[SOLVED] i9 10900 VCORE

Kkehlet88

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
Hi,

I have a few questions after messing around with my new RIG - In particular my i9 10900 NON k

My SPECS are:
Asus TUF gaming Z490-Plus
Corsair TX750M 750W
Corsair H100x Liquid Cooler
Intel i9 10900
Asus 3080 TUF
32 GB Corsair Vengance LPX (3200MHZ)

I have enabled the following the BIOS.
XMP-2
Turbo Boost
MCE
Performance Mode

My questions are:

1. At the moment all my cores are running at 4.6 GHZ - also in idle. I pressume this is because of performance mode ? Which is a standard options in ASUS BIOS.
This means that VCORE is 1.33V - Is this safe in the long run, or will it degrade the CPU ? - View: https://imgur.com/3LNT0Vf

2. I score 6000 in Cinebench with these settings, which is the best result I can get. Is this a good score, or am I overdriving my CPU ?

3. Are there better "Non OC" settings for a 10900 that would grant me better gaming performance ? The reason i've this is to be sure that I'm not bottling my 3080.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Pardon the multi-quotes, it's a bad habit of mine!

So would you say, that this is the best way to achieve most power from a NON k CPU ?
I wouldn't say it's the BEST way... but it's certainly the simplest.

I know its possible to BCLK OC aswell. Can that achieve better results with lower voltage ?
Ooh, that one can be a real headache, as it affects 'everything' - core, cache, and memory frequencies. Can be highly unstable.
Really need to take your time with that method.

Also isnt 3200MHZ fine for gaming ? RAM with higher mhz seems way to pricy
Yes, to both, but there's a bit of a dilemma going on here.
-The higher one goes in resolution, the easier the cpu's work becomes and the harder the gpu's work is. Going...

Kkehlet88

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
At the moment i'm running 1080 on a 144 HZ on a BENQ monitor.

But i'm looking to buy a 1440P 240HZ monitor to advance from my setup.
If not the new ASUS ROG 360HZ monitor.

I know that these settings have no value due to the fact, that my monitor only runs 140HZ. But i'm trying to reach atleast +200 FPS in Warzone. So this is more of a testing, and the, fact that I want my RIG to run as fast as possible.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Maybe, but how hot does it run under loads?

2)No idea. Not something I concern myself with. Maybe someone else will know.

3)You already turned on MCE, which is basically a 'one-click OC'. If LOAD thermals are fine, then there's nothing else to be done.

At the moment i'm running 1080 on a 144 HZ on a BENQ monitor.
/facepalm

But i'm looking to buy a 1440P 240HZ monitor to advance from my setup.
If not the new ASUS ROG 360HZ monitor.
/double facepalm

Such a WASTE.
At 1080p ultra-high refresh, folks like yourself are CPU and RAM FREQUENCY limited. Gpu plays second fiddle here.
What's the point of getting - just throwing numbers out there - 500fps if you're still getting dips below 240/360/etc.?
The priority should be fps minimums as high as possible, for the smoothest experience possible, which the gpu contributes very little towards.
Where's that 4000mhz+ ram? I see that TUF board supports up to 4800mhz...

Kkehlet88

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
1)Maybe, but how hot does it run under loads?

2)No idea. Not something I concern myself with. Maybe someone else will know.

3)You already turned on MCE, which is basically a 'one-click OC'. If LOAD thermals are fine, then there's nothing else to be done.

/facepalm

/double facepalm

Such a WASTE.
At 1080p ultra-high refresh, folks like yourself are CPU and RAM FREQUENCY limited. Gpu plays second fiddle here.
What's the point of getting - just throwing numbers out there - 500fps if you're still getting dips below 240/360/etc.?
The priority should be fps minimums as high as possible, for the smoothest experience possible, which the gpu contributes very little towards.
Where's that 4000mhz+ ram? I see that TUF board supports up to 4800mhz...

1) CPU/GPU are running around 60-65 degrees in MW/Warzone with these settings.

3) I tried to reset my BIOS, and MCE is apprently set to "Auto" as default - So i'm letting it stay at that.

Yeah monitor is my next purchase, but i'm really confused on what to buy.
I'm either leaning to the new Samsung G7 27" - But i've read that a lot of people are getting weird flickering images, also after the update. Else Asus 27" ROG Strix XG279Q

That Corsair Vengeance LPX only support 3200MHZ as far as I know ? Atleast that's what the XMP-1 puts them at.

But I still need to know if 1.33V will damage the CPU in the long run ?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
CPU/GPU are running around 60-65 degrees in MW/Warzone with these settings.
But I still need to know if 1.33V will damage the CPU in the long run ?
1)(y)

2)I already answered this, but I see that I wasn't clear. 1.33Vcore is perfectly fine.
If the cpu was running 85C+ under load, then that would not be the case.

Yeah monitor is my next purchase, but i'm really confused on what to buy.
Check channels like Hardware Unboxed, as they do some monitor reviews. Toms does some monitor reviews as well.
The downside of reviews like these is actual ownership. If problems pop up after a period of time - a review won't have covered that.

That Corsair Vengeance LPX only support 3200MHZ as far as I know ? Atleast that's what the XMP-1 puts them at.
I was referring to the motherboard's actual QVL for ram: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-Z490-PLUS/HelpDesk_QVL_Memory/

Reactions: Kkehlet88

Kkehlet88

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
Thanks for the clear response Phaaze88. Much appreciated.

So would you say, that this is the best way to achieve most power from a NON k CPU ?

I know its possible to BCLK OC aswell. Can that achieve better results with lower voltage ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Pardon the multi-quotes, it's a bad habit of mine!

I wouldn't say it's the BEST way... but it's certainly the simplest.

Ooh, that one can be a real headache, as it affects 'everything' - core, cache, and memory frequencies. Can be highly unstable.
Really need to take your time with that method.

Yes, to both, but there's a bit of a dilemma going on here.
-The higher one goes in resolution, the easier the cpu's work becomes and the harder the gpu's work is. Going in the opposite direction, it's the other way around.

-With the changes Nvidia made to FP32 shaders, a 3080 can only really stretch its legs at 4K. At 1440p, the gains are less impressive(compared to a 2080), and even less so at 1080p. This isn't doing much of anything for ultra-high refresh gaming.

-Unlike Ryzen 3000 which has a hard limit ~3733mhz, Intel's Skylake - and all it's refreshes - continue to scale up past that, albeit with diminishing returns. They also aren't as picky about memory timings as the former is. The bank's the limit.

-Just about everything is overpriced right now, due to supply shortages, Covid, and some businesses taking advantage of it.

I get some folks' idea of wanting the best, or something high-end, but it's sometimes taken past the point of practicality. It's then seen by others as a waste, or performance left on the table from another direction.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS