[SOLVED] i74790 running hot

Sep 28, 2020
My Poocessor i7 4790 . When i Pressure on my cpu than my Cpu Core1 ,Core2, Core3 , Core4 Usually Stay on 100 Degree Celcious . but my socket max temperature is 66 Degree Celcious . Please Tell Me Why ?

Solution
i7 4790
Gammaxx 200T

... using this processor for 1 month ... normal cpu paste ... Core1 , Core2, Core3 , Core4 ... go to 100 degrees in 1-2 seconds ... CPU socket goes up to around 66 Degree ...

1. You installed the cooler improperly ... don't have enough mounting pressure ... uneven mounting pressure, causing the heatsink not to cool that core ... tighten the posts ... 1-2 turns per screw at a time ...

2. temperature sensor isn't accurate. It's not all that common for the physical sensor to be malfunctioning, and it's even more common for the software to not be reading things properly ...

Quanticriver,

Respectfully, although your 1st point is correct concerning an improperly installed cooler, the...
Sep 28, 2020
The I7 4790 is notorious for running hot, but yours is definately running too hot

What are you cooling it with? (cpu cooler) is it securely fastened?
How long has it been running for? (how many years, months)
have you changed the TIM? (cpu cooler paste)
Cpu Cooler is Gammaxx 200T . I have been using this processor for 1 month . i used normal cpu paste . When I Pressured on CPU , the CPU cores go to 100 degrees in 1-2 seconds. And the temperature of the CPU socket goes up to around 66 Degree celcious

1. There is an issue with your thermal paste, it's possibly not spread enough or has a large air bubble over that core. Re-apply paste
  2. You installed the cooler improperly and either don't have enough mounting pressure, or have uneven mounting pressure, causing the heatsink not to cool that core. When tightening down the cooler, make sure to tighten the posts down at about the same rate in an X pattern. Typically I'll do just 1-2 turns per screw at a time, moving around the pattern until they bottom out.
  3. The temperature sensor isn't accurate. It's not all that common for the physical sensor to be malfunctioning, and it's even more common for the software to not be reading things properly. Not much you can do about this. If it's the sensor itself, you can RMA it or ignore it.

Reactions: Dsplover
Sep 28, 2020
  1. There is an issue with your thermal paste, it's possibly not spread enough or has a large air bubble over that core. Re-apply paste
  2. You installed the cooler improperly and either don't have enough mounting pressure, or have uneven mounting pressure, causing the heatsink not to cool that core. When tightening down the cooler, make sure to tighten the posts down at about the same rate in an X pattern. Typically I'll do just 1-2 turns per screw at a time, moving around the pattern until they bottom out.
  3. The temperature sensor isn't accurate. It's not all that common for the physical sensor to be malfunctioning, and it's even more common for the software to not be reading things properly. Not much you can do about this. If it's the sensor itself, you can RMA it or ignore it.
Thank You Very Much

Reactions: Quanticriver

CompuTronix

Intel Master
i7 4790
Gammaxx 200T

... using this processor for 1 month ... normal cpu paste ... Core1 , Core2, Core3 , Core4 ... go to 100 degrees in 1-2 seconds ... CPU socket goes up to around 66 Degree ...

1. You installed the cooler improperly ... don't have enough mounting pressure ... uneven mounting pressure, causing the heatsink not to cool that core ... tighten the posts ... 1-2 turns per screw at a time ...

2. temperature sensor isn't accurate. It's not all that common for the physical sensor to be malfunctioning, and it's even more common for the software to not be reading things properly ...

Quanticriver,

Respectfully, although your 1st point is correct concerning an improperly installed cooler, the Deepcool Gammaxx 200T does not have any "screws" to turn to secure the cooler to the motherboard. Instead, the cooler has "push-pins" similar to the problematic design found on Intel stock coolers.

Your 2nd point is also correct concerning monitoring software, however, Intel's multicore processors do not have a single "sensor" to measure Core temperatures. Instead, each Core has its own individual Digital Thermal Sensor (DTS) which functions independently from the other Cores.

It is indeed rare for one individual Core temperature sensor (DTS) to fail on a Quad Core processor, but not all 4. If you'd like to learn more, then click on the link in my signature.

tokitahmid4,

Although the Gammaxx 200T has push pins, if they're not completely inserted through the motherboard and backplate, and properly latched, then just as with Intel stock coolers, the problem you're experiencing is very common. Also, verify that before you installed the cooler, you removed the protective plastic shield from the bottom of the cooler heat pipes.

Run your rig again using the same load to reproduce the problem while firmly pushing on each of the 4 corners of the cooler for at least 30 seconds. When you see the Core temperatures drop, you've identified which push-pin is loose.

Check the back of the motherboard using a strong light to carefully inspect each push-pin, comparing it to its neighbors. If all push-pins are equally inserted and properly latched, then all push-pins should look identical. If not, then correct the loose push-pin and repeat your test.

Further, as Quanticriver correctly pointed out, many monitoring utilities do not receive needed updates and may misreport, mislabel or "offset" certain sensor values, which can be highly misleading and confusing. Moreover, Core i 4th generation processors do not have a "Socket" temperature, so whatever utility you're using is mislabeling another sensor such as, for example, the motherboard PCH (Platform Controller Hub).

Processor heat originates deep within the Cores, which is where the highest temperatures are located near the transistor junctions. Even though 100°C is "Throttle" temperature for the i7-4790, the consensus among well informed and highly experienced reviewers, system builders and expert overclockers, as well as Intel's own engineers, is that it's prudent to observe a reasonable thermal margin below Throttle temperature for ultimate stability, performance and longevity.

Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

PdancCI.jpg

Core temperatures increase and decrease with ambient (room) temperature, for which the International Standard for "normal" is 22°C or 72°F.

For simple Core temperature monitoring, "Core Temp" is frequently updated and is know to be quite accurate. For very detailed monitoring, HWiNFO (Hardware Info) is also frequently updated and is trusted for accuracy among knowledgeable users.

CT :sol:

Reactions: Quanticriver
Solution

Dsplover

Prominent
Feb 23, 2020
I’ve got a pair of 2 year old 4790k’s @ 4GHz in 1U RackMounts.
Dynatron Low Profile coolers. I push all 4 cores 24/7 @ 75-95% and never go above 75C.
They were delidded according to my tech because I only need a base of 4GHz but didn’t like my older 4790’s these replaced because they would climb to 85C after an hour or so. Still worked fine but at outdoor events it made me nervous hence the delidded pair.

My rigs are low latency, single core based apps (mostly).
Waiting for Tiger Lake or Cezanne.

8086k moved the needle a little, but the 4790’s are tough single core performers.

Tiger Lake or Cezanne will make me swap again. I should get both and see which one is a 24/7 performer.