[SOLVED] i7 cpu runs between 60C and 90C degrees

Feb 19, 2019
Hi all,

First time here, and I'm joining up because my i7 processor consistently idles at 60C degrees, and will jump to 90C degrees at no notice, but especially if i try to do anything other than just surf the web. I noticed the problem when trying to game and I would get fps hiccups with accompanied static. A google search told me overheating was the problem, and it's true. I have reapplied thermal paste to it, being careful to rub off the old stuff with rubbing alcohol, I have downloaded hwmonitor to track temp, I have reattached the heatsink, and have run prime95 for 22 hours with no errors. Everything else in my rig runs fine, the gpu holding at 35C, the SSD at 27C. It's just my processor that runs that high. I'm just not sure what it could be. I'm worried it could be a broken sensor?

All of this too is after a move, and I had it in the closet for several months while trying to find a place to put it. (That small apartment college life.) When I booted it up, I got this problem, although it had run fine for a year and a half prior with no problems.

Anyways, let me know what you think, and if there's anything I can do. (Want to avoid having to pay for a new component if possible. Once again, that college life.)

Here are my specs:
MSI Z97 PC Mate Motherboard
I7 4790k processor
NVidia GTX 970 gpu
120 GB SSD Samsung EVO
Forget the brand but my power supply is 750 watts or whatever
16 GB RAM

Thanks.

Solution
I agree a heatsink upgrade is in order and the Cryorig H7 is a good pick for a Haswell if your case can accommodate it. The K series CPUs don't come with a cooler but it sounds as if you are using a stock cooler not specifically made for the 4790K.
Feb 19, 2019
I don’t have a cooler other than the fan that sits over the processor that came with it. Besides that fan, I have two case fans and two fans attached to the gpu, all of which I have double checked are working.

Hmm -k series cpu’s don’t come with coolers. Is it a stock intel fan that has four push pins securing it to the motherboard? If so, one of the pins may not be making good contact.

Or, for some reason the power system is delivering too much voltage and increasing temps.

Feb 19, 2019
Correct. I have pushed the four push pins in until they click, and I can’t pull it back off. Something worth mentioning to is that it was consistently idling at 80C before I re applied the thermal paste, and now it can get down to 60C

Feb 19, 2019
a New cooler is definitely something I need. And, I’m sorry, I have five fans in total: two on the case, two on the gpu, and 1 over the processor. I appreciate the help, but why is this a sudden problem, and not one from the beginning? I’ve had this computer for two years and this has never been a problem before.

There could be several reasons why. You could have barely the proper amount of cooling. You could have dust build up on your components. You could have vibration causing issues. You could have poor quality Thermal Interface Material between your CPU and Heatsink. And there are other reasons as well....

In my opinion, 2 case fans is NOT enough to cool your case down and give you good cool air to your CPU.

TRENDING THREADS