I7 build - Computer Freezes

blazelet

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Hey Techno-Friends!!

I have a new system I just put together. It's my 4th build, the previous 3 used the Q6600 and my new one has an i7 inside.

The computer has started frezzing. Everything just locks, mouse doesn't move, caps lock won't turn on and off, nothing. At first it was only doing it when I would do complicated 3D renders out of After Effects. I thought it could either be my video card or After Effects itself. So I replaced the video card with a complete different model and the problem persisted. Then I went through the After Effects troubleshooting and the problem persists. Well today it froze up when I was just launching IE - nothing else open. So this makes it unlikely that it's after effects, but more likely that it freezes when pushed (although IE isn't exactly pushing on an i7 machine with 6GB RAM ...) So my next though it, could it be the PSU? From the beginning the PSU has concerned me ... so here are my specs.

Processor : Intel i7-940
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-EX58 Extreme
Memory : 6GB DDR3 (2x2GB + 2x1GB)
HDD : 500GB Samsung SATA HDD
Power Supply : Earthwatts 500W

And then I have a CPU fan and 2 case fans (120mm I think?)

Thanks for any info!

Ryan

What brands/models are your RAM? Do they have the same speed/voltage/timing ratings? Did you manually set the RAM timings and voltage in the BIOS? System freezing is very often caused by RAM issues. You'll get more meaningful help if you post the full RAM specs.

The freezes could also be caused by overheating. Have you checked the idle and load temps for your CPU?

blazelet

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Thanks for the speedy reply!

The RAM :

First pair is : 2 x NVidia 1GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz, 1.8v (9-9-9)
Second pair is : 2 x Patriot 2GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz, 1.8v (9-9-9-24)

I'm not sure what the numbers in parentheses mean but they were written on the RAM so there you go. My BIOS is all default settings, I haven't messed with anything.

Overheating :

As far as overheating the idle temps are sitting at 51C \ 130F and the load temps are spiking up to 82C \ 180F. But the load temps for the most part are sitting around 71C \ 160F

When it froze last I had the core temp up. These are the temperatures and load values as of the freeze.

Core #0: 65C \ 149F 11%
Core #1: 69C \ 156F 5%
Core #2: 62C \ 144F 8%
Core #3: 76C \ 169F 34%

Hope this helps

blazelet

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
From what I'm reading I'm running way way too hot. I am running 2 case fans (1 front, 1 back) and a CPU fan (the stock fan that came with it) and I have thermal grease. There's also some weird heat removal system that came with the mobo which they claim keeps you 30% cooler.

Any other ideas on how to keep it cooler? What I've been reading says to keep it below 60C

doormatderek

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Those temps DO seem high, but I would think maybe the power supply as well. I've been through this before, locking up randomly, possibly an audio stutter when it happens as well?
What about a video card? I would imagine you have one of those in there as well..? :p No mention but I would think you have one.. A slot cooler installed next to that would help suck hot air out of the case around the vidcard as well.
That was a couple too many 'as wells'... :p

blazelet

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
In my previous post I show the temps under idle and under load. The higher ones are under load, yes. The program I am using to get temps is Core Temp.

I have tried 2 different video cards and both have the same effect in this computer but work fine in another so I can assume it's not the video cards.

Is 500W power supply not enough for this setup I have? I can't find definitive resources that explain how many W are needed for a mobo with i7, my type of vid card, 3 fans, etc.

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Have you used memtest to test your memory for any errors yet? Don't know if the two different brands of memory could be an issue.

I'd still lean toward the RAM. Both kits need quite a bit more than the DDR3 standard voltage of 1.5v. You should manually set the RAM voltage and timings (the numbers you put in parenthesis after the voltage in your post above) in the BIOS. The RAM may not be getting enough voltage under AUTO settings.

blazelet

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
So you don't seem to think the temp is a problem?

I'll go into the BIOS when I get to work tonight and see if I can give the RAM more voltage. I also have another 120mm fan I can put in the side, I'll try that.

I'm also not opposed to using memtest. This memory used to be in another machine and I moved it to this one but maybe something happened in transport?

blazelet

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
So I came into work and checked the BIOS. It did have the DDR Voltage set to 1.5v so I upped it to 1.8v.

I also installed another case fan. The temps are still capping at 65C but their average under load is about 10C cooler than they were before.

I have test rendered my project all the way through three times now without a freeze. That's pretty hopeful, so it seems as though it's working. I'll post again if it doesn't. Thanks for all your comments and assistance.

The temps are still pretty high. I bet one of the push-pins isn't fully seated. Did you install the heatsink before you installed it in the case? That's the way I prefer, so you can see that the pins fully seated. The pins also have to be turned the opposite direction as the arrows. Perhaps one of the pins got turned to the release position? I know it's a pain, but I'd recommend taking the motherboard out of the case and re-installing the heatsink with the motherboard sitting on a non-conductive surface like a cardboard box.

blazelet

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Ok I just took it all apart and reseated the CPU heat sync and fan - it was loose on one of the four pins.

After putting it back together I'm now staying around 55C load. It spikes up to the mid 60's occasionally but that's not too often.

Thanks for the tips! I seem to be running without freezing and much cooler (150F vs the 185F I was at in the beginning).