I72600s vs. i52400s What's the difference.

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
For (probably) 50% more money you get:
- 10% boost in frequencies (which would sugest a cherry-picked CPU, so a slightly lower-consuming at same frequencies)
- 33% extra cache (6MB vs 8MB)
- doubling of processsor count (although not every workload will see a doubling of performance as doubling the cores themselves)

Please be aware that the higher you go, the more you pay for less performance difference.

viva_ron_paul

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
It's like you said at the end. In reality most things you do on the processor rarely even use those higher end qualities. So unless you are an extreme gamer, multitasking video editor, or something along those lines of high power consumption, the extra money is just down the toilet. Or am i wrong?

bartholomew

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011

Of course.
People who are extreme gamers or do editing and stuff, would prefer a high end CPU (like the i7 series) for smooth operations.
Someone who does non of the above, who'll use his/her PC for Internet browsing, music, DVDs..etc, A decent dual core or quad core should suffice.
Whereas gaming is concerned, A good GPU is more important for games.
A good quad core CPU like the phenom IIx4 or the i5 combined with a good GPU, you'll be able to play most games there is to play.(Maybe not on Ultra/High settings)

Comparing the Intel® Core™ i5-2500 and the Intel Core i7-2600 the differences that you will find between these processors is that the Intel Core i7-2600 has...

-Hyper-threading
-100MHz faster clock speed
-2MB of additional cache

So for normal user or a gamer these changes may not make any difference at all but for some doing heavily multi-threaded work like Adobe CS they can pay off with additional performance.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

their is no reason to go for an i7-2600k over an i5-2500k for a gamer even if the difference was only 20$