Question I9, 10850k or 11900k, or Ryzen 7 5800X?

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Just to be clear, I'm not deciding to buy anything....yet, i just want to know the better one, before making a move, i could even go down to the i7 or i5 if that's better for my scenarios.

From what i see, the 10850k has more cores (10 to 8) but the 11900k has slightly faster ones (5.3 against 5.2), they are exactly similarly priced here in India, and considering both work well with z590, I'm confused.

If anyone has any suitable AMD, I'm interested in hearing about it, but i think the highest i can go for their side is the 5800X, that's slightly cheaper than those two but the on-paper specs don't seem to fancy either.

As for me, my main use will be gaming, so I'm looking to pair it along with something 3070 Ti/80/6800/XT-ish, while it seems to be very overkill for a 1080p 165Hz i want to hit, I'd rather put all at once rather than upgrade it in 1.5-2 years or so, but as i said, no moves just right now, in the next 2-3 months though, yes

(I want to build it to last actually, i don't want to look for an upgrade anytime soon)

But i want to learn video editing and stuff like blender too, plus, i also stream on discord sometimes {my current 4 cores don't cut it though : (}, so if there's any other cpu that would do the job just fine (and at a lesser price), I'd like to hear about it as well. hope the reader doesn't mind the huge info, but i'll make a set-in-stone decision now, so better put all i need.

Also, the 12th gen is out of the equation, it's just too expensive here even with a B660, forget a Z690.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I wouldn't go 10th gen at this point. There is a lot of discussion that the 11700K and 11900K are just about a wash so far as performance and may depend a lot on the silicone lottery. The 5800X and both of the above perform so similarly that I also consider it a wash as well. The AMD uses less power and by my understanding runs cooler. The AMD will depend on your being sure you get a motherboard that either shipped with the proper BIOS, or has a way to flash BIOS without the CPU installed, and THIS is the aspect that bothers me about the AM4 life span for 'compatibility'. It is much less an issue if you happen to have a 2xxx or 3xxx CPU on hand, and of course depending on the chipset your mobo is.

The aspect I do like about the Intel chips is the onboard graphics as a fallback, and the fact that you don't have to stand on your head and rub your tummy to appease the BIOS gods. For reference, take a look through the forums at all the "new system/no video" posts with people discovering similar issues from a lack of knowledge and/or research on selected parts.

edit- One other aspect to consider in reference to the build out. AMD is going to want fast RAM speeds. Intel can, but takes much less a penalty for slower sticks than AMD. According to your market, this can be a significant savings.

Reactions: Phaaze88

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
edit- One other aspect to consider in reference to the build out. AMD is going to want fast RAM speeds. Intel can, but takes much less a penalty for slower sticks than AMD. According to your market, this can be a significant savings.
That won't change things very much, I'm going for 3200MHz anyways (ofc AMD would love 3600MHz, so I'm leaning a bit to Intel)
Based upon what you said, this is what I understand:-
AMD
Advantages:-
  1. Lesser heat
  2. (Comparatively) lesser price (which could be covered up in 3600MHz ram anyways)

Disadvantages:-
  1. AM4 futureproofing uncertain
  2. No iGPU

Intel
Advantages:-
  1. iGPU
  2. Can work with slower ram

Disadvantages:-
  1. Might run hot.
  2. 10th gen is just a no-go at this point

To be Frank, if this is the case, i think i just might go with the intel, because I'm planning on buying a decent aio (such as the Arctic liquid freezer?) to cool it down anyways

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Just to be clear in reference to the above. AM4 socket is now obsolete in a manner of speaking, such that the 5xxx CPU are the last to use that socket. The new stuff coming from AMD will not be compatible. 11th gen Intel is the same.

What I was meaning in specific reference to AM4 is that the socket has been used from the 1xxx Ryzen all the way to 5xxx Ryzen and chipsets from the 3xx to 5xx. There are differences in the required BIOS in order to use certain CPU with certain chipset. In this case as a for instance, many of the 5xx chipsets came out alongside 3xxx CPU. There is a BIOS update needed in order for those particular boards to work with 5xxx CPU. Unless you happen to purchase a motherboard that has the flash ability or happen to have access to the older CPU it can leave you with a system that doesn't work due to that compatibility issue. It "will" work, it is "compatible", but if you aren't on the correct BIOS...

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Just to be clear in reference to the above. AM4 socket is now obsolete in a manner of speaking, such that the 5xxx CPU are the last to use that socket. The new stuff coming from AMD will not be compatible. 11th gen Intel is the same.
I know that these chipsets are the last of their kind and after that the CPU will have to be upgraded alongside the motherboard

But the thing is, B660 motherboards are very expensive here, let alone the Z690, add to that the 12th gen Intel is highly priced anyways, the only way i could go for that is buying it alongside a less powered GPU like those around the 3060, or go down to the i5 or something like that (I'm making a build from scratch, so that's why I'm open to any and all opinions and other things i could consider)

TRENDING THREADS