Dec 18, 2016
Hi all.
I have just bought a PC.
Intel Core i9 10900k
Asus Z490-P
Lian Li 240 Galahad 240mm
Gigabyte RTX 3080 TI Eagle
Corsair Vengeance LP 32 gb DDR4 3200 MHZ

I would like to know a few things about the CPU and its temperature.

The CPU by default is limited at TDP 125w. I have tested it with Aida64 stability for an hour. The average temp was 55-70. At first for 20 seconds the CPU was working on 4.9ghz and the power was on 175w. After 20 seconds the clock speed went down to 4.6ghz and the power went down to 125w.

A friend of mine told me to set the long/short duration power limit to 4095 and the package power time window to 448.

After I have modified the settings, during the stability test my temps were 65-80 sometimes 85 on peak only for a moment but this way the CPU stayed on 4.9ghz and 175w.

My questions are:
  • Will these damage my CPU in long term?
  • Should I buy another cooler just to be in the safe zone? If yes, what would be the best cooler?
  • Should I set the settings back as it was by default?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Solution
No, 10900K is very very hot, it is normal to be 80+, i limited mine to throttle at 86 degrees so i m sure that will never pass 86 degrees and i OCed at 5.3 GHz, so in single threaded i have 5.3 GHz, i think up to 4 or 6 cores fully loaded and when i load all 10 cores it will drop to 5.1 due to 86 degrees limit and continues to drop to 5.0-4.9 and stays around there.
No, 10900K is very very hot, it is normal to be 80+, i limited mine to throttle at 86 degrees so i m sure that will never pass 86 degrees and i OCed at 5.3 GHz, so in single threaded i have 5.3 GHz, i think up to 4 or 6 cores fully loaded and when i load all 10 cores it will drop to 5.1 due to 86 degrees limit and continues to drop to 5.0-4.9 and stays around there.

Solution

Multyspeed

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2015
My questions are:
  • Should I buy another cooler just to be in the safe zone? If yes, what would be the best cooler?
Thank you for your help in advance.
85C on stress test is fine for that CPU. When gaming, the temps are going to be lower. So the answer for your questions:
  • No.
  • No.
  • No.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Aida64... what? The settings matter. If you did not do FPU only, then you did it wrong. Checking stress cpu, fpu, and cache is actually a medium load and lighter than FPU only.

What is the chassis? Where is the radiator located - are you letting it breathe lots of fresh air, or is it set to suck up exhaust from everything below it?

My questions are:
1)No. Spikes are fine. It's when these things sit there at hours on end... and even then, it'll probably be obsolete by the time it does become a problem.
2)I don't believe there's enough info on your end to address this. We don't know what the chassis is, or what the PC is being used for...
3)Yes. Why did the cpu clock down after only 20 seconds, when the Intel default Tau for that chip is 56 seconds?

tekken3600

Honorable
Dec 18, 2016
Aida64... what? The settings matter. If you did not do FPU only, then you did it wrong. Checking stress cpu, fpu, and cache is actually a medium load and lighter than FPU only.

What is the chassis? Where is the radiator located - are you letting it breathe lots of fresh air, or is it set to suck up exhaust from everything below it?

1)No. Spikes are fine. It's when these things sit there at hours on end... and even then, it'll probably be obsolete by the time it does become a problem.
2)I don't believe there's enough info on your end to address this. We don't know what the chassis is, or what the PC is being used for...
3)Yes. Why did the cpu clock down after only 20 seconds, when the Intel default Tau for that chip is 56 seconds?
I have this chassis with all the built-in fans https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mid-tower/mastercase-h500p-mesh-white-argb/

The cpu cooler radiator is on top. I did combined stress test, including everything except the gpu in Aida64.

The components are:
  • Asus Prime Z490-P
  • i9 10900k
  • Lian li Galahad 240 white rgb
  • Corsair vengeance lp 32gb ddr4 3200mhz
  • Gigabyte eagle rtx 3080 ti
  • adata sx6000 pro 2tb
  • Corsair tx750m gold

Xplycko

Honorable
May 8, 2017
As far as the cooler goes many reputable review streamers have ranked the Gali very high. And as others have said that's not to hot. You should have seen the temps they found on extreme overclocking lol.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So you didn't really push the cpu that hard.

I'm using the same chassis, minus the ARGB part. The top is not the strongest place for an AIO, 'cause of the acrylic window, but the window is there to help enforce a positive pressure layout.

10900K + 3080Ti + semi-solid top panel... all that compounds together and makes things a bit difficult for the 240mm AIO.

tekken3600

Honorable
Dec 18, 2016
So you didn't really push the cpu that hard.

I'm using the same chassis, minus the ARGB part. The top is not the strongest place for an AIO, 'cause of the acrylic window, but the window is there to help enforce a positive pressure layout.

10900K + 3080Ti + semi-solid top panel... all that compounds together and makes things a bit difficult for the 240mm AIO.
I use my pc only for gaming. I tested the cpu in gaming and the temps were always below 70 degree. I just want to know if it is okay in the long term.