[SOLVED] i9-10850k temps

Oct 9, 2020
Hello all. First time posting here. I recently built a system after 18 years without doing so. Technology has changed a lot since then. I have a i9-10850k cooled with NZXT Kraken x73 setup as exhaust and I used Thermal Grizzly conductonaut as the cooling compound. Since I'm waiting for a nvidia 3080 its not my main system yet but I set it to do some tasks and I noticed something that concerns me. Im running a RAR password unlocker for an old file of mine and Cores 0-5 are hitting 84 degrees. the others are at 78-80. Am I wrong in thinking they shouldn't be running that hot?

Solution
The maximum temperature allowed at the processor die is 100°C for i9-10850k.
It's safe and it's going to survive anything below 100 for sure, though I'd feel some fear if it hits 91.
If you want to keep it below 70, you can maybe do something for the PC case or the case fans or set the cpu at certain clock speed/disable intel turbo boost and overclocks or add more fans somewhere. I guess in bios there is something for disabling thermal velocity boost.
Anyway, I have a low-end cpu on a laptop that hits 88 for 0,1-1% of the time. It's survived for 13 years with the same temp. limit.
The maximum temperature allowed at the processor die is 100°C for i9-10850k.
It's safe and it's going to survive anything below 100 for sure, though I'd feel some fear if it hits 91.
If you want to keep it below 70, you can maybe do something for the PC case or the case fans or set the cpu at certain clock speed/disable intel turbo boost and overclocks or add more fans somewhere. I guess in bios there is something for disabling thermal velocity boost.
Anyway, I have a low-end cpu on a laptop that hits 88 for 0,1-1% of the time. It's survived for 13 years with the same temp. limit.

Reactions: jcgr19452
Solution

CompuTronix

Intel Master
jcgr19452,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

Although "Throttle" temperature for your i9-10850K is 100°C, the consensus among well informed and highly experienced reviewers, system builders, expert overclockers as well as Intel Engineers, is that it's prudent to observe a reasonable thermal margin below Throttle temperature for ultimate stability, performance and longevity. So regardless of environmental conditions, hardware configurations, software workloads or any other variables, Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

PdancCI.jpg

Also, keep in mind that Core temperatures increase and decrease with ambient (room) temperature, for which the International Standard for "normal" is 22°C or 72°C.

At the top of our Forums are "Sticky" Threads, which are reference information resources that are always available for everyone's benefit. At the top of the CPUs Forum where you posted your topic you'll see the following Sticky: Intel CPU Temperature Guide 2020

We encourage our Members and visiting readers to consult the Stickies, as they often contain the information you're seeking, which can save you time searching for answers that might be inaccurate or misleading from other less than well informed sources. I suggest that you click on the above link and read our Sticky.

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT:sol:

erickmendes

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2012
Hello all. First time posting here. I recently built a system after 18 years without doing so. Technology has changed a lot since then. I have a i9-10850k cooled with NZXT Kraken x73 setup as exhaust and I used Thermal Grizzly conductonaut as the cooling compound. Since I'm waiting for a nvidia 3080 its not my main system yet but I set it to do some tasks and I noticed something that concerns me. Im running a RAR password unlocker for an old file of mine and Cores 0-5 are hitting 84 degrees. the others are at 78-80. Am I wrong in thinking they shouldn't be running that hot?

Hi there. Just saw your post... I got a NZXT Z73 on a Z490 Asus board... My 10850k don't go over 66ºC with full load, all cores on 100% utilization, so I think something is not ok with your built, and I'm not measuring this on a cool room, I live in Brasil and I'm not using AC, my room temp is like 27ºC.

Jan 24, 2021
Hi there. Just saw your post... I got a NZXT Z73 on a Z490 Asus board... My 10850k don't go over 66ºC with full load, all cores on 100% utilization, so I think something is not ok with your built, and I'm not measuring this on a cool room, I live in Brasil and I'm not using AC, my room temp is like 27ºC.

you are mistaken between CPU temp and cores temp, with my I9-10850k, my CPU @ 60°C max but my cores @ 94°C max on full load benchmark @ 5.2Ghz ( OC +50% ) and 32°C on idle

As a quick check, what is your cpu temperature at idle?
I would expect to see 10-15c. over ambient.
What is the make/model of your case, what is the fan arrangement and where is the radiator mounted?
Dumb question, was the protective mylar film on the pump removed before mounting?
Is the pump on level and secure.
Is the pump running full out?

i9-10850K is a strong processor so under load, if loading all threads, It can get hot.