i7-9700K without Hyper-Threading - is that bad or good thing?

Solution
The benchmarks I have seen in the past for Hyperthreading show a maximum increase in performance of about 30% in any task but often a lot less. This was with 4c/8t cpu’s. There are going to be very few scenarios that can fully utilise 16t over 8t so unless you happen to fit into one of those scenarios I personally think hyperthreading will be of minimal gain for most uses.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on what it costs. If it's quite a bit cheaper than the i9 8 core with hyper threading then I would opt for it over the i9 especially for say a gaming PC. Someone planning to build a workstation PC might want the 16 threads. But for gaming I doubt hyper threading is going to do anything for you on an 8 core cpu.

The benchmarks I have seen in the past for Hyperthreading show a maximum increase in performance of about 30% in any task but often a lot less. This was with 4c/8t cpu’s. There are going to be very few scenarios that can fully utilise 16t over 8t so unless you happen to fit into one of those scenarios I personally think hyperthreading will be of minimal gain for most uses.

Solution

mrmiller

Proper
Aug 3, 2018

OBS is one of them right?