[SOLVED] i79700k Thermal Questions

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Been running this new build for a few weeks and overall Ive been happy with the performance. I decided for the heck of it to just check system stats as I run games. I've been using GPUTweaker 2 on my asus components.

On startup I see the CPU regularly stays around 36 C. Moving into games like Quake Champions, I see the CPU with 20 - 30 % usage (or at least what the gauge claims is 30 %) Im seeing around 60 - 70 C. Which just looking at thermals not considering the usage seemed ok to me . Then I moved onto a game like Planet Coaster ( a known CPU hog) I started thermals from 80 - 90 C. To me that is a slight alarm. I believe CPU was pushing 60 % usage from the gauge.

When I say gauge I mean the GPUTweak program.

Just curious if I should be concerned? The thermals for the most part didnt seem bad, but the CPU usage did seem a bit low to me for thermals that high.

I've seen mix answers from around the web. If there is an issue I know it be a matter of a bad contact with the heat sync on the CPU. But that's something I would like to avoid needed to do unless I had to.

Solution
When you say Dark Rock Pro 4, which configuration do you recommend? there are quite a few configurations listed.

I was looking at the FROZR , the reviews while positive, are limited and most have been tested on i5s or older i7s. Which to me would probably put me back in the same boat.
The Dark Rock Pro 4 is the BK022, the BK023 is the same cooler but for AMD Thread Ripper (AMD TR4) socket only. Then there is the Dark Rock 4 (non-Pro) which is a different cooler.

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
I am using the Deep Cool GAMMAX GT cooler.

Minus well post all my specs:

i7 9700K
ASUS RTX 2060 SUPER
16 GB of DDR4 RAM 2666
ASUS z390 PLUS Motherboard
SEASONIC GOLD PLUS 1000 W
Maybe not that important, but case has 4 fans plus the CPU cooler.

I am using the Deep Cool GAMMAX GT cooler.

Minus well post all my specs:

i7 9700K
ASUS RTX 2060 SUPER
16 GB of DDR4 RAM 2666
ASUS z390 PLUS Motherboard
SEASONIC GOLD PLUS 1000 W
Maybe not that important, but case has 4 fans plus the CPU cooler.
That's a decent cooler for a mid-range CPU, but Intel's i7-9700K (and i9-9900K) are overly hot running CPUs and require the best coolers to keep them from getting overly hot.

You will want to get a dual-tower 140mm air cooler like the Noctua NH-D15, Cryorig R1, or beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4.

or

A 280mm or 360mm AiO liquid cooler. Not sure what case you have, but hopefully it fits one of these or something close to it.

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Wow, those are quite a bit more then what I paid for the deepcool. I have an NZXT h700 case. I dont believe a much larger cooler would be an issue.

I don't plan on doing any sort of overclocking, at least at this point in time. And I'm trying to avoid stepping into liquid cooling. Now especially since Im hearing people say that its not that big of an improvement and in some cases actually worse than fans.

Will using duel tower require more CPU fan connectors on the motherboard? I used all mine, I'd need to potentially get an connector for it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't plan on doing any sort of overclocking, at least at this point in time. And I'm trying to avoid stepping into liquid cooling. Now especially since Im hearing people say that its not that big of an improvement and in some cases actually worse than fans.
I'd only like to add that gpus see the largest gains in temp reduction via liquid cooling. Everything else, not so much.
Those hybrid cooler models, or custom loop cooling, is worth it for gpus. Plus, they're not dumping their heat in the case and warming everything else up.

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Personally i'm terrified that a leak may present itself. Which is why I've stayed clear of using them in the past. Im no PC building guru. And anything like water damage would probably do my pc in.

I also looked at this MSI FROZR XL.

Whats the best cooler for the buck ? Or if liquid cooling really is recommended whats an easy reliable cooler for an LGA 1151 socket?

Thanks for the help so far everyone!

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Appreciate the feedback. the Noctura doesn't look readily available at the moment from the amazon links I looked at.

I was looking at the Dark Rock Pro 4, Id assume I would want the BK002 correct?

My current fan has a really cool RGB setup, was looking at the MSI FRZR XL, anyone have any insight into that cooler?

I was going to order today. Figure I give myself a little pet project to work on indoors If I get trapped this weekend due to that hurricane.

Appreciate the feedback. the Noctura doesn't look readily available at the moment from the amazon links I looked at.

I was looking at the Dark Rock Pro 4, Id assume I would want the BK002 correct?

My current fan has a really cool RGB setup, was looking at the MSI FRZR XL, anyone have any insight into that cooler?

I was going to order today. Figure I give myself a little pet project to work on indoors If I get trapped this weekend due to that hurricane.
I'm not familiar with the performance of that MSI FRZR XL. It's interesting because it is only 120mm but yet is has a high 250W TDP rating.

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
When you say Dark Rock Pro 4, which configuration do you recommend? there are quite a few configurations listed.

I was looking at the FROZR , the reviews while positive, are limited and most have been tested on i5s or older i7s. Which to me would probably put me back in the same boat.

The Dark Rock Pro 4 is the BK022, the BK023 is the same cooler but for AMD Thread Ripper (AMD TR4) socket only. Then there is the Dark Rock 4 (non-Pro) which is a different cooler.

Solution

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
I went with the DRP4, im loosing RGB, but I can always buy fans. The good news It only cost me 8 dollars thanks to my amazon reward points. Plus I also read the kit comes with a fan adapter so that makes installation a little easier. Im a little worried, Im not the best at installing coolers, I had a GAMMAXX 400 previously, albeit with a smaller case and had a lot of issues getting everything to fit. Which is why I moved to the GT , seeing it was smaller. Didn't realize the 9700k was a furnace. I've moved on to the much larger h700 from NZXT, but still use what I believe is a mid-atx motherboard Im hoping I won't have ram fitting issues. But im definitely bracing for it. Any tips would be appreciated. Im looking forward to the lower noise and lower thermals. the bench marks appear to be pretty solid.

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
So just wanted to post a quick follow up. I got the DR4Pro In the mail today. Quickly decided to put it together. Despite having yet another painful update. Oafy klutz with orge hands + massive cooler = overly long process to change CPU coolers.

However all the work ended up being wayyy worth it. I was honestly expecting 5 - 10 degree improvement. It ended up being 20 + degree decrease. Most of my tests stayed in the mid 40s!! It was a well with improvement. Thank you for answering my questions.

Reactions: MrN1ce9uy