Question I7700k + MSI Z170A + 32GB RAM 3200mhz

Sep 17, 2022
Mainly, I apologize if my English isn't very good, my problem is the following, I have a microprocessor I7700k, MOBO MSI Z170A Gaming M3 (updated bios) and 16GB of RAM (2x8) Vengeance LPX running without any problem at 3200mhz using XMP, now I have added another 16GB of ram (2x8) Vengeance LPX, leaving a total of 32GB (4x8) but the maximum frequency that I can reach even with XMP is from 2400mhz, if I put in XMP all automatic, the frequency changes to 3200mhz but when applying the changes, the PC restarts leaving the screen in black, and after a few minutes it throws me an error, in which it tells me to apply the default values.

Is there any solution to reach the 3200 frequency or any frequency higher than 2400?, Thanks!.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If XMP isn't working, take the worse of the two timings between your sticks and set them all manually to that and see if it works. You may also need to increase DRAM voltage slightly to get stability with 4 sticks.

Would need the exact memory module specifications to say much more.

Mixing memory is not recommended because of the problems you are seeing.

Sep 17, 2022

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not really seeing anything in the manual.

If you had slots 3 and 4 occupied and added memory that resulted in slots 1 and 2 being filled, you may have had the memory in the wrong slots to begin with.

Slot 2 first
Slot 4 second
then 1 and 3.

I suggest trying to put the original memory in 2 and 4 and then add the new ones to 1 and 3. Try increasing the DRAM voltage to 1.36.

MSI has some sort of Memory Try It! option in the BIOS, might be worth a shot. After that, manually setting the timings is probably best.

Sep 17, 2022
Not really seeing anything in the manual.

If you had slots 3 and 4 occupied and added memory that resulted in slots 1 and 2 being filled, you may have had the memory in the wrong slots to begin with.

Slot 2 first
Slot 4 second
then 1 and 3.

I suggest trying to put the original memory in 2 and 4 and then add the new ones to 1 and 3. Try increasing the DRAM voltage to 1.36.

MSI has some sort of Memory Try It! option in the BIOS, might be worth a shot. After that, manually setting the timings is probably best.

The original memories were always in slot 2 and 4, the new ones I put them in slot 1 and 3. Regarding the change of the "timing" I do not know what values I should put, are the values that appear in the second image I uploaded?

About "Memory Try It!" I've seen that option, but there were options like "Samsung, Hynix, Micron" and I didn't know what to select, but I'll do a test, sorry for so many questions, the truth is that I don't know much about this.

Regarding the change of the "timing" I do not know what values I should put, are the values that appear in the second image I uploaded?
If automatic ram overclock (XMP) is not working properly, then overclock ram manually
Set latencies to 16-18-18-36 (XMP-3200 settings),
Command rate 2T,​
DDR voltage 1.35V.​

Start with frequency 2400mhz.
Then increase it step by step 2600, 2800, 2933, 3000,3200mhz.
Test after each step.
At some point it will probably fail, then return to previous settings, that worked.

Sep 17, 2022
If automatic ram overclock (XMP) is not working properly, then overclock ram manually
Set latencies to 16-18-18-36 (XMP-3200 settings),
Command rate 2T,​
DDR voltage 1.35V.​

Start with frequency 2400mhz.
Then increase it step by step 2600, 2800, 2933, 3000,3200mhz.
Test after each step.
At some point it will probably fail, then return to previous settings, that worked.

Thanks for your comment, I did what you told me, it only works up to 2600mhz frequency, if I put 2800mhz or more, the monitor goes black and after a while I get an error to load a previous profile.

What I did was to activate XMP, in frequency profile (2600, 2800 etc), in the memory voltage I put 1.350 and in "timing" I used the values you told me.

View: https://imgur.com/S6xxHU4

View: https://imgur.com/CTszPow

In the last image I tried with the 2933mhz frequency but it doesn't work either.

artk2219

Distinguished
Thanks for your comment, I did what you told me, it only works up to 2600mhz frequency, if I put 2800mhz or more, the monitor goes black and after a while I get an error to load a previous profile.

What I did was to activate XMP, in frequency profile (2600, 2800 etc), in the memory voltage I put 1.350 and in "timing" I used the values you told me.

View: https://imgur.com/S6xxHU4

View: https://imgur.com/CTszPow

In the last image I tried with the 2933mhz frequency but it doesn't work either.

DDR4 2400 is the max "supported' memory speed for the I7 7700K so it would make sense that the BIOS defaults to that if it senses some tolerance issues with your RAM kit. Have you tried seeing if it'll let you set the speed higher without XMP enabled and without messing with the timings for testing? Also try just the new kit on its own in the RAM slots of the old kit to see if itll let you run it at 3200, if it wont then it doesn't like something with that new kit. Also honestly with an I7 7700K if is far less RAM dependant than a Ryzen 1000 or 2000 of similar vintage would be, you may not notice too much of a difference in most things between 2400 and 3200 mhz. That said, if your bumping into capacity limits with 16GB then the bump to 32GB will most definitely be more noticeable than the speed difference between the kits

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022
DDR4 2400 is the max "supported' memory speed for the I7 7700K so it would make sense that the BIOS defaults to that if it senses some tolerance issues with your RAM kit. Have you tried seeing if it'll let you set the speed higher without XMP enabled and without messing with the timings for testing? Also try just the new kit on its own in the RAM slots of the old kit to see if itll let you run it at 3200, if it wont then it doesn't like something with that new kit. Also honestly with an I7 7700K if is far less RAM dependant than a Ryzen 1000 or 2000 of similar vintage would be, you may not notice too much of a difference in most things between 2400 and 3200 mhz. That said, if your bumping into capacity limits with 16GB then the bump to 32GB will most definitely be more noticeable than the speed difference between the kits

I understand what you say, what I don't understand then is why with 16gb of ram it worked at 3200mhz, now that I added 16gb more (same memories, brand, frequency) I cann't get them to work.... I should try changing the new ones to the place of the old ones, I don't know the reason, but it doesn't cost anything to try, i guess.

Sorry if it sounds obvious but I don't understand much about this :)

Reactions: artk2219
I don't understand then is why with 16gb of ram it worked at 3200mhz, now that I added 16gb more (same memories, brand, frequency) I cann't get them to work....
Because you have 4 ram modules now. And they are not identical (different ram kits, different dram chip manufacturer - Samsung and Micron).
If you got 2x16GB ram module kit instead, it would work just fine in 3200mhz mode.

what I don't understand then is why with 16gb of ram it worked at 3200mhz, now that I added 16gb more (same memories, brand, frequency) I cann't get them to work...
This is known as the silicon lottery. Just because the DIMMs are the same speed, timings, voltage, the issue is that they are made in different batch of chips.

It's often the case that if they are not a 4x matched kit, they will not work. There is no guarantee they will work, and you take the risk with buying ram without considering this.

It may be possible with some tinkering around (As Eximo has suggested), but if you already have issue, and you are not familiar with the bios, the tinkering may make things worse.

artk2219

Distinguished
Now I understand, thanks for the explanation, then the maximum I can put is 2600mhz, a higher value unfortunately doesn't work for me (n)
If im remembering correctly, anything over 2800 is kind of hit or miss performance wise with a 7700K anyway, so 2600 gets you close enough (assuming thats stable). Even between 2133 and 3200 id be surprised if its a noticable difference in performance in anything that isnt crazy memory sensitive, id be surprised if its even up to a 5% difference on most things. I wouldnt worry about it, id enjoy the extra capacity and maybe the next build (if you upgrade to something that uses DDR4) can get the most out of your sticks.

Sep 17, 2022
If im remembering correctly, anything over 2800 is kind of hit or miss performance wise with a 7700K anyway, so 2600 gets you close enough (assuming thats stable). Even between 2133 and 3200 id be surprised if its a noticable difference in performance in anything that isnt crazy memory sensitive, id be surprised if its even up to a 5% difference on most things. I wouldnt worry about it, id enjoy the extra capacity and maybe the next build (if you upgrade to something that uses DDR4) can get the most out of your sticks.

I have tested with some games, doing stream, and everything seems to be stable at 2600mhz, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions :)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Might just need better memory, you might have better luck with a 2x16GB kit. I ran my 7700k with 3000Mhz 2x8GB, even undervolted it from 1.2 volts to 1.15 to save a little heat buildup in the IMC. Never did try four stick though.

If the max speed is stuck at 2666, then you might also be able to tighten the timings down a lot. CL 13 kits existed.

The opposite is also true, you could try custom timings like a CL18 kit and see if it will boot then. Depends on if you want to prioritize bandwidth for work tasks, or latency for gaming.

Look up a good DDR4 overclocking guide, might lead you down a path that gets you a little more than you have now.