Question i9 10850k Overheating with Arctic Liquid 360

Mar 1, 2021
Hi,

I would greatly appreciate any advice on this issue. Just built my new PC - definitely not new to PC building, but this is the first time I've used an AIO. Case is a Lancool Mesh II and mobo is the Asus ROG Strix Z490-E. I have the AIO front mounted as intake with pull configuration and tubes down.

When I initially started the PC after build, went into BIOS and saw the temps gradually rising and rising to the point where the auto-shutdown kicked in. Took the cooler off the CPU - saw the thermal paste was still in the middle as a blob and hadn't spread, so cleaned and reapplied. Some improvement but still terrible. So third time lucky... this time I put more paste on and made sure to tighten the screws in a cross pattern to make sure pressure is applied evenly.

Temps were still insane with the 5.2Ghz boost enabled, but now I've got it running at stock and it's acceptable at idle/for desktop use, but still unusable under load. According to the Asus AI Suite, I'm typically sitting around 40C on the desktop, but that's with adaptive voltage and the CPU core voltage is always below 1V. If I manually set the voltage to 1C, idle temp goes up to 55-60. I'm no tinkering expert but I understand that's still a low voltage?

Run Cinebench or Cyberpunk? Temps hit 89C and thermal throttling kicks in within 30 seconds or less.

Banging my head against a brick wall with this. I've reseated the cooler 3 or 4 times now, I'm definitely using the right standoffs, the screws are done up tight, I've never had this problem before with any other build. What else could be wrong?

Thank you!

Mar 1, 2021
I am not familiar with your AIO but my first thought is if the pump is running and if yes at what rpm? Can you hear any gurgling if you get close to the pump or radiator which might indicate an air lock?

I'm not sure how to check as this AIO only has one connector which goes straight to CPU_FAN. Apparently that's running about 400RPM right now but it could just as easily be talking about the radiator fans. Chassis fans also running at similar speeds. I can feel a slight vibration from the tubes, one moreso than the other. Everything is cool to touch though - the tubes, the radiator, the block on top of the CPU. By contrast, my 3070 is warm to touch.

It's pretty much silent now, but when I first turned it on there was some gurgling. It went away after a while though.