[SOLVED] I9-10850k getting up to 70-80 degrees?

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Specs: i9-10850k
Msi z490 gaming plus mobo
Lian li galahad Aio 240
32gb of ram
Rtx 3080
Using a lian li lancool II case

I am a bit worried about temps with my cpu…i used NZXT CAM to watch cpu temps and used Msi afterburner for gpu temps.
I was playing Cyberpunk 2077 on high/ultra settings with DLSS Balanced and i saw my cpu getting up to 80 degrees.. and my gpu would be between 60-74. My cpu would fluctuate in temps but is that normal? Ive watched a good bit of youtube videos using the same cpu and they were much lower temps, i also am using everything stock (not OC) don’t know if i should go into bios and change fan curve for the aio (not good at bios stuff). Im just worried a bit…

Solution
i also am using everything stock (not OC)
Doesn't mean what it should. 'Stock' varies between boards:
-running an overclock enabled by default, via some all core enhancement feature of the motherboard, [I do not know what Msi calls theirs. Asus coined theirs Multi Core Enhancement.]
-running on practically unlimited(4096w) PL1 and PL2 limits, [doesn't affect games too much, since they generally don't cause the cpu to pull nowhere near that much power]
-or a software application you might have installed is overclocking the cpu, without you knowing - looking at you, Msi Dragon Center.
-actually run at the Intel-defined specs out of the box.

Do you have the AIO in position to 'get dunked on' by everything below it, due to...
if you're not pulling in enough cooler outside air then your CPU cooler can't function at it's optimal performance.

also if you're not exhausting enough warmed inside air from the case then your GPU, memory, motherboard, disks, etc will just add more heat causing even higher CPU temperatures.

you need a good balance of intake & exhaust for optimal cooling.

include your case fan placement, orientation, and RPM / speed curve being used.
i saw my cpu getting up to 80 degrees
while lower quality setups may reach into the 70s or even 80s,
with a nicer case and cooler and a good fan setup i would say anything over ~65°C is too high.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
i also am using everything stock (not OC)
-running an overclock enabled by default, via some all core enhancement feature of the motherboard, [I do not know what Msi calls theirs. Asus coined theirs Multi Core Enhancement.]
-running on practically unlimited(4096w) PL1 and PL2 limits, [doesn't affect games too much, since they generally don't cause the cpu to pull nowhere near that much power]
-or a software application you might have installed is overclocking the cpu, without you knowing - looking at you, Msi Dragon Center.

Do you have the AIO in position to 'get dunked on' by everything below it, due to the power used by them? If so, that would be one of the causes, even though the cpu probably uses a mere ~100w in that game.
IMO, if choosing to top mount a cpu AIO, it's more efficient to over-provision on size, because of everything below... but the Lancool II doesn't let users do that, as the top is limited to 240mm max.
Suggest swapping the positions of the cpu AIO and the front chassis fans - should see better cpu thermals with slightly higher gpu thermals, if they're not already in those positions. It's also not necessary to over-provision on the cpu AIO if front mounted.

If the AIO's pump is plugged into a dedicated liquid cooling header - those headers are set out of the box to run at a 100%. You can change it in bios if desired.
If it's plugged into any other header, it's going to be running on a predetermined curve. You can also change this in bios as desired.

But seriously, the temperature is plenty safe, FYI.

Solution

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
if you're not pulling in enough cooler outside air then your CPU cooler can't function at it's optimal performance.

also if you're not exhausting enough warmed inside air from the case then your GPU, memory, motherboard, disks, etc will just add more heat causing even higher CPU temperatures.

with a nicer case and cooler and a good fan setup i would say anything over ~65°C is too high.
Yea, i guess i would change that by increasing fan speed in case? I would say i have 7 fans total in my case (not including gpu) two on front panel for intake, for the inside i have some on my aio radiator thats towards the front but they are also pushing the air through, along with the rear and two top fans for exhaust. Id say my case isn’t roomy at all, its a bit compact, not necessarily a tight fit but.

I do not see a problem here.

Your gpu under load has good temperatures.
Many cards target 80c. and ramp up performance and cooling to that target.

The processor monitors it's own temperature and will throttle or even shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature. That point is around 100c.
I see no problem running games or apps even with peaks at 85c.

Could you do better??
Perhaps, but why bother?

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020

The processor monitors it's own temperature and will throttle or even shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature. That point is around 100c.

Could you do better??
Perhaps, but why bother?
Yea the gpu is fine as far as temps go, just more worried about my cpu at 80 degrees

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020

Could you do better??
Perhaps, but why bother?
My room does end up getting toasty too

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020

Do you have the AIO in position to 'get dunked on' by everything below it, due to the power used by them? If so, that would be one of the causes, even though the cpu probably uses a mere ~100w in that game.
IMO, if choosing to top mount a cpu AIO, it's more efficient to over-provision on size, because of everything below... but the Lancool II doesn't let users do that, as the top is limited to 240mm max.
Suggest swapping the positions of the cpu AIO and the front chassis fans - should see better cpu thermals with slightly higher gpu thermals, if they're not already in those positions. It's also not necessary to over-provision on the cpu AIO if front mounted.

If the AIO's pump is plugged into a dedicated liquid cooling header - those headers are set out of the box to run at a 100%. You can change it in bios if desired.
If it's plugged into any other header, it's going to be running on a predetermined curve. You can also change this in bios as desired.

But seriously, the temperature is plenty safe, FYI.
Yea the aio radiator is at the front only because of my motherboard/cpu power cords in the way, im also not to familiar with bios, i almost need help with that.

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Most 10850K models and 10900K models were not really known for running cool.....

What would be an ideal case or cooler?? I thought the Lian Li galahad would be good

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Checking the online manual for that motherboard, Msi calls their EZ OC 'Game Boost'. [I need to try to remember that for future reference.]
Should be easy enough to turn it off - if it's even on in the first place - bios default should be EZ mode and not Advanced, so it should be there as soon as you enter bios.

If you have Msi Dragon Center installed, please consider uninstalling it.

My room does end up getting toasty too
That is the result of how much power the system is using, not the operating temperatures.
A PC is a space heater, with the gpu usually being the biggest heating element of all the components inside.

It wouldn't matter if the cpu's and gpu cores were running at 80C or 60C, if the system uses up to 500w of power while playing games. [As an example, of course.]
That power gets dispersed into your room as heat, unless you brute force it with air conditioning or devise a means to direct the air exhausted from the PC immediately out of your room.

You don't really need to get another cooler unless you can prove the Galahad is busted. As I said earlier, 80C is still a safe operating temperature.
How much power does the cpu use while running CB2077? I don't know if CAM reports that - never used it - but hwinfo does.

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Checking the online manual for that motherboard, Msi calls their EZ OC 'Game Boost'. [I need to try to remember that for future reference.]
Should be easy enough to turn it off - if it's even on in the first place - bios default should be EZ mode and not Advanced, so it should be there as soon as you enter bios.

If you have Msi Dragon Center installed, please consider uninstalling it.

That is the result of how much power the system is using, not the operating temperatures.
A PC is a space heater, with the gpu usually being the biggest heating element of all the components inside.

It wouldn't matter if the cpu's and gpu cores were running at 80C or 60C, if the system uses up to 500w of power while playing games. [As an example, of course.]
That power gets dispersed into your room as heat, unless you brute force it with air conditioning or devise a means to direct the air exhausted from the PC immediately out of your room.

You don't really need to get another cooler unless you can prove the Galahad is busted. As I said earlier, 80C is still a safe operating temperature.
How much power does the cpu use while running CB2077? I don't know if CAM reports that - never used it - but hwinfo does.
Yea i know my 3080 is the main reason why its hot, even my 1080 ti would be a hot brick since it alwasy stayed in 70’s with a fan curve. So i would turn off EZ OC mode? I don’t think i have the msi dragon center installed either. Yea im glad i went with an 850w psu just for somewhat more headroom for power. I do need a fan curve for the fans in my case, im not too good with bios when it comes to the fans i have in my case. I literally need help with that….honestly. And what software would i use to check to see how my power the cpu is drawing out? Thank you for the info also, im getting so many different answers.. but you’d say 80 is fine for the cpu, i used CAM for that as mentioned above. Never seen it go any higher, i just worry about temps a lot, would you think a new case would help?? Like a corsair 5000D airflow or something or no?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So i would turn off EZ OC mode?
Yes. It's overclocking the cpu's core, but the automatic voltage curves lead to high temperatures.

And what software would i use to check to see how my power the cpu is drawing out?
Hwinfo, here: https://www.hwinfo.com/download/ (the green 'free download' button).
Run it in the background, play the game for a bit, then pull up hwinfo and check 'Cpu Package Power'. It's going to have a '⚡' icon next to it. The 3rd column should be the maximum value.

I do need a fan curve for the fans in my case, im not too good with bios when it comes to the fans i have in my case. I literally need help with that….honestly.
You're going to have to do some of this one on your own - finding a balance between higher fan rpm while still being something your ears are ok with.
It looks like you'll need to go into bios' Hardware Monitor to set fan speeds as desired.

i just worry about temps a lot, would you think a new case would help?? Like a corsair 5000D airflow or something or no?
No, since your current AIO is already mounted at the front for intake, that means the AIO should have access to the coolest air. It doesn't get much better than that.
The high, but still ok temperatures are most likely due to overclocks and cpu auto Vcore.