[SOLVED] i9 10900 non-k

T2N

Commendable
Feb 14, 2021
Hi,
I have a few questions regarding i9... PC was build about 6 months ago and i do believe my temps were lower but sadly i don't have any reference point and i'm getting into loop of thinking that's its getting higher every week or so and from all of that i'm having bad headache lately and bad night's :(

My Spec's:

RAM: ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D60 DDR4 3200 DIMM 8GM (4x)
GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8GB
CASE: Lian Li 011 Dynamic
Cooling: MSI Mag Core Liquid 240R
CPU: Core i9-10900
PSU: ADATA XPG CORE REACTOR 750W 80+ GOLD
SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 1TB SATA III
Motherboard: ASRock Z490 Steel Legend

i'm just gonna add here that it's prebuild, i'm cleaning it once a month and today before doing testing for this post all the results are below with description and pc look

Solution
Alright, how about the idea with cpu cooling then? Should I go for the 360 or air cooling later on...
There aren't very many air coolers that'll both fit in the O11, clear that 46mm tall ram, and reasonably deal with a 10900:
Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B and FUMA 2
Thermalright Silver Arrow 130
Among some of the popular brands out there, that's about it.

The O11 was designed with liquid cooling in mind, so may as well stay that route, but I do recommend having a backup cooler on hand when using AIOs.
-It's a matter of WHEN those pumps fail, be it 3, 5, or 7 years... once it's kicked the bucket, that's it. Throw the whole thing out, except for the working fans.
-It helps avoid extended down time if you happen to get stuck waiting on an...
Hi,
I have a few questions regarding i9... PC was build about 6 months ago and i do believe my temps were lower but sadly i don't have any reference point and i'm getting into loop of thinking that's its getting higher every week or so and from all of that i'm having bad headache lately and bad night's :(

My Spec's:

RAM: ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D60 DDR4 3200 DIMM 8GM (4x)
GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8GB
CASE: Lian Li 011 Dynamic
Cooling: MSI Mag Core Liquid 240R
CPU: Core i9-10900
PSU: ADATA XPG CORE REACTOR 750W 80+ GOLD
SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 1TB SATA III
Motherboard: ASRock Z490 Steel Legend

i'm just gonna add here that it's prebuild, i'm cleaning it once a month and today before doing testing for this post all the results are below with description and pc look
CPU Package is 55c max? thats good bro, dont worry about it :D

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
On the top as seen on picture
For an AIO with the pump in the radiator, you can't keep it up there for very long.
Air rises to the highest point of the loop, and the pump should be kept immersed in the fluid - that's what keeps it cool and lubricated.
Fluid is slowly lost over time due to permeation through the tubing, and air volume has gone up.

T2N

Commendable
Feb 14, 2021
For an AIO with the pump in the radiator, you can't keep it up there for very long.
Air rises to the highest point of the loop, and the pump should be kept immersed in the fluid - that's what keeps it cool and lubricated.
Fluid is slowly lost over time due to permeation through the tubing, and air volume has gone up.
So what should I do now? Do you think the vluid evaporated just over 6 months? Ngl I use it heavily every day... Also when using Aida I'm having jump to thermal throttle but only after gaming its like 10-15% and only in the beginning till it stables itself in around 65-70... Also rtx 3070 backplate is very hot but the temps of the card never go above 69... Any idea what should I do now?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Do you think the vluid evaporated just over 6 months?
I can't tell you how fast permeation has progressed.
I can tell you that there was air already hanging around up there before it became a problem; these devices are not topped off with fluid, so there was air present from the beginning.

What to do now? You have to move it, or get rid of it.
Have the 3 fans and the radiator swap places.

T2N

Commendable
Feb 14, 2021
I can't tell you how fast permeation has progressed.
I can tell you that there was air already hanging around up there before it became a problem; these devices are not topped off with fluid, so there was air present from the beginning.

What to do now? You have to move it, or get rid of it.
Have the 3 fans and the radiator swap places.

Thanks, so I'll keep it as it is untill i will get to 90c and then just buy a new 360mm like Arctic Liquid Freezer II making sure the pump is above cpu rather than inside radiator and mount it where the current aio is or just switch to air cooling but that would be tuff because of lack of holes to mount fan in the back of the case... Also adding 3 new fans at the bottom. Good/Bad idea?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Also adding 3 new fans at the bottom. Good/Bad idea?
That's a grey area, IMO.
I don't think putting fans down there serves much good, when the gpu's fans can already serve as the bottom and rear(through the PCIe guards) intake. They're also further from the 'floor' than fans put down there, thus they have more 'breathing room'.

Some people insist on putting fans down there, but IDK.
If the floor of the O11 was as high up as that on the SL600M, I'd be like, "Heck yeah, put fans down there..."

T2N

Commendable
Feb 14, 2021
That's a grey area, IMO.
I don't think putting fans down there serves much good, when the gpu's fans can already serve as the bottom and rear(through the PCIe guards) intake. They're also further from the 'floor' than fans put down there, thus they have more 'breathing room'.

Some people insist on putting fans down there, but IDK.
If the floor of the O11 was as high up as that on the SL600M, I'd be like, "Heck yeah, put fans down there..."
Alright, how about the idea with cpu cooling then? Should I go for the 360 or air cooling later on and basically the idea with waiting, to be honest I'm pretty clueless at this point... I was pretty scary not to damage anything when I detached aio top from case and removed it fans to clean

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Alright, how about the idea with cpu cooling then? Should I go for the 360 or air cooling later on...
There aren't very many air coolers that'll both fit in the O11, clear that 46mm tall ram, and reasonably deal with a 10900:

The O11 was designed with liquid cooling in mind, so may as well stay that route, but I do recommend having a backup cooler on hand when using AIOs.
-It's a matter of WHEN those pumps fail, be it 3, 5, or 7 years... once it's kicked the bucket, that's it. Throw the whole thing out, except for the working fans.
-It helps avoid extended down time if you happen to get stuck waiting on an order for a new cooler... but maybe you have a Micro Center or similar nearby anyway...

I am not a fan of 120mm fans, or coolers that use them. 140mm is where it's at.
140mm air coolers and 280mm AIOs stand over all the others; they offer the best balance of performance to noise.
I'm just rambling now...
If you want to do a 360mm, you can, but you're more or less forever stuck with a radiator top mount while using one - not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but its size does bring some compatiblity issues if you were to change chassis later on.

Solution

T2N

Commendable
Feb 14, 2021

-It helps avoid extended down time if you happen to get stuck waiting on an order for a new cooler... but maybe you have a Micro Center or similar nearby anyway...

I am not a fan of 120mm fans, or coolers that use them. 140mm is where it's at.
140mm air coolers and 280mm AIOs stand over all the others; they offer the best balance of performance to noise.
I'm just rambling now...
If you want to do a 360mm, you can, but you're more or less forever stuck with a radiator top mount while using one - not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but its size does bring some compatiblity issues if you were to change chassis later on.
Thanks for your time, now i know much more about current state i'm at and what to look at going forward!