I7 vs I9 for live streaming

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hey guys,

The price advantage for an I7 is obvious, but when it comes to streaming...

My friend who is a streamer doesn't know much about hardware so he won't be OC'ing. He will be playing the newest games as well.

Will the extra cores in the I9 give him a big advantage power-wise?

The i9 7900X and X299 chipset are very expensive compared to the R7-1700/1800 rigs....; as in, about $650 more for cpu, and $200-$300 more for mainboard....

I'd try hard to find an R7 1700 solution, and put the $900 saved towards a GTX1080Ti...or a pair of GTX1080s...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If it's just for streaming, not really. An I7 will be fine. Unless running a workstation, some VMs and a bunch of other tasks, no real reason to get I9... BUT, if money is no object...

You mentioned no plans to overclock, but just tossing in the fact that I9s turn into power sucking space heaters when you OC them. Just in case they change their mind later.

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Thank you. He needs it pretty soon, but something tells me it would be smarter to wait for the next generation of i7 since they've focused on i9 recently.

Oct 22, 2012
Would you want to wait for Threadripper to come out first? Then you will have more options to choose from and it should bring Intel prices down.
Also are we talking about 8-6 Core i7's?

You wouldn't need more than 8 Cores.

X299 platform isnt receiving much praise atm

Shotta06

Honorable
May 4, 2017
OMG so annoying when someone asks about Intel products and people try and throw AMD down your throat and vice versa. He asked about 2 Intel branded products so help him or keep quite.

The answer is YES the i9 would be advantageous over the current selections of i7s for streaming. Especially if he will be streaming, gaming, browing the internet same time, etc. More cores= better multitasking.

If you won't be O.Cing you won't have the heating issues.

Oct 22, 2012
I find it equally annoying when someone doesn’t suggest anything outside the box to the questioner other than choosing A or B absolutely like some mindless drone. (Unless his specified ONLY A &B and doesnt want anything else suggested)

Firstly I mentioned threadripper because it *should* come out late this month and may offer more performance. If not it will likely force intel to drop prices on their chips if Tread is as successful as Ryzen was. Imagine if his friend brought an i9 now for it to drop in price by $250 next month? Even if Thread is a no, prices can still come down saving money

That, in my opinion, is offering another helpful answer because people have already suggested i9 this or i7 that.

I would think the i7 8 Core variant would be enough for his needs as already suggested.

Perhaps you should comment with a less aggressive tone next time.

More cores does not always create more performance. You still have to use an application that can make use of the extra cores.

In this case, the performance difference would not justify the increased price. Get a standard i7, and some high quality peripherals. The end result would be much higher production value, which is oh so much more important in streaming than slightly more performance. Quiet keyboard, quality microphone, good webcam and possibly a greenscreen.

When has anyone ever said "I like this streamer because of their i9 processor" compared to "wow the microphone quality is phenomenal"

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I asked the question the way I did for a reason. All other input than the exact difference between an i7 and i9 is most likely something I already know :)

Thank you all regardless for your input. I still don't have exact figures telling me how big an advantage an i9 would be, but I didn't exactly expect that either. Closest I've come to exact information is: http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2961-intel-i9-7900x-review-benchmarks-game-streaming-vr-premiere

... but often it's always good to have second opinions and I don't know if the review was bought by Intel or if it's accurate.