Question I7 9700k vs Ryzen 3800x

killamaching190876

Commendable
Oct 10, 2017
Hello everyone, so I just picked up a new processor which was the Ryzen 3800x and it’s gonna be paired with the RTX 2080 and a x570 motherboard. Now I kinda regret getting the Ryzen because originally I was gonna go with Intel 9700k. I look at the clocking and what not and it seems Intel is better. Maybe I’m looking at it wrong. I don’t do any over clocking yet but I possibly will in the future.

What does Ryzen have over Intel besides the pricing? Which one would be best for me? Also your personal preference:)

jostegogar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
i dont know where did that per clock cycle come from. there is no such a thing. but we have instruction per cycle (IPC) which is still higher on intel.

also about threads, they help to get more stable fps and also make it easier to have multiple apps open.

Hello everyone, so I just picked up a new processor which was the Ryzen 3800x and it’s gonna be paired with the RTX 2080 and a x570 motherboard. Now I kinda regret getting the Ryzen because originally I was gonna go with Intel 9700k. I look at the clocking and what not and it seems Intel is better. Maybe I’m looking at it wrong. I don’t do any over clocking yet but I possibly will in the future.

What does Ryzen have over Intel besides the pricing? Which one would be best for me? Also your personal preference:)

As long as you are playing at 1080p with a high refresh monitor (75Hz or higher), or you step up to 1440p or higher you wont feel much of a diference between those two CPUs.
Yes, maybe if you test (benchmark) them, the Core i7 9700K may give you a few extra FPS, but the diference is small, and the higher the resolution and refresh rate goes the smaller the FPS delta will be.

But as bmockeg tried to explain, the Ryzen 7 3800X have SMT enable (what Intels call HT) so you get a CPU with 8 cores/16 threads, and if you need to do multiple tasks at the same time (streaming, rendering, etc) while gaming the Ryzen is going to give you a better performance.

Also new games will slowly become more threaded optimized, it will not happend tomorrow, but we will get there eventually, and so when that happend, the Ryzen should keep the performance up thanks to the 16 threads. Ssadly, intel decided to disable HT on the Core i7 9700K, leaving it with only 8 cores/8threads. (Still the i7 9700K is a very capable and strong CPU).

And finally the last thing I can think about its the motherboard. With that mobo you got, you are gona be able to get a new Ryzen 4xxx later on and use it with only a BIOS update. If intel finally release a new 10nm CPU, it will require a new motherboard.

Once again, right now the Core i7 is a bit faster in some games than the Ryzen 3800X, but unless you are playing at a really low resolution you wont feel the diference.

i dont know where did that per clock cycle come from. there is no such a thing. but we have instruction per cycle (IPC) which is still higher on intel.

also about threads, they help to get more stable fps and also make it easier to have multiple apps open.

IPC is exactly what I was referring to🙄. AMD definitely has a higher IPC. Intel barely beats AMD with their much higher clock speed. If a Ryzen CPU was clocked evenly to intel the AMD would win due to higher IPC.

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
The 3800x in general is a better pick than the i7 dont worry about it. You also have the option to upgrade to the next gen ryzen cpu when it comes out if you want without needing a new board which intel will likely need. It also has more PCIe lanes and larger L3 cache.

Last edited: