I7 New Build Vista 64 Install Help Needed??

refractoryman

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
mb ASUS P6T
i7 920 cpu
6 gb OCZ ram
640gb Western Digital Black HDD
DVD/CD
OS Vista 64

I have gotten past some minor issues on my new build. Now on the Vista 64 installation it goes all the way to completion with no errors and says it must restart, which is typical. But then it goes right back into booting off the DVD/CD drive and starts a fresh install. I tried removing the DVD/CD but that did not work. Could having the bios set to ACHI have anything to do with it? Suggestions??

tecmo34

Administrator
My suggestion is when the computer restarts... go into the BIOS and adjust your boot sequence to boot from the HDD and not the DVD/CD. This should make the Windows boot from the installed Windows instead of the DVD/CD...

If you have already tried this... sorry for recommending something you already tried!

refractoryman

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Some things I did and Vista finally loaded. Maybe somebody can explain?

1) Floppy drive power connector was noy connected. Had to connect

2) SATA drives in IDE mode not AHCI

3) Had to connect the HDD & DVD/Cd SATA controller cables in the same order as the boot menu. Eaxample; DVD/CD Boot 1 had to be connected to SATA 1. HDD Boot 2 had to connected to SATA 2. Someone explain this? I thought it did not matter what conbination the contrioller cables were connected. But once I did this, Vista loaded with no problems from there on. Updates and all.