I7 Rig Freezing

parks

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Hi,

I have had my i7 920 system running nicely for about 6 months. However, in the last couple weeks it has started freezing up on me and I'm not sure why.

My rig consists of:
i7 920 & 2.66Ghz
Asus P6T Deluxe v1
BFG Nvidia GTX 260 @ stock speed
6GB Patriot Viper Series @ 1600
Corsair 620W Modular Power Supply
CoolerMaster V8
Seagate 7200.12 1TB
Seagate 7200.11 750GB
Antec 900 v2 Case
21.5" Samsung Monitor @ 1920x1080
Vista Home Premium 64bit

It started doing it when I was playing Call of Duty 5, however it is now doing it whenever it wants. I originally installed the new Nvidia drivers but I reverted back to the old ones when my problems started happening. I ran Prime95 and initially it would only take my CPU to 94%. After a restart it appeared to run fine. I went to bed and after about 6 hours it started crapping out. It was originally finishing the tests on each worker about the same time, but as time went by, one worker kept lagging behind. As time goes by, it got further and further behind before the system eventually froze.

I then ran MemTest86 and it crapped out after 7%.

I'm confident I have enough power behind it and my temps are good.

Any suggestions as to what it might be or any ideas of tests I can run?

That's pretty interesting. I'm suspecting the board right off.
Asus is apparently working a bit harder on their support lately. You should open a ticket with them. Who knows they might send you a V2.

I would probably check the BIOS updates to see if anything interesting has been released.

Then I might try a complete reformat and re-install, in case it was the OS. Maybe you have caught some virus that is parking on that one core?

tweak13

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
If memtest is crapping out at 7% start testing the individual sticks man, if one of them are dead its a much easier fix than ripping out your Mobo for a new one.

+1

Properly functioning RAM should not get any errors at all in Memtest86+ with the RAM speed/timings/voltage set to the manufacturer's specs. Did you manually set the RAM settings in the BIOS?

parks

Distinguished
May 21, 2009

I am using the XMP profile for the memory. I will try and test each stick individually tonight.

parks

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Windows still registers 6GB but Vista is messed at the best if times. I haven't really found anything that explicitly points my problem at memory but it is good start.

My pc has the same mobo, cpu, vga, and ram. Running with no problems @3.3. I am using bios 1504 4/24/2009. There are a number of bios fixes that address ram issues. I initially installed a later version which was still in the beta stage, but it was unstable. You might check out the latest updates, and what the fixes address.

As others have said, memtest86+ should run clean with NO errors.
I did not use the xmp profiles; I just let the ram default.
That results in dram=480,fsb to dram=2:6, timings 4-6-6-18 1T.

Check that your cooler is still on securely, and that there is no dust accumulation in the case.