Question i9 10900k Intel recommended limits (Base Voltage)

LS_Shadow

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
I'm building a PC soon and I heard there are some issues with the z490 boards having crazy stock voltage settings. To mitigate the issue, many reviewers are saying to set a fixed voltage and turn off MCE. My issue is, I can't find the recommended limits for the voltage of a i9 10900k at the base clock speed. I plan to do absolutely no overclocking and just want the best performance out of stock/manufacturer settings for this CPU. I've already ordered and received the Z490 Aorus Ultra and I found out that some people have had the motherboard stock settings jack their voltages. What should I put for a fixed performance voltage after disabling MCE? Would disabling MCE be enough on it's own?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I'm building a PC soon and I heard there are some issues with the z490 boards having crazy stock voltage settings. To mitigate the issue, many reviewers are saying to set a fixed voltage and turn off MCE. My issue is, I can't find the recommended limits for the voltage of a i9 10900k at the base clock speed. I plan to do absolutely no overclocking and just want the best performance out of stock/manufacturer settings for this CPU. I've already ordered and received the Z490 Aorus Ultra and I found out that some people have had the motherboard stock settings jack their voltages. What should I put for a fixed performance voltage after disabling MCE? Would disabling MCE be enough on it's own?
If you do that your gimping the processor buy a adequate cooler along with a good board (adequate power delivery) and their no problems.

The watts for Intel are really 2 fold PL1 is just the base clock speed in this case 125 Watts PL2 is the watts needed to give full turbo speed and is in the 240 watt area.

Why would you buy a 10900K and limit the processor to only the base speed?

LS_Shadow

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
If you do that your gimping the processor buy a adequate cooler along with a good board (adequate power delivery) and their no problems.
I guess I didn't clarify how bad the issue is. People are reporting, specifically in the case of the motherboard I ordered, their voltages reaching up to 1.66V without touching the core clock. I just don't want to fry my brand new chip you see lol.

LS_Shadow

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
Why would you buy a 10900K and limit the processor to only the base speed?
I don't want to overclock, because it give menial returns imo for a shortened life span and more instability. Probably not a huge difference in life span and instability, but I really don't see a point after seeing benchmarks.

LS_Shadow

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
It's not overclocking just using the turbo speed, what board did you order, and what are you using the PC for?
I ordered the Z490 AORUS Ultra, and I will be using the PC for gaming/workstation. This is the review post I was alluding to when I mentioned the 1.66v case:

"2) CPU VOLTAGE..... This one really bothers me, and is the entire reason I dropped a star.. After doing some tests in a couple CPU demanding games (Planet Coaster, and Total War: Rome 2), everything was quite stable, and temps were sitting at a cool 54C max... Using CPU-Z, Real-Temp, and Hardware Monitor, I noticed though that my VCORE Voltage was spiking as high as 1.66V !?!?!??! That seems a bit insane to me... Im shocked that my temps werent higher. By default the Aorus Ultra board sets the VCore to an adaptive mode, and I feel that it is WAY over generous with that... However, I will say that it is VERY easy to fix.. Just go into the Bios and disable the adaptive voltage and set it to say 1.35-1.38V and try that as a fixed voltage, or if you prefer, mess with the LLC's and offsets to remedy depending on your comfort level. It upset me that they would ship out a board in a configuration that could relatively quickly kill your CPU if left alone (at least in my understanding). I get that some silicon performs better than others and such, but 1.66V?!?! even 1.5 is too much lol I'm not even comfortable with anything above 1.4V, regardless of temps. "

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I ordered the Z490 AORUS Ultra, and I will be using the PC for gaming/workstation. This is the review post I was alluding to when I mentioned the 1.66v case:

"2) CPU VOLTAGE..... This one really bothers me, and is the entire reason I dropped a star.. After doing some tests in a couple CPU demanding games (Planet Coaster, and Total War: Rome 2), everything was quite stable, and temps were sitting at a cool 54C max... Using CPU-Z, Real-Temp, and Hardware Monitor, I noticed though that my VCORE Voltage was spiking as high as 1.66V !?!?!??! That seems a bit insane to me... Im shocked that my temps werent higher. By default the Aorus Ultra board sets the VCore to an adaptive mode, and I feel that it is WAY over generous with that... However, I will say that it is VERY easy to fix.. Just go into the Bios and disable the adaptive voltage and set it to say 1.35-1.38V and try that as a fixed voltage, or if you prefer, mess with the LLC's and offsets to remedy depending on your comfort level. It upset me that they would ship out a board in a configuration that could relatively quickly kill your CPU if left alone (at least in my understanding). I get that some silicon performs better than others and such, but 1.66V?!?! even 1.5 is too much lol I'm not even comfortable with anything above 1.4V, regardless of temps. "
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-10900k-cpu-review/3

aristos65

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014
Hey guys, so, I am buying an Alienware area 51m r2 with that monster cpu (19-10900K) and I was wondering if someone found a sweet spot for the voltage amount aiming for longevity (last thing I wanna do is reduce the life of this expensive machine). I am pretty new to overclocking/adjusting, so any help would be more than awesome!!
My main tasks on it will be music production/workstation and gaming.

Any replies will be extremely appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS