Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Guys I am building a editing computer. I am not going super big or expensive, but more a home built editing bay with Premier.

I still dont know what the difference between the Quads and the I7 are. From the looks of it, all the I7's have lower speed then the fastest quads. I wont be overclocking either. Is the I7 just a socket size? I would love to get the latest QX9775, but is the best I7 better and hands down faster?

i7 runs on a diffrent architecture, which requires a diffrent socket (X58) and DDR3 RAM. The main advantages is the return of hyperthreading, which means you have effectivly 8 cores on i7 as opposed to 4 by quads, so multithreaded apps see massive (10-20%) speed boosts, something which will imrpove with time.

Also, if you have no interest in OC'ing, there is ZERO reason to get a QX quad. All the X means is you have an unlocked multiplyer, wich makes overclocking easier. A Q9650 is just as good (and $700 cheaper) than a QX9650.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Awesome post, thanks man. So I am thinking about 12GB DDR3 1066 Mem with Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 Nehalem 3.2GHz.

I know I dont need any special GPU, but Dell is telling me that I CANT go with the cheaper HD 3450, because its not compatible with 12GB RAM. It cant go over 8GB. I have never heard of that before, so there option is the HD 4670. Its a pretty good card and for just editing I probably wont use its full potential, but it was weird to hear about that.

Dell is offering up a pretty good deal with a 4yr in home service plan included all of this for $2525. I build computers, but this is for my dad who lives far away and I couldn't be driving back and forth, so Dell is looking pretty good.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
920 i7 is the only cpu buy

it runs 3.8ghz on air and if your cooling is not so good run it at 3.4-3.6ghz
editing computer<---you want the mem bandwidth and 6gb of mem

<----------4ghz or die!

its super easy., make sure you research your mobo - evga has an sleep is at blk 166+ and other issues with other mobo's but for the most part its a cake walk. just walk through the bios changes and get the cake in 5 mins or less!

uguv

Distinguished
He's looking for something with support and doesn't want to overclock so Dell may be the way to go. I still wouldn't go for an extreme edition cpu as they are a waste. The i7 920 is really the only reasonably priced nehalem processor but if you want to blow a little more cash the i7 940 is a bit faster.

They are full of crap about the 3450 not working with 12gb of ram though.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Hey guys, this is going to be a factory built system from Dell for my dad and I wont be able to be there for any problems or anything like that, so I wanted to get the absolute fastest system without me having to manually overclock and adjust things. The reason I wanted to the the i7 965 is to get that 3.2Ghz rather then a lower clock speed of 2.93 or 2.66. I wont be around and I wont have time to test and tune the system.

Dragonsprayer... Why not 12Gb of RAM? I understand yeah the lowest latencies, but why not go with more RAM?

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007

Thats what I was thinking too. Like I said, I have never heard of that ever to be true. Weird. I will see if I can just go pick up a cheap 8800GT or 9800GT instead or argue with them to get the 3450.

YOu are also exactly right about something with support and no OCing. The two options they give me are the i7 920 or 940. I wanted to request the higher 965. Not sure if they will allow it, but we may just pay for it to get that extra performance. Like I said, I would rather be sitting at 3.2Ghz for a long long time without OCing instead of at 2.93 for a long time.

What are your thoughts on the 12GB ram or 6GB. First off they dont give me many options of different speeds or latencies. I think they are all the same and I just get the option of 12 or 6GB.

G

it's possible Dell knows it's motherboard doesn't work with that particular video card. So if they say you can't use it. I wouldn't do it. Especially since your saying you don't want to have problems. I would really doubt they would try to sell you parts that don't work together.

I also agree there is no reason to get the extreme version since that is all about overclocking. The low end I7 would be the best.

I would also go for the highest speed memory they got. DDR3 goes up to 2000 mhz.

Hook him up with a SSD drive and a nice raid or just gobs of space. That should make him happy.

I would think whatever card you could get that could render high resolution video with ease would be the best. Considering that this is like a top end system but not for gaming. I would still go for a nice video card. You wouldn't stick a honda engine in a Ferrari now would you?

well I just looked at Dell's site and I don't really like their options.. Ibuypower or one of those types would probably give you more options. Though then you might worry about support.

Case ( [New !!!] Zalman GS1000 Full Tower Gaming Case w/420W Power Supply Black )
Case Lighting ( None )
Power Supply ( 750 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-750TX Power Supply Quad SLI Ready )
Processor ( [New !!] Intel Core i7 Processor 920 (4x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )
Processor Cooling ( Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink )
Motherboard ( Asus P6T Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 3-Way SLI PCI-E MB 3-Way SLI )
Memory ( 12 GB [2 GB X6] DDR3-1600 Triple Memory Module [$60 OFF Mail-In Rebate] Corsair or Major Brand )
Video Card ( 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB w/DVI + TV Out Video - running SLI mode )
Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA )
Hard Drive ( Gaming SSD Drive(Solid State Disk Drive) 32 GB RiDATA 2.5 inch SATA MLC Solid State Disk )
2nd Hard Drive ( 1.5 TB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 32M Cache] )
External Hard Drives [USB 2.0/eSATA] ( None )
CD/DVD Drive ( [Lightscribe Technology] Sony 20X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black )
CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( None )
Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
Speaker System ( None )
Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
Floppy Drive ( Mitsumi 1.44 MB Internal Floppy Drive Beige )
Monitor ( None )
2nd Monitor ( LCD Monitor Viewsonic 28" Widescreen VX2835wm TFT LCD Monitor 1920x1200 /w HDMI for HD Quality Video [Black] )
USB 2.0 Accessories ( Built-in USB 2.0 Ports )
Meter Display ( Thermal Temperature LCD Display Black )
Flash Media Reader/Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer Beige )
Operating System ( Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....) 64-Bit )
Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner ( [USB 2.0] Asus External Digital TV-Tuner High-Definition Digital TV Receiver, Watch and record Digital TV )
USB Flash Drive ( None )
MP3 Player ( None )
Video Camera ( None )
Headset ( None )
Power Protection ( None )
Advanced Build Options ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis )
Advanced Build Options ( Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound The best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks )
Advanced Build Options ( iBUYPOWER Specialized Advanced Packaging System Protect your investment during transportation! )
Warranty ( Warranty Service Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )
Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) No Rush, Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )
Sub Total: $2,754.00

Here's an IBUYPOWER build I did.. not bad I thought