Question i7 9700k temps with Cooler Master liquid lite 120

xFazzz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Hi, just looking for an opinion on my temps in my new build.

I was playing Battlefield 1 earlier and my CPU temps seemed to sit between 73c-77c, this seemed a little high to me considering the cooler that i'm using.

I have 3 intake fans on the front of my case and the water cooler fan is the exhaust on the back.

My GPU runs at around 70c under full load, which I know will increase the temp inside the case, but still. The CPU temps seem a little high to me.

Opinions?

Mastropomodoro

Commendable
BANNED
Jun 16, 2019
I had a similar problem with my 7700k, I tried also delidding and those stuff but nothing really made a difference. Than i thought that the problem maight be the heatsink of the cpu (sorry I'm tired and i don't remember the right name) i mean the pice of metal wich is part of your cpu. Sometimes the surface is not flat and the contact with the cooler is not efficient. you have many ways to check that. First: if some cores are like 10C hotter than the others is a sign. Second: if you take of your cooler you might see the termal paste wich is not evenly distributed. Third: take off your cpu and check with a razer or something fpat and sharp if the surface is actually flat. If you think that is not you can fix that. The tecnique is called "lapping", you just need some sandpaper (400-800-1200) and you sand your cpu until you don't have a flat and smooth surface. And nope (in case you are thinking that) is not dangerous for your cpu

xFazzz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
I had a similar problem with my 7700k, I tried also delidding and those stuff but nothing really made a difference. Than i thought that the problem maight be the heatsink of the cpu (sorry I'm tired and i don't remember the right name) i mean the pice of metal wich is part of your cpu. Sometimes the surface is not flat and the contact with the cooler is not efficient. you have many ways to check that. First: if some cores are like 10C hotter than the others is a sign. Second: if you take of your cooler you might see the termal paste wich is not evenly distributed. Third: take off your cpu and check with a razer or something fpat and sharp if the surface is actually flat. If you think that is not you can fix that. The tecnique is called "lapping", you just need some sandpaper (400-800-1200) and you sand your cpu until you don't have a flat and smooth surface. And nope (in case you are thinking that) is not dangerous for your cpu
All cores are running at the same temps. Seems like the temps sit around 70c under full load when stress testing the CPU. I'm guessing the heat from the GPU when gaming is causing the temps to rise to 75c ISH.

I mean I'm not overly worried about the temps as they are not too bad, just thought it should be cooler with the cooler I have.

If anyone else has any opinions I'd greatly appreciate it.

xFazzz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Please list your full system specifications (including exact model names/numbers), so someone will better be able to answer your question.
i7 9700k @ 4.3Ghz OC
Cooler Master Liquid Lite 120 CPU COOLER
Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Edition
MSI Z370 A PRO
Corsair 460x Case
250GB M.2
250GB SSD
2TB HDD

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You are cooling an 8-core CPU on a single 120mm AIO cooler, that's one thing. The 9700k is a 130w TDP part as defined by Intel, where most 120mm liquid coolers are really only efficient up to 125watts, and while 130w TDP isn't far off, usually these parts produce more thermal load than they are spec'd to. I would imagine that if you used HWMonitor, you will likely find your CPU wattage is higher than that, especially at 100% load if you tested with Prime95.

The other is that you are within range for normal temps on the CPU - but the cooler you have installed really isn't meant for a large, mainstream CPU - it is more designed for dual and quad core CPUs, and even those on the lower end of the power band. A good air cooler or at least a 240mm AIO (or 360) would be better. I have my 9700k and RTX 2080 on full watercooling using dual 240mm radiators.

Reactions: DMAN999

xFazzz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Okay that's fine, thanks for the reply guys.

So from what your saying, if I want lower temps I need a better cooler. However the temps that I am getting are still within the normal range?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
TDP is an average of power used by several specific programs. It's by no means maximum, or usually anywhere close. Generally, maximum is closer to 1.5 to 2x TDP. You have a 130w TDP cpu and cooler. Expect average usage to put you at average safe temps, or somewhere around 70°C-ish. If you try for maximum loads, like Prime95 small fft, you'll be using maximum power of 130w on a 130w cooler so expect temps of 100°C ±.

To drop those temps somewhat will require a cooler that's more effective, about 1.5x more affective or in the 180w-220w range, which puts gaming temps closer to 55°C and maximum close to 70°C. That'll be the mid range coolers, such as a 240mm AIO or Cryorig H5, Noctua NH-D14, beQuiet dark rock 3/4/pro etc.

You can never over-cool a cpu, excessive cooling ability just means lower fan speeds and volume over a broader range of temps. But you sure can under-cool a cpu, and stock coolers or stock equivalent coolers are designed with average usage in mind, not heavy or extreme usage. With the stock equivalent cooler you have in that 120mm AIO, if you ever punish the cpu in a heavy cpu dependent game, expect reciprocal temps to be very high, as you'll be beyond normal, average usage.

Reactions: DMAN999