[SOLVED] I7 9700k vs AMD Ryzen 3700x

Jimbob1

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2013
I’m struggling to decide which is the better option for gaming as well as multi-tasking such as using FL studio, and also rendering. Money isn’t a problem I just want to make sure I pick the right CPU what suits my needs.

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
What resolution/refresh rate is your monitor and what GPU are you getting?

9700K has an advantage in gaming, particularly when overclocked, but really only when you're aiming for really high FPS by pairing a high end GPU with a lower resolution/high refresh rate monitor.

For rendering and general multi tasking the 3700X should win handily.

Reactions: RodroX

Jimbob1

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2013
What resolution/refresh rate is your monitor and what GPU are you getting?

9700K has an advantage in gaming, particularly when overclocked, but really only when you're aiming for really high FPS by pairing a high end GPU with a lower resolution/high refresh rate monitor.

For rendering and general multi tasking the 3700X should win handily.
144hz and the GPU is a gigabyte 2080 super oc

I feel intel did a really low move for its loyal buyers when it artificially crippled the HT support for the 9700K, of course most of us knew there was a reason behind it: Money, and of course the birth of a new high end segment (in the mainstream market) with the i9 9900 series.

Now, if youre coming from a Core i5 3470 (the one in your signature), even the Ryzen 5 3600 will be a huge upgrade. Either of those CPU are great, I personally think that the Ryzen paltform will have more "cheap" upgradability than any Intel cpu you buy. AMD's socket AM4 will get at least 1 more new cpu launch this year (Ryzzen 4xxx), for Intels new cpus launching this year (lets hope they get there) will require a new motherboard and socket.

So really is up to you, more or less. Which platofrm do you wana spend your money on?, Whats more important for you, gaming, or sound/music production and rendering?

Reactions: Jimbob1
While im very sad that the best processor of all galaxies the 4770k is no longer produced, I have to be honest and say that the ryzen 3700x is the better deal, the 9700k have a slight higher effective single core performance wich results in a slight increase in FPS and all, plus, optimzed(saturated) 14nm process wich should allow for better overclocking, but in daily tasks thats not noticeable, plus, extra cores on the ryzen, as said before 300 times, allows you to multitask more and encode faster and yadda yadda, while you may not even use that much of the sorts, in the current situation you just lie between deciding wich one has better overall value, wich is of course the almighty 4770k but since those are long gone.

3700x no doubt my friend.