Question i7 9700k with msi 1660 ti gaming x

Aug 14, 2019
Main purpose content creation.

does this combination bottleneck?

other option: ryzen 3700x but confused about thermal issues.

ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 8GB DDR4 3200MHz x2
mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus
CPU cooler: cryorig h7 quad Lumi
power supply: Antec High Current Gamer Gold Series 650 WATT Full Modular

no component has been bought yet.

That combo you wrote is really good.

The main reason to go Ryzen way is only if you use software that can take advantage of multple cores + HT or SMT or if youre going to have lots of apps open at the same time..
That means if you use software that can take on as many cores and threads a cpu has, like Blender and others, then the 3700X is the clear choice.
Another scenario will be if youre going to keep alt+tabing between lots apps open at the same time, plus many diferent browsers with many tabs each one, etc, in that case also the 3700X should have a better response time. (In this last case, you are also going to need more than 16Gb of RAM, browser tabs, lots of them, specially chrome can eat RAM really, really fast).

As of the thermal issues, look it this way, atleast AMD does include a very decent cooler with its Ryzen 7 3700X. Intel on the other hand include nothing with its 9700K. So youre goin to have to go get an aftermarket cooler (tower aire cooler or all-in-one water cooler) to be able to even boot your PC.

If you don't like Ryzen 7 3700X included cooler, you have very good and affordable options like: https://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/freezer-34-esports-duo.html, actually you may use that same one to cool the i7 9700K (which get as hot or even more than the Ryzen 7 3700X).

Last edited:
Agree with the comments as both options are viable but if your content creation is based around the Adobe suite then Intel comes out on top but for anything else on content creation, rendering, encoding etc.... it has to be the Ryzen 3700X.

On the PSU side, i would look to the EVGA G2 or G3 or the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold as they both are very highly rated with 10 years warranty to boot. Antec have been a bit hit and miss of late...

Reactions: RodroX
Aug 14, 2019
That combo you wrote is really good.

The main reason to go Ryzen way is only if you use software that can take advantage of multple cores + HT or SMT or if youre going to have lots of apps open at the same time..
That means if you use software that can take on as many cores and threads a cpu has, like Blender and others, then the 3700X is the clear choice.
Another scenario will be if youre going to keep alt+tabing between lots apps open at the same time, plus many diferent browsers with many tabs each one, etc, in that case also the 3700X should have a better response time. (In this last case, you are also going to need more than 16Gb of RAM, browser tabs, lots of them, specially chrome can eat RAM really, really fast).

As of the thermal issues, look it this way, atleast AMD does include a very decent cooler with its Ryzen 7 3700X. Intel on the other hand include nothing with its 9700K. So youre goin to have to go get an aftermarket cooler (tower aire cooler or all-in-one water cooler) to be able to even boot your PC.

If you don't like Ryzen 7 3700X included cooler, you have very good and affordable options like: https://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/freezer-34-esports-duo.html, actually you may use that same one to cool the i7 9700K (which get as hot or even more than the Ryzen 7 3700X).
thanks for the detailed comment.

yes, i will buy 2 sticks of 8 gb ram. I will consider 3700x when I make my final decision. thanks again.

Reactions: RodroX
Aug 14, 2019
Agree with the comments as both options are viable but if your content creation is based around the Adobe suite then Intel comes out on top but for anything else on content creation, rendering, encoding etc.... it has to be the Ryzen 3700X.

On the PSU side, i would look to the EVGA G2 or G3 or the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold as they both are very highly rated with 10 years warranty to boot. Antec have been a bit hit and miss of late...
Adobe softwares are one the priority list.
those psu brands are not available in my country :(