[SOLVED] i9-10900k on an Asus Tuf B460 Plus Motherboard.

ohgoditschris1

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021
if i left it to turbo itself to a constant 4.9ghz will it work? because ive been noticing random shutdowns while gaming sometimes and what ive done so far is disabled the Turbo Boost in bios so the chip runs at 3.7ghz stock. My question is can this board not support the power delivery to the CPU when its running at 4.9ghz.

Ohh and i have a Corsair RM850x PSU which i got two weeks ago. not sure if its a PSU Problem or Motherboard not supporting my 10900k chip properly. i know i need a Z Board which im planning on buying soon but im currently stuck with this B460 board for the meantime.

Solution
you will not see 4.9 GHz sustained across 10 cores without disabling TDP power and /or boost duration limits, anyway.

I would not disable turbo boost, however. You paid for a 10900K, at least let it run at factory intended specs (certainly with a 125 W TDP limit, you would see more than 3.7 GHz, but, less than 4.9 GHz, depending on your cooling solution (which you did not mention); perhaps you can (via INtel's XTU) tweak all-core boost multipliers down a notch or two if VRM and/or core temps seem overly high. (Run XTU's included CPU stress test, examining assorted temps for 10-20 minutes, and tweak accordingly)
you will not see 4.9 GHz sustained across 10 cores without disabling TDP power and /or boost duration limits, anyway.

I would not disable turbo boost, however. You paid for a 10900K, at least let it run at factory intended specs (certainly with a 125 W TDP limit, you would see more than 3.7 GHz, but, less than 4.9 GHz, depending on your cooling solution (which you did not mention); perhaps you can (via INtel's XTU) tweak all-core boost multipliers down a notch or two if VRM and/or core temps seem overly high. (Run XTU's included CPU stress test, examining assorted temps for 10-20 minutes, and tweak accordingly)

Solution

ohgoditschris1

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021

I would not disable turbo boost, however. You paid for a 10900K, at least let it run at factory intended specs; perhaps you can (via INtel's XTU) tweak all-core boost multipliers down a notch or two if VRM or core temps seem overly high.

According to RTSS im running 4.9ghz on all cores i have speedstep and speedshift and c states all disabled in bios even when i open task manager its saying 4.9ghz. and i have a Corsair H100x Liquid Cooler my temps arnt high they usually 55c-60c underload. Im just not sure if its a power delivery issue on this motherboard or not.

ohgoditschris1

Commendable
Sep 4, 2021
I think it might be vrm issue or power delivery, that mobo is actually decent for a b460 and at least has decent vrm heatsinks but the power delivery is only 6 +1+1 and it is 10900K trying to run 4.9 GHz.

Yeah i figured out the problem now since i disabled the turbo boost setting in the bios my PC hasn't shutdown since ive tested demanding games and CPU Stress tested for 2 Days Now and it hasnt shutoff since i disabled turbo so its definitely the Motherboard im gonna buy an MSI Z490 Pro Motherboard from Amazon when i get paid.

I know its not a VRM Heating issue because my case is a corsair 220T Mid Tower and has 3 Front Panel Fans and another fan on the back then my got my liquid cooler for my CPU that normally stays around 50c - 60c underload.

Reactions: Reaper_7799