i7/i9 DDR4 2666GHz

docbooth

Reputable
Dec 5, 2018
I am confused: I want to run the fastest memory I can logically afford yet the I7-9700K and hot headed brother i9-9900K spec at 2666GHz. My build is wavering between the two. My proposed build (currently) is: (No longer Asus Maximus Hero Vl thanks to SR-71 Blackbird), Patriot Viper 2x8 3200GHz, Asus 1070 GPU, (temporary) Arctic Freezer 33. No Over Clocking till I put in the liquid cooler and then nothing of any real consequence. With the stop gap at 2666 GHz, where does the other 534 GHz come into play and help the pc attempt to stay ahead of my wife. No gaming. Strictly database, photos and heavy surfing. After burning up two workstation oriented pc's and several (8) Macs we have stuck with gaming oriented machines. My base questions are- Does the 3200 GHz support the mother board as well with out conflict to the CPU and How much benefit would an extra 16 GB benefit the system. Thanks in advance as well as the help on my previous ?s. On a budget, making for a slow build.

docbooth

Reputable
Dec 5, 2018
You are correct. Back to the Asus scramble. Picking my board @ 1am after getting up at 4:15 am is an obvious unintelligent decision. Thanks for the catch. Too bad Parts Picker and several other guides didn't catch it. Sooo, what about the memory questions?

docbooth

Reputable
Dec 5, 2018
That is what I am trying to understand. From what I can see, the motherboard wants the speed and the cpu will use up to it's specs. Still planning on the Patriot Viper 3200.

docbooth

Reputable
Dec 5, 2018
Excerpt from Michael Crider (How to Geek) Higher-quality, more expensive RAM has lower latency, and both this rating and the RAM’s clock speed can be overclocked by enthusiasts.
That being said, the differences in latency are so minuscule that unless you’re running industry-level server operations or multiple virtual machines, you’re unlikely to see any real difference between RAM with a higher or lower latency.
But What Does All This Do for My PC?
Honestly, it doesn’t mean a lot. While faster, lower latency RAM will indeed increase the technical performance of your computer, it works at such a fundamental level that it’s almost impossible for us flesh-and-blood humans to actually appreciate the difference. It’s like the comparing Data from Star Trek and C3P0 from Star Wars—if one can calculate the odds of survival in one billionth of a second and the other takes two billionths, does it really matter which one you ask?
Faster RAM will give your PC better performance in certain specific benchmarks, but in terms of actual benefit to most users, having more RAM available is almost always better than having faster RAM. So if you’re on the fence about purchasing 8GB of DDR4 RAM with a speed rating of 3200 or 16GB of DDR4 RAM with a rating of 2400, go with the second option every time. It also means that overclocking RAM in the system BIOS is rarely worth the effort. Faster RAM can help visual performance with computers that use an integrated GPU, like Intel’s non-discrete designs or AMD’s Accelerated Processing Unit series. That’s because this setup relies on system memory for graphics performance. It can also make a more obvious difference for machines that are constantly accessed from multiple points, like a high-traffic web server or a virtual machine host. But for most users, it just isn’t a big deal.
RAM comes in different generations, with updated standards allowing faster and faster access to the data stored in memory. The original DDR standard—short for “Double Data Rate”—succeeded Single Data Rate RAM way back in 2000, and we’re currently on DDR version 4. DDR3 RAM introduced in 2007 is still used in older or cheaper PCs.
Each successive version of DDR increased the memory bus and speed capabilities of the RAM module format, leading to increased performance. But what’s really important to remember is that the standards are not backward- or forward-compatible. If your laptop or motherboard is rated for DDR3 memory modules, it can only use DDR3, not DDR2 or DDR4. The physical slots for the different standards don’t even match, so it should be impossible to install the wrong DDR standard anyway.
A motherboard’s RAM slots can operate at speeds below their maximum without issue. So if your motherboard accepts DDR4 RAM at up to 3600MHz, but you’ve found a sweet deal on modules rated for a maximum of 2400MHz, feel free to install them.
Also note that your motherboard may not run your RAM at its advertised speed out of the box. If you buy DDR4-3600 RAM and your motherboard supports anything up to DDR4-3400, it may still clock it to the lowest setting by default—say, DDR4-3000. You’ll want to head into your computer’s BIOS and set it to the correct speed, either by enabling Intel’s extreme memory profile (XMP) or by adjusting the speed yourself.
Also note that installing non-matching RAM DIMMs (which have different speed and timing ratings) is generally OK—your motherboard is smart enough to handle the different hardware. But in each case, the system will clock down to match the slowest memory module it has access to, so buying faster RAM to mix with slower RAM doesn’t have any real benefit. Where possible, it’s best to match new RAM with old RAM.
https://www.howtogeek.com/303455/how-does-ram-speed-and-timing-affect-my-pcs-performance/

TRENDING THREADS