Question i7 - 9700KF with Dark Rock Pro 4

May 5, 2020
Hello everyone. Just joined the forum and built a new computer (my first Intel build) and had a question about the temps I getting for my cpu. I'm running the i7-9700kf stock with the Dark Rock Pro 4. I haven't adjusted any setting via BIOS or through any of the third party apps. With that being said, the temps look like they are running a little high to me. At idle I'm getting low 30s c and then I hit 80c when running Prime95 without any AVX. During gaming sessions I'm seeing temps in the low to mid 70s. Am I wrong for thinking that the temps should be lower while running this massive air cooler?

I have reinstalled the cooler twice and I'm still getting consistent temps with the installs.

May 5, 2020
I think the airflow is good. I have the Cooler Master H500 with a front mesh panel. The front has the 200m fans and then I have one exhaust fan in the rear.

I will try with the panels removed and see what happens.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Would the Asus Multicore Enhancement have anything to do with why the temps are high?
Yeah, it totally would.
Think of it as a 1-click overclock for your cpu. All 8 cores now run at 4.9ghz, but the 'easy mode' tends to apply more core voltage than is necessary by default.
It's done to ensure overclock stability. With some trial and error on your part, you could find a lower, stable voltage, and get those temps down as well.

Also, higher load line calibration settings will also increase temps. If you made any changes to that - it's advised not to apply higher than your motherboard's medium-level settings if running on air.

May 5, 2020
Yeah, it totally would.
Think of it as a 1-click overclock for your cpu. All 8 cores now run at 4.9ghz, but the 'easy mode' tends to apply more core voltage than is necessary by default.
It's done to ensure overclock stability. With some trial and error on your part, you could find a lower, stable voltage, and get those temps down as well.

Also, higher load line calibration settings will also increase temps. If you made any changes to that - it's advised not to apply higher than your motherboard's medium-level settings if running on air.

Looks like the Multicore Enhancement is turned on by default that might be my issue. Going to shut that off and monitor the temps. With the cooler I have, I don't see why I can't get load temps under 70c running stock. If temps don't drop I might look at an AIO. Thanks for the assistance.