I7 Computer build for video editing Premiere CS4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

limp

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Hi i am looking into making a PC build with the Motherboard from Intel intel dx58so and the i7 core, 6-12 gb ram but i am in doubt if i should buy a 3.0 gh or just a smaller one, now i only do DV project with som HDV sequence but one important project is in DV. I wonder if a i7 quad 3.0gh is good enough for hd content hd/hdv, i cant seem to find out if it is strong enough or if i need dual processer.
And when it comes to the harddisk i read about ssd and was thinkin of making a ssd raid0 and use it only for windows and premiere pro cs4, and with a WD 1 tb harddisk on the side. but i read up on the net that its hard to find a standard for sd, because if you delete stuff in them over time the sells wil not work an replacement is needed. so its a jungle to find out which ssd card is good.
i would love some input, i really just wanna make my movies not a computer wizard (but not dumb at it):p

comet48

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

The ATI plugin does not work if you have an INtel CPU, only and AMD cpu!

G

hey peoples..what os the best motherborad and cpu i should used for my computer to do video editing""can anybody tell me?

tacos1313

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

I just bought a system for video editting as well. I went with the i7 930, 12 gb, of ram, ATI 5770, and the gigabyte x58a-ud3r mobo. You're better off buying the 12 gb of ram together. $370 for corsair ram on new egg compatible with the 1337 socket mobos. They test ram in sets when they sell it, this way you know it works together. I also think most new mobos should have their own raid controllers although intel ones are nice. Have to do more research on this as I had someone set up my RAID 10 for me.

I also have a question for anyone who might know. I have the 12gb of ram, however when I am rendering or encoding CS4 really only uses around 4gb. Is there an add-on to boost this or am I just not going to get higher usage rates?

G

So, if you decided, can you give your final "ultimate computer" spec/build?
Thanks.

sudosonic

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
Just found this old thread on my laptop while my desktop is chunking away at a 2 hour 1920x1080p clip with Adobe Media Encoder CS5. I'm running an i7 920 with 6 gigs of ram, and a 1T 7200 OS HD and another one for source and rendered media.

The 2 hours is broken down into actually 12 sequences from Premiere. I'm rendering CBR (constant bit rate) because it's tutorials of an overhead shot of a music keyboard that the make up of the image doesn't really change (I own sudosonic.com). It takes roughly 2 hours to render a 7 minute clip thats around 2 gigs. There's no way there's a bottleneck in the HD because as you know you can transfer 2 gigs around on a 7200 in about 5 minutes. Also my RAM usage stays around 3gigs. Basically what I'm saying is the processor can't process and write data to the drive faster than the drive can accept it-not even close.

Point is, if I had 12 gigs of ram, or a Raid hard drive configuration,..it really wouldn't make a difference. Rendering video is highly dependent on your processor speed and number of cores. My i7 920 is pegged at 100%. And has been that way for hours.

I can still open (with some lag) browsers, Outlook, run skype, messenger, etc, but you don't want to open up large photoshop 500mb photoshop files or anything like that. You'd risk locking some things up.

If you're rendering video everyday, or even 10 days out of the month, your best bet is to save money on all that raid business and just get another computer or a laptop. If you're only rendering a project that's 30 mins every couple months, or you're editing video with no title effects or layers, then I'd say don't even bother getting more than a cheap 64 bit processor and 3 gigs of ram.