I7 Rig Running Ridiculously Slow, Ideas Appreciated!

captroper

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Hi Guys,

I recently Built a I7 Rig,

Proc: I7 920
Mobo: Asus P6T
GPU: BFG GTX 260
Power Supply: Antec 750W Earthwatt
Ram: 6 Gigs OCZ DDR3-1600
Hard Drives:
System Drive: Western Digital 250Gig 7200Rpm non-green drive
3 other seagate drives
Generic IDE dvd drive
Coolermaster V8 for cooling

I was previously running windows 7 64 bit RC on this system (substituting a Amd Phenom 9550 and Asus Board with DDR2 Ram).

I swapped the Mobo, Processor and Ram and the system started hanging and running really slowly. I figured it was just that I hadn't reformatted, so I did that and it was still running ridiculously slow and hanging. I tried reformatting again with another burned copy of 7, same deal, so I tried burning a disc at 1x speed and it did the same thing again.

Also, it was taking forever to install the OS (longer then an hour), I did some googling and found that disabling the floppy drive in the bios, then reformatting had fixed the issue for some people. I did this and it still ran very slow (though the install time was vastly decreased).

Next I updated the bios and it still was running slow upon a reboot, I just reformatted again after updating the bios and it's still running slow.

I haven't run any benchmarks, but I have tried DPC latency checker which shows nothing, task manager shows the processor never going over 2% and ram never going over 30%, yet whenever I try to run multiple things or simply do multiple things at once the system hangs and programs stop responding.

It's getting to the point where when I try to end a program or process that isn't responding task manager stops responding.

I'm thinking of maybe swapping the disk drive for a sata drive instead of ide but I can't imagine this would be the problem,

any ideas on what to do next?

Thanks,

Adam

captroper

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I haven't run any benchmarks, but when I try to do more than anything at once, things stop responding. For Instance, it is currently transferring files from one hard drive to another. I clicked on control panel and it took 6 minutes to open, I then clicked on windows update and that is now not responding,

Thanks,

Adam

hard drives are pretty fragile . Just moving them can damage them sometimes .

if your boot drive is sata and you have Partitioned it and then formatted it then Id try disconnecting every hard drive except the boot drive and seeinf that makes a change .

Probably you need a new hdd

captroper

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Thanks for your prompt reply's,

The ram settings are correct, I'm running memtest at the moment

The boot drive is a sata drive and I disconnected all other drives every time, It's actually a new drive but it did work with the other mobo, I'll run disk utilities after the memtest.

Also, another development,

when I leave the computer running and come back to pop it out of sleep, it doesn't come out of sleep and when I turn it off and on it actually won't post at all. Simply power-cycling it has it post within 3 seconds

Thanks,

Adam

captroper

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Memtest results: All three sticks of ram pass a memtest one at a time but it doesn't ever go past 7% when I test them at once

Thanks,

Adam