu6UQR_mDnFaixkiO2dx_xWFQ4lTcL-N0F9rvViRpXxZu5B7o4-P4qaDsURm6WrcoC_prGsmW8zZJtuWxbT3iJF8BIuplvKx21P7JbwGywKbOp5CMQyCQkC5L4I0f8u4t_aRwdb-0lHMnBcxp8_MDntlsyOYGy23uSa_k8xZL3MmvsmWNCioOOMV48laz8X4tQU1tNwwaMRsZh67-5zZOZRyeX6Orkp97OqxMNMmnX3dkYtnXroddH1oFulFKQAZchFnQcfX-H5HtbUd9uqpyUeX0kOdH8rDCYRsS8Y8IUGr6SvHd16DAIlMCffzCFiijB5JFc2Ln_mPerGdeW31E93OcjF0LVH70o_tw7iOmKo5hEWrGocbCtZK-pveKW=w973-h1297-no

not the best cable management but not causing any air issues.

PfjnlM7lSaiZ-7iiMkAP24ITeC-qU2zKg_nlKHjetgyHEMCYTEdSnUQUJHD2x80NxqlbQC_cZMtiW9tsbNT16BnPWN0dc9OPd37vI-guViJ6Op7g6I_Ai8E1KYXq9gLd_DC02U3EKd80Y972DFCzDx3kLoEEzLSDDnI9JwlvGjOzbLZtcnGh1TvgxKvUS6EBmmq36n9La5y8DHtDamukf5LC32_wVuTVg32I4i0xtG5_G1fh4AhG6jAOfUZOKAeG2hEoSH4hk4RQM9sdJpD8Eixw_LRoGWCdoLeXHcUmaQ9OEwUjzkeKtlQjp5juf5qzjhbhiCg2MiX33n8a30XFVIvdSDzOJCX4SieC-DWBb5GlbicoZVT9kYr_5RWWAiVH20lZnP1MOpts-8-08aH-trK-ykI9cXFN7YNEtyJdqgpD4rqax6hrm-jlxwQUioWoMQ46U3lYcaU0DHMfux_UdhonjuBS41T8uGIngvgF90CEPI-V2WOpOU6kjaS-Mmgl6OVPRuVsrm8I9rZx8VYm1JJuKWODzOvPgcKKBszqS2-vU07NVzwackRnvGYHyywIIQc5Pwqxg70fQr15Xg69OKoG_ZOGFHwac5n3IxrK4nf5zU8rXO4U755PRdlNaD7URNd7SmNsPFrbt76VNv6ZA2VAGeqbrdudbcomEAjuGMuH6P4FtlLQ0vTYWW-1=w973-h1297-no

the back side where the spaghetti is
Ot-oEpUguia00MYj0tpOt7sP7mreITyijJQl86oR8uZpeuUApW6K9jOfb9ezdHiSn3hRtO0o0mP_20AhYYn1vLSpG8FqJJrhR9qckkD4k43k0dcqWHlkxXgzbnafelK3jtHanVkPdSWtKoZ4C8odT1hdLUgtW3teHRT7ro4ekl6g6WfRbxrL8I9ke27uSTOe60C48PI3vgzokYfRTfzpvAV5Oy4xp4_LMSee4pPaX5HXPPGu301OQa_OydfZcYuJTGpBu_T9gqx-QdY7kHH8nBmbtJ-eV6Ip9KdplyTNJZ7kchEK7beVR8rgP7Z3kjDbVmiiBoFWbxoGMvbastutKOAvg74dwrZw_j8-kyTyRtuewv5EOikOAAuhsix_ZC0EHj10QC__aV0kKE8SEOjodJ2xe4BznqS5JqnSuyXHGa2a53bEPJZAADdNiRNCpj3up6Op4ual-hlMMAyKczV12LCWzVt3W1yemS5f9YOlZTH-ZZPA1DbyaRib0kfqOGJ-GBu7WKZsqrKHlkRa7BHUGwWBKu2B6w3ZDlnf7MaypoFVqgjPgI8M3CI9XqnrXymAuh6FmABINX3Mn9zfOxO8mXb2gnH3sRE_SxfhxkxOqIQIUCcutyM8stqyE-DECUC_M0vYeXC0tQslmHHgwzRHZ9qukEXiYpHD4ddGSHS8-XQiILLnty67HLcmNMdS=w973-h1297-no

I usually remove my fans every 3 month an air them out, and I did so before installing the evo 970 plus, so I must of put 2 fans in backward at that time or possible not seated the aio correctly causing temps to rise, but atm they seem "acceptable"

what i can see of the Corsair suite the pump seems to be running fine and the fans are spinning pretty fast. it must have just been an airflow issue caused by fans not setup efficiently.

most of the latest images aren't showing.

~75° is not great but maybe through some trial and error changing fan speeds and allowing a bit more airflow would help lower them some.

i would really recommend getting a more efficient case if you have the funds to rebuild.
a wishlist i've put together of some of the better looking cases with better features:
https://secure.newegg.com/wishlist/pd/34786767?SortBy=2
though so much stuff is out of stock due to the outbreak it may be best to wait a couple months if searching for a new one.

Reactions: gameoverman2016

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You can determine if airflow is the problem or the cooler might be an issue using my copy/paste 'Airflow or Cooler' troubleshooting:

This could be caused by a few different things, please don't automatically assume 'the cooler is not working' without also checking if the case airflow is sufficient.

Remove the side panel of the PC case. Orient a house fan (desk or box style fan) to blow air into the case, directly over components at the highest setting.

This will represent a case with the best possible airflow possible. For reference, the fans I am providing as examples would look like the items below (just to clarify for anyone who might want reference)

nI6vx5v.jpg
2GBempv.jpg

Re-test as you have normally done - play games, run benchmarks, etc. to get to where temperatures were normally seen to be higher than they should. Normal room temperature is usually between 20-24C or 68-75F. Please note that every air or liquid cooler operates as a product of delta-T over ambient, meaning that if the PC is operational (simply turned on), it is impossible for the CPU to display a temperature below ambient room temperatures. If it is, this is likely a bug in software temperature reporting either from the desktop UI or the BIOS reading it incorrectly.

With the fan running at full speed, if temperatures drop by 5-7C or more, case airflow is one major issue to contend with. You will need additional fans or better fans for your setup in order to optimize air in and out of the chassis. This might even require consideration for a new PC case or leaving the side panel partially open during sessions of heavier computing until these items are corrected.

If your temperatures remain relatively the same (difference less than 1-2C), then you likely have an issue with the cooler in question (if CPU is hot, CPU cooler, if GPU is hot, GPU cooler). It would be good to then approach the next steps by thoroughly cleaning the cooler with compressed or canned air and ensuring there are not large blockages in cooling fins or on fans, etc. This might require the cooling fans to be removed from the heatsink or radiator to ensure there is not a buildup of pet hair, dust or even carpet fibers which can trap additional debris. Please ensure the PC is turned off and unplugged during this process to prevent unwanted startup to keep fingers safe from fan blades or accidental shorting if you happen to drop a screw onto other components during fan removal.

Removal of the cooler and re-application of thermal paste & re-seating the cooler can also be beneficial once cleaning of the cooler is ruled out by retesting the steps above.

Also, my AIO troubleshooting:

Does the CPU temp decrease when there is no load and benchmarking is stopped, or does it remain very high as if it were at load? At 1 min? At 5 min?

Does the CPU temp increase without any meaningful load from cold bootup, or does the CPU temp remain consistent around 30-35C (depending on your ambient room temp) for up to 5 or 10 minutes?

Did this cooler work correctly before now, is this a new install or a re-install? What thermal compound was used?

How is the AIO cooler oriented? Is the radiator on the top (ceiling of the case), or front or back of the case? If front or back, is the tubing oriented at the top or bottom of the radiator?

Is the pump running? Does cooler software show pump RPM? Does the tubing vibrate if you are to hold onto them?

When the CPU is showing high temperatures, is the radiator cold, warm or very hot to the touch?

Clearing a (potential) airlock on an AIO

Tap the CPU/pump housing while the pump is running.

Wiggle (without pulling or stressing) the tubing near the pump housing. Excessive force can cause small cracks or leaks, the idea is to only dislodge any air pockets that are stuck in the line.

Solution

gameoverman2016

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
what i can see of the Corsair suite the pump seems to be running fine and the fans are spinning pretty fast. it must have just been an airflow issue caused by fans not setup efficiently.

most of the latest images aren't showing.

~75° is not great but maybe through some trial and error changing fan speeds and allowing a bit more airflow would help lower them some.

i would really recommend getting a more efficient case if you have the funds to rebuild.
a wishlist i've put together of some of the better looking cases with better features:
https://secure.newegg.com/wishlist/pd/34786767?SortBy=2
though so much stuff is out of stock due to the outbreak it may be best to wait a couple months if searching for a new one.

I wont touch any mid cases, I am a big guy and have some massive paws for hands and those small cases are a nightmare to build into. I prefer full atx cases, which is why I havent picked a new one just yet, but I will look at them, and if any full atx suggestions please feel free to suggest

This will represent a case with the best possible airflow possible. For reference, the fans I am providing as examples would look like the items below (just to clarify for anyone who might want reference)

nI6vx5v.jpg
2GBempv.jpg

Re-test as you have normally done - play games, run benchmarks, etc. to get to where temperatures were normally seen to be higher than they should. Normal room temperature is usually between 20-24C or 68-75F. Please note that every air or liquid cooler operates as a product of delta-T over ambient, meaning that if the PC is operational (simply turned on), it is impossible for the CPU to display a temperature below ambient room temperatures. If it is, this is likely a bug in software temperature reporting either from the desktop UI or the BIOS reading it incorrectly.

With the fan running at full speed, if temperatures drop by 5-7C or more, case airflow is one major issue to contend with. You will need additional fans or better fans for your setup in order to optimize air in and out of the chassis. This might even require consideration for a new PC case or leaving the side panel partially open during sessions of heavier computing until these items are corrected.

If your temperatures remain relatively the same (difference less than 1-2C), then you likely have an issue with the cooler in question (if CPU is hot, CPU cooler, if GPU is hot, GPU cooler). It would be good to then approach the next steps by thoroughly cleaning the cooler with compressed or canned air and ensuring there are not large blockages in cooling fins or on fans, etc. This might require the cooling fans to be removed from the heatsink or radiator to ensure there is not a buildup of pet hair, dust or even carpet fibers which can trap additional debris. Please ensure the PC is turned off and unplugged during this process to prevent unwanted startup to keep fingers safe from fan blades or accidental shorting if you happen to drop a screw onto other components during fan removal.

Removal of the cooler and re-application of thermal paste & re-seating the cooler can also be beneficial once cleaning of the cooler is ruled out by retesting the steps above.

Also, my AIO troubleshooting:

Does the CPU temp decrease when there is no load and benchmarking is stopped, or does it remain very high as if it were at load? At 1 min? At 5 min?

Does the CPU temp increase without any meaningful load from cold bootup, or does the CPU temp remain consistent around 30-35C (depending on your ambient room temp) for up to 5 or 10 minutes?

Did this cooler work correctly before now, is this a new install or a re-install? What thermal compound was used?

How is the AIO cooler oriented? Is the radiator on the top (ceiling of the case), or front or back of the case? If front or back, is the tubing oriented at the top or bottom of the radiator?

Is the pump running? Does cooler software show pump RPM? Does the tubing vibrate if you are to hold onto them?

When the CPU is showing high temperatures, is the radiator cold, warm or very hot to the touch?

Clearing a (potential) airlock on an AIO

Tap the CPU/pump housing while the pump is running.

Wiggle (without pulling or stressing) the tubing near the pump housing. Excessive force can cause small cracks or leaks, the idea is to only dislodge any air pockets that are stuck in the line.

I just got done cutting the grass and here are the idle temps I came back to.

veB8jH3.png

Ill have to do some testing over the next few days to ensure temps are more acceptable under full load.

My pc currently has 7 fans 2 on the aio, 1 120mm in the front. 1 120mm on top. I replaced the 80mm fan on the back with a new one from corsair, and I added 2 more, 1 on top(80mm) and 1 on bottom (80mm)

Atm I am thinking when I reseated the cooler I wasnt connected properly also 2 of the fans were in the wrong way, causing a pull conflict with the aio.

CPU seems to idle between 25 and 37c, depending on ambient temps, sometimes kicking up to 45c or so if I am watching videos

Tombraider makes the game hit 55c, ark survival takes it to 65/70 jedi fallen order and the division 2 are now both around the 65/70 mark , more so 60/65 since I redid the aio.

Yes the pump and fans are working in the software and it was warm to the touch when I took it apart earlier, but not overly warm as I let it sit for a few minutes.

The aio is approximately 2 years old. Bought brand new at Bestbuy and was previously used on my I7 6700K. I recently upgraded to an i7 9700k, and while temps did increase by about 5 to 10c (the 9700k runs hotter I am told, and is pushing the h100i's limits) it as working fine. I remove all fans once every 2 or 3 months usually, to remove dust and and clean the case and what not. Odds are I put 2 of the fans back in backwards and didnt notice until I put the nvme in

Ill report back in a day or so with my findings and ty for the reply.

dDNUcDu.png

I wont touch any mid cases, I am a big guy and have some massive paws for hands and those small cases are a nightmare to build into. I prefer full atx cases, which is why I havent picked a new one just yet, but I will look at them, and if any full atx suggestions please feel free to suggest
one of the features of almost all of the cases i've added to my list is that they support E-ATX boards. so even if some may be rated as a "mid" sized, they are large enough to compare to full sized cases.

Reactions: gameoverman2016

TRENDING THREADS