i7-9750h cpu is hot, sorry I bought one.

cyrust

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
I bought a Gigabyte Aorus 7 with the i7-9750h cpu. After having an another intel laptop from 4-5years I thought this was a no brainer, At first the laptop would just boot up the fan would run high and the system would shut off, after a RMA (bios update, re-pasted cpu and new fans) and 3 months I got it back and it is still hot. I have been doing some reading on this and this is problem common to this processor. There are a very, very many complaints, It is like having a hair dyer in your lap. It is loud and blows hot air, it is so hot you can not have it in your lap with any comfort. I even have tried to do the under volt work around with throttle stop still things are running 70c and 100% fan speed, it is just not gratifying. Writing this now I am at 48c and a comfortable 1900 fan speed; this is ok. Thing is I did not buy a 1300 dollar web browser, when I turn on just CIV6 it is just hot and loud. I can't believe we all seem to accept this and that Intel is not getting much more issues over this.

WildCard999

Titan
Even the 9300H runs hot, mine easily gets into the 90s while playing the Division 2 but any kind of "gaming" laptop shouldn't be on your lap. It should be on a flat surface so it can properly exhaust the heat from it.

It would be nice though if there was a option for a bulkier laptop that had better cooling. Seeing everything "thin and gaming" is just a poor combo for heat.

Even the 9300H runs hot, mine easily gets into the 90s while playing the Division 2 but any kind of "gaming" laptop shouldn't be on your lap. It should be on a flat surface so it can properly exhaust the heat from it.

It would be nice though if there was a option for a bulkier laptop that had better cooling. Seeing everything "thin and gaming" is just a poor combo for heat.

I get into this argument at work all the time LOL, they keep buying thin and light systems then people open trouble tickets that it gets warm, fans are loud and it's slow LOL

WildCard999

Titan
I get into this argument at work all the time LOL, they keep buying thin and light systems then people open trouble tickets that it gets warm, fans are loud and it's slow LOL
There's really no choice anymore for larger, well ventilated laptops besides a few from Alienware. It really doesn't make much sense though, if companies made them a bit larger and maybe added in a couple of fans they could easily keep them cooler and not have to worry about multiple RMA's. Perhaps there's more money in giving people garbage and having to keep fixing it? Although with factory* warranties how much money can they really be making?

cyrust

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008

I understand you can't smother the laptop. I am starting to notice that the fan will only effectively cool up to about 60% anything higher than than that it just makes more noise and the temps stay about the same. I would rather just have a my custom rig, but work requires that I travel, It really it should be able to run cool enough while you are in an airport so people don't think you are vacuuming the floor.

cyrust

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
After a second RMA I got the laptop back it is still a hair dyer; that is hot and loud. After a short test the fan exhaust hit 106 F

"The minimum temperature that can cause a burn in a finite amount of time is 44 °C (111 °F) for exposure times exceeding 6 hours. From 44° to 51 °C (111° to 124 °F), the rate of burn approximately doubles with each degree risen. thermal burn - wikipedia

It is too hot to be comfortable or safe.