[SOLVED] i9-10900k idle temps to high?

Jan 1, 2021
I just got a i9-10900k and without much of an overlock is running at 38-42 C when idling. Is this normal or should I bump up the fan speeds?

Solution
Idle temps are irrelevant, unless there is a problem with your maximum temps, THEN, and only then, might idle temps matter.

If your idle temperature is 45°C but your maximum temperature under a FULL load, such as running Prime95 (Small FFT option, all AVX options disabled) for 15 minutes, is 85°C or less (Preferably 80°C or less), then there really isn't a problem.

If however your idle temperature (And we have to be careful here, because what exactly IS idle temperature might vary from system to system.) is 45°C and you are exceeding the maximum recommended temperature under a full load, THEN the high idle temperature is indicative of a cooling problem of some kind, whether that is a poor mount job with incorrectly installed or loose...
Idle temps are irrelevant, unless there is a problem with your maximum temps, THEN, and only then, might idle temps matter.

If your idle temperature is 45°C but your maximum temperature under a FULL load, such as running Prime95 (Small FFT option, all AVX options disabled) for 15 minutes, is 85°C or less (Preferably 80°C or less), then there really isn't a problem.

If however your idle temperature (And we have to be careful here, because what exactly IS idle temperature might vary from system to system.) is 45°C and you are exceeding the maximum recommended temperature under a full load, THEN the high idle temperature is indicative of a cooling problem of some kind, whether that is a poor mount job with incorrectly installed or loose mounting hardware, or a bad paste job, or a lack of case airflow, or a fan facing the wrong direction or simply having a cooling system that is just not good enough for the CPU model.

38-42°C doesn't seem out of line for this CPU, especially if you are not exceeding the maximum recommended temperature.

It would probably be a really good idea for you to read this:

And this, in order to gain an understanding of where you should be and what to do if you are not where you should be.

Solution