[SOLVED] I7 9700k running hot

arun882

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Hi all,

I've recently rebuilt my rig with an i7-9700k, being cooled by a corsair H115i pro.

I've noticed while idling (Had a few game downloads going because it's a gaming rig) that the ECU was sitting around 45 to 50 degrees C, which seems a bit hot to me.

The radiator from the h115i has 2 fans (that came with it) pushing air through and 2 200mm fans on top pulling air through (at the top of the case acting as an exhaust)

Can anyone offer any suggestions or advice for bringing the temps down?

Thanks in advance

Setup:
I7-9700k
Corsair h115i Pro AIO cooler
Asus maximus formula mobo
Asus ROG Strix RTX2080 (sitting around 30 degrees c)
Cooler master HAF X case with all fan mounts populated plus another mounted in the expansion slots
32gb ram
And a bunch of hard drives (2 M2 SSDs, 3HHDs - plan to get rid of one once data is off it)
750w corsair PSU

Solution
Your CPU temps are fine. 61C under load is perfectly fine for a 9700k. I dont think you are really looking at your idle temps right. There are background processes going on all the time. Even when the system is idle, the CPU will perform operations. Therefore the temps will fluctuate. I dont worry about idle temps too much. It is load temps that you want to be sure of.

As for the 4.6ghz, if you are running the high performance power setting in windows, it will run at 4.6 all the time. If you run a power saving or balanced, it will only speed up the clock speed when the system requires it. But for a rig like yours, I would run the high performance plan and get all out of your system you can.

arun882

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

The cooler pump was installed as per the corsair instructions, and there was thermal paste included on the contact plate thing.

When running F1 2018 (at more or less max settings) for two hours or so I see CPU temps of 61 degrees and GPU temps of 63 degrees

But i do occasionally see some stuttering, so I'm suspecting the PSU might be on its way out. Could that have an impact on temps?

I also noticed that at idle the CPU clock speed is 4.6GHz instead of 3.6Ghz. I did see something about AI overclocking on these Asus boards but I'm not that clued up about overclocking (yet).

Your CPU temps are fine. 61C under load is perfectly fine for a 9700k. I dont think you are really looking at your idle temps right. There are background processes going on all the time. Even when the system is idle, the CPU will perform operations. Therefore the temps will fluctuate. I dont worry about idle temps too much. It is load temps that you want to be sure of.

As for the 4.6ghz, if you are running the high performance power setting in windows, it will run at 4.6 all the time. If you run a power saving or balanced, it will only speed up the clock speed when the system requires it. But for a rig like yours, I would run the high performance plan and get all out of your system you can.

Solution

Fros78

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
You are correct on the overclocking on Asus boards, they do have that option though it could be off by default my 8700k runs at 38-40*C idle on air cooling and 61*C under load is perfectly fine thats 44*C to TJ so you are fine.