Question i7 vs i5

but that i7- has 8therads and intel hyperthading so its actualy 8core at 2.8ghz vs 4core at 3.3ghz for cpu demanding games such as (nfs payback, gta v, witcher 3, pubg, the i7 is better
You can't just compare clock rates, since those processors are from different generations, and the i5-2500 offers better performance per clock. Plus, while Hyperthreading can allow the i7 to better handle more than 4 threads by allowing 2 threads to run on each core, that doesn't perform as well as actually having 8 cores. Judging by this UserBenchmark comparison, the 2500 should be faster in most games, and that i7 might only manage to catch up in some heavily-threaded titles. It's possible that the i7 could encounter less stuttering in some modern titles, but overall, it's lower performance per core is likely to be more of a limitation.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-860-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2500/m841vsm517

Reactions: AngelTech and boju

pctests99

Prominent
Apr 29, 2018
You can't just compare clock rates, since those processors are from different generations, and the i5-2500 offers better performance per clock. Plus, while Hyperthreading can allow the i7 to better handle more than 4 threads by allowing 2 threads to run on each core, that doesn't perform as well as actually having 8 cores. Judging by this UserBenchmark comparison, the 2500 should be faster in most games, and that i7 might only manage to catch up in some heavily-threaded titles. It's possible that the i7 could encounter less stuttering in some modern titles, but overall, it's lower performance per core is likely to be more of a limitation.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-860-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2500/m841vsm517
well sorry to brake your mood but cpuuserbenchmarik is shit and so is game debate, only gpuuserbenchmark is good just open cpuuserbenchmar and you will see that an i5-2500 3.3Ghz 4core 4threads is 1% better than i7-2600 3.4GHz 4core 8threads now that aint real

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
Do you want a nissan gtr or do you want a porshe?Same shyt different smell what you don't realize is that the single threaded work load matters for games.The 2500k should be faster in single threaded.Then there's only a hand full of games that makes use of more than 4 cores.Hell i have a ryzen 5 2600 and i am not close to even maxing this cpu.Highest game i ran was forza horizon 3.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Between the i7 860 or a 2500 is a hard choice though. Depends what games you want to play, all games pretty much since gta5 scale well on more cores/threads, not a handful. 2500's ipc is better but 4 cores isn't enough today. 860's hyperthreading will help but it's ipc isn't as strong so arguably would not see a huge difference.

I would avoid this dilemma all together and at minimum get a 2600. Or go Ryzen.

i7s since Sandy & Ivy Bridge are still viable today in modern games thanks to HT. Four cores in the same era have gone with the wind. Put in a decent gpu pairing with any 4c, old or modern 4c, the fps alone will ramp up cpu usages trying to prepare frames.

Its wise to have a powerful cpu, it's no fun running it 100%.

well sorry to brake your mood but cpuuserbenchmarik is shit and so is game debate, only gpuuserbenchmark is good just open cpuuserbenchmar and you will see that an i5-2500 3.3Ghz 4core 4threads is 1% better than i7-2600 3.4GHz 4core 8threads now that aint real
That "effective speed" number is just an estimate of how the processor is expected to run in most software, and since most software tends to be lightly threaded, they don't give much weight to the i7's Hyperthreading. As a result, when comparing the i5-2500 with the i7-2600, the processors are shown to offer very similar performance at most tasks, since they are both clocked similar and based on the same generation of architecture. UserBenchmark provides multiple results though, and some are more relevant than others. "Effective speed" is probably best left for comparing processor with the same core/thread count, as it doesn't really tell much about how performance will compare in more heavily-threaded workloads.

If you scroll down a bit to the "Average User Bench" section though, you can see where the processors diverge. The i7-2600 offers better performance when all 8 of its threads are being heavily utilized (MC Mixed), which is something you might see in a heavily multithreaded game like Battlefield V. Most existing games should perform fairly similar on either processor, but those extra threads will likely provide more benefit in an increasing number of games as time goes on, as well as when multitasking while gaming.

If we go back to the i5-2500 vs i7-860 comparison though, it should be pretty clear that the newer i5 offers better performance per thread, which will result in it performing better in lightly threaded workloads that tend to be more common, even if the older i7 might manage to make up the difference when all of its threads are being utilized. You can find this mirrored by reviews too, though since these are older processors released a number of years ago, you are unlikely to see any heavily-threaded games in those reviews. You'll also likely need to check reviews for the i5-2500K, which is the unlocked version of the processor most sites reviewed, but since it is clocked the same as the i5-2500, any non-overclocked results should be the same. In general, the 2500/2500K should outperform or match prior i7s in most software.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Most existing games should perform fairly similar on either processor, but those extra threads will likely provide more benefit in an increasing number of games as time goes on, as well as when multitasking while gaming.

Most existing games would be in the category of 2010. Games for quite a while now have been taking advantage of the extra threads, its not a recent thing. I turn off HT and i get higher usages and fps decrease in Ghost Recon, Dying Light, Doom 2016, Farcry 4, Primal, 5 and ND.