I7 Rig Running Ridiculously Slow, Ideas Appreciated!

captroper

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Best answers
Hi Guys,

I recently Built a I7 Rig,

Proc: I7 920
Mobo: Asus P6T
GPU: BFG GTX 260
Power Supply: Antec 750W Earthwatt
Ram: 6 Gigs OCZ DDR3-1600
Hard Drives:
System Drive: Western Digital 250Gig 7200Rpm non-green drive
3 other seagate drives
Generic IDE dvd drive
Coolermaster V8 for cooling

I was previously running windows 7 64 bit RC on this system (substituting a Amd Phenom 9550 and Asus Board with DDR2 Ram).

I swapped the Mobo, Processor and Ram and the system started hanging and running really slowly. I figured it was just that I hadn't reformatted, so I did that and it was still running ridiculously slow and hanging. I tried reformatting again with another burned copy of 7, same deal, so I tried burning a disc at 1x speed and it did the same thing again.

Also, it was taking forever to install the OS (longer then an hour), I did some googling and found that disabling the floppy drive in the bios, then reformatting had fixed the issue for some people. I did this and it still ran very slow (though the install time was vastly decreased).

Next I updated the bios and it still was running slow upon a reboot, I just reformatted again after updating the bios and it's still running slow.

I haven't run any benchmarks, but I have tried DPC latency checker which shows nothing, task manager shows the processor never going over 2% and ram never going over 30%, yet whenever I try to run multiple things or simply do multiple things at once the system hangs and programs stop responding.

It's getting to the point where when I try to end a program or process that isn't responding task manager stops responding.

I'm thinking of maybe swapping the disk drive for a sata drive instead of ide but I can't imagine this would be the problem,

any ideas on what to do next?

Thanks,

Adam

captroper

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Best answers
I haven't run any benchmarks, but when I try to do more than anything at once, things stop responding. For Instance, it is currently transferring files from one hard drive to another. I clicked on control panel and it took 6 minutes to open, I then clicked on windows update and that is now not responding,

Thanks,

Adam

4745454b

Titan
Apr 29, 2006
Best answers
You can use disk utilities to check the drive, but I'd start with the ram. memtest will hopfully reveal whats going on. Also double check your ram settings, make sure they are correct.

Outlander_04

Titan
BANNED
Nov 18, 2008
Best answers
hard drives are pretty fragile . Just moving them can damage them sometimes .

if your boot drive is sata and you have Partitioned it and then formatted it then Id try disconnecting every hard drive except the boot drive and seeinf that makes a change .

Probably you need a new hdd

captroper

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Best answers
Thanks for your prompt reply's,

The ram settings are correct, I'm running memtest at the moment

The boot drive is a sata drive and I disconnected all other drives every time, It's actually a new drive but it did work with the other mobo, I'll run disk utilities after the memtest.

Also, another development,

when I leave the computer running and come back to pop it out of sleep, it doesn't come out of sleep and when I turn it off and on it actually won't post at all. Simply power-cycling it has it post within 3 seconds

Thanks,

Adam

captroper

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Best answers
Memtest results: All three sticks of ram pass a memtest one at a time but it doesn't ever go past 7% when I test them at once

Thanks,

Adam

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS