i7 generation question

Apr 18, 2018
Hello,

I have a third generation i7 in my laptop. If I want to play newer games, would it be worth while buying a new laptop which would have a seventh or eighth generation i7? Also my laptop has a 2GB gpu in it, although i'm sorry I don't remember the exact kind. So I want to game, but I guess I am asking if I need to spend <$750 on a laptop to get new stuff to make it worth while?
Any help?
Thanks,
~M

Solution
Most new games now require a minimum of a 4th gen i5 series desktop processor. So depending on what you're planning on playing, you have to turn down resolution/graphical settings for certain games to play 'decent'.
For that $750 price range though, you could find a newer laptop with a 1050 video card in it(which will keep you going for awhile). If you find one that has a Thunderbolt 3(USB Type-C) connector, then you'll be able to hook up an eGPU(external graphics card) and could connect a 1070, 1080, etc... Then you'd be good to go for some time longer.
Apr 18, 2018
That makes logical sense. I just checked and it appears that i have either a GT650m 2GB or a GT750m 2GB video card. Either way it is soldered to my motherboard. So if I get a game and it doesn't run well, then I know I need a new laptop.

iamacow

Admirable
Both 650M and 750M are the desktop Geforce GT 640. The 750M is a rebranded 650M. Its from 2012 so even an 8th Gen iGPU will be faster than this. Even better if you get the Intel chips with Vega graphics that just came out will run circles around this and won't cost an arm and a leg.

toshibitsu

Distinguished
Most new games now require a minimum of a 4th gen i5 series desktop processor. So depending on what you're planning on playing, you have to turn down resolution/graphical settings for certain games to play 'decent'.
For that $750 price range though, you could find a newer laptop with a 1050 video card in it(which will keep you going for awhile). If you find one that has a Thunderbolt 3(USB Type-C) connector, then you'll be able to hook up an eGPU(external graphics card) and could connect a 1070, 1080, etc... Then you'd be good to go for some time longer.

Solution