gunsmoked

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Got a thread going on about my build here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-263933_13_0.html but I wanted to start a shorter one just about i7 HSF's and OS's.

My new build:
-i7 920
-asus p6t deluxe v2
-corsair 750w tx
-6gb OCZ DDR3 ram
-sapphire hd 4890 OC
-640GB Caviar Black HDD
-cm storm sniper

I've bought a Titan Fenrir TTC-NK85TZ which is still unopened. I'm thinking of returning it and getting a Xig Dark Knight S1283 instead. On Frostytech reviews, the Titan Fenrir comes out top value/performance for money. However, having looked at the Fenrir up close, I'm starting to wish I got the Dark Knight instead.
This Thermalright Ultra 120 1336skt w/Fan and Noctua NH-UH12p dual fan seems to be absolute top performers for air cooling as well, but not sure if it's worth the money.

What do you guys think? Should I stick with the Fenrir?

Also, what OS would you run on a system like above and why? I'm thinking of buying Win 7 when it comes out later this year, but in the meantime, I'm looking either at XP SP3 32bit or Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit to make do. Just not sure what's ideal for now... 60% of the time the system will be for games - crysis,far cry 2, cnc3 etc, the rest for development and video playback/encoding.

Would appreciate any comments =)

Are you planning to overclock very high? If yes, get the Noctua NH-U12P. If not, I'd stick with the Fenrir.

XP 32 bit will only see 3 GB out of your 6 GB, because 1GB of memory address space will be taken by the HD 4890 and 4 GB is all it can address. The PC would work, but not quite as well as with a 64-bit system. Also, Crysis looks better on Vista thanks to DirectX 10.

I'd suggest Vista Home Premium 64-bit. No idea if Ultimate 64-bit is worth the extra cash for you. You'll have to study the feature list and decide for yourself.

Sheesh that's a nice cooler. I hadn't properly noticed it before. The fan clips are superior to Xigmatek.

I think you should keep the Fenrir. If you don't like the chrome fan replace it. Otherwise it looks about like the Xig.

Vista 64. I had both XP 32 and Vista 64 on my sytem, dual booting. I never used XP and eventually removed it.

gunsmoked

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
ok...Fenrir's good enough I suppose eh? Win 7 RC here I come. I think the RC will last me till I buy Win 7. By the way, how would you partition/split a 640GB caviar black for OS,apps,games and media ?

Would you stick apps on same partition as OS?How much free space should you dedicate for the OS?

I suspect that the Win 7 release will be available in December 2009 or even earlier.
RC will last until March 2010. After that, you'll get a reboot every two hours. After June 2010 it won't work at all.

Right now I have 10 GB in the Windows folder (XP 64-bit) and another 40 GB in Program Files. I did stick both in the same partition. I think something like 100 GB or 200 GB for the OS+apps would be plenty.

gunsmoked

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
cool. i was thinking something along the lines of 80-100GB anyway.

FYI - Apparently Win7 RC is valid till June/July 2010, and a commercial release should be around Oct/Nov 09- Acer made a public announcement about new PC's featuring win 7 to be released around Oct/Nov 09, I think inadvertently giving a good idea of the release date lol......