[SOLVED] i7-9750h refuses to overclock

Sep 7, 2021
I have an asus rog prebuilt laptop with the i7 9750h and it cant go over its base clock speed for whatever reason and i've never seen it hit even 80% usage. To give some context it had an unrelated issue that i brought in on warranty and they said they swapped the motherboard out. Since reciving it back i cant run anything and its really frustrating considering what ive payed for it. If anyone can shed light on this i'd really appreciate it, thanks

Solution
Check to see that the power settings aren't set to power saver. Also one more thing to check is in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings -> "Change advanced power settings" -> Expand "Processor Power Management" and "Maximum processor state" and make sure it's at 100%.
Check to see that the power settings aren't set to power saver. Also one more thing to check is in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings -> "Change advanced power settings" -> Expand "Processor Power Management" and "Maximum processor state" and make sure it's at 100%.

Reactions: pilopet
Solution
Sep 7, 2021
The H series CPUs aren't made for overclocking as they have a locked multiplier (afaik). As far as reaching turbo boost speeds, that could have to do with thermal limitations, motherboard BIOS/CMOS settings, and Windows Power mode settings.
thats what i meant, the turboboost is supposed to go to something like 4.20 ghz. ive looked in the bios and haven't seen anything to do with the turbo. as for the thermal settings i haven't looked & the power mode is on high performance

Sep 7, 2021
the processor power management fixed it you are a life saver i cant express to you how much you've helped i feel like an idiot now haha. they were both stuck on 10%

Sep 7, 2021
I personally have an i7-10750, recently when playing the same games, my cpu usage has almost doubled, which reguardless of temps plummets my clockspeed I have tried factory resets, all windows and powersettings are optimized I have even gone so far to disable powerthrottling, speedhift set to 0 and speed step disabled. Was wondering if anyone could lend a hand? thanks.