Question I7-9750H not reaching max potential

Mar 19, 2023
So recently ive been obsessed with trying to get the most out of my laptop, and after basic undervolting ive found that my cpu does not only not reach 4.5ghz on single core, it also dosent go higher than 3.15ghz on all core. i would love to actually be able to use my laptop properly, and im pretty sure everything is set properly (max processor state 100%, disable turbo off, good cooling etc) and theres also nothing in the bios that says anything about the cpu. Ill add a few screenshots to my throttlestop settings to make it easier. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Throttlestop settings

Reactions: jnjnilson6
TDP Level, Power Balance and the PP0 Power Limit are not supposed to be checked. Set the PP0 Power Limit back to zero, press Apply and then clear the check mark in the PP0 Power Limit box and press Apply or OK.

Upgrade to ThrottleStop 9.5. Check the Windows Defender Boost box in the Options window.

ThrottleStop shows that you have Windows 11 and Virtualization Based Security is enabled. ThrottleStop does not work correctly until you disable VBS.

After VBS is disabled, reboot and delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file before running ThrottleStop again. If you do not disable VBS, the majority of items in the FIVR window will not work.

45W is not enough power for a 9750H. Try setting MSR PL1 and PL2 to at least 60W or 70W if your cooling can handle this. Some laptops are hard locked to 45W so this might not help. After you increase the power limits, run Cinebench and watch to see if your CPU can maintain more than 45W long term.

What does ThrottleStop report for C0% when your computer is idle at the desktop? There has to be next to nothing running in the background or the 45 multiplier will never be used. Run a TS Bench 1 Thread test. What is the highest multiplier you see during this test? Push the Print Screen button on the keyboard to get a snapshot.

0MZGE7z.png

Mar 19, 2023
TDP Level, Power Balance and the PP0 Power Limit are not supposed to be checked. Set the PP0 Power Limit back to zero, press Apply and then clear the check mark in the PP0 Power Limit box and press Apply or OK.

Upgrade to ThrottleStop 9.5. Check the Windows Defender Boost box in the Options window.

ThrottleStop shows that you have Windows 11 and Virtualization Based Security is enabled. ThrottleStop does not work correctly until you disable VBS.

After VBS is disabled, reboot and delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file before running ThrottleStop again. If you do not disable VBS, the majority of items in the FIVR window will not work.

45W is not enough power for a 9750H. Try setting MSR PL1 and PL2 to at least 60W or 70W if your cooling can handle this. Some laptops are hard locked to 45W so this might not help. After you increase the power limits, run Cinebench and watch to see if your CPU can maintain more than 45W long term.

What does ThrottleStop report for C0% when your computer is idle at the desktop? There has to be next to nothing running in the background or the 45 multiplier will never be used. Run a TS Bench 1 Thread test. What is the highest multiplier you see during this test? Push the Print Screen button on the keyboard to get a snapshot.

0MZGE7z.png
So after changing the settings to what you asked and updating, the max core turbo is now `3.5ghz and the power capped at 56.W (with POWER icon flashing) its definitely an improvement but could it be better? also when using a single thread with nothing in the backround I get this. caps at around 4ghz

Thank you for your help btw

Idle Throttlestop Screen

Last edited:
Reactions: jnjnilson6
Are you sure your computer was idle when you took that screenshot? Compare your screenshot to the one I posted. My CPU cores and threads are spending 0.0%, 0.1% or 0.2% in the C0 state. The screenshot you posted shows that your CPU is spending 25% of its time in the C0 state when it is supposed to be idle. Maybe you posted the wrong picture.

I hope you were running a benchmark or something during that screenshot. If not, that means one quarter of your CPU is being wasted working on background tasks. Open the Task Manager, go to the Details tab and click on the CPU heading and organize the background tasks by CPU usage. What is running on your computer? Your computer can never use the maximum multiplier if many of your cores are actively processing useless background tasks.

and the power capped at 56.W
What did you set MSR PL1 and PL2 to? If your computer is power limit throttling at 56W and you have set the MSR power limits higher than this, that means your computer is using an embedded controller to force feed a 56W limit to your computer. Does ThrottleStop Limit Reasons show PL1 or PL2 lighting up red with power consumption being held to 56W? There is no easy way around this limitation.

If you clean up the background sludge, you will have a much faster computer.