Question i9 10900k Overheating after enabling MSI Dragon Center Gaming Mode

Sep 7, 2021
Hi there,

I have mobo MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi and a CPU i9 10900k. A few weeks ago my pc suddenly shutted down and after a few secods restarted showing a bios message saying that the last OC setting failed and recommeding to reset the bios to the default setting. The weird thing is that have never overclocked the CPU, and used to work at around 34/34 C at low and between 55-60C while gaming. Now it is working at 45C and I have reached 105C!! while gaming which is insane.

I've never faced a temp issue before so I started thinking on what could have changed and remembered that I recently enabled the gaming mode in MSI Dragon Center tool.
By googling similar issues I found a thread in MSI forum where some users reported similar problems, some of them were lucky and the issue stopped once they turned DC gaming mode off but some others stated the issue never stoped even though they reset the bios and ran a clean windows installation.

I didn't reinstall windows but I tried the other steps (disabled gaming mode, removed and reinstalled DC, reset the bios, setting a more agressive fans curve) and nothing worked so far. The CPU is working around 4.8GHz all the time even though when it is working at 5% of its capacity and the vcores are working at 1.1-1.2v.
From my perspective, those values are a little bit high but considering this CPU can go up to 5.3Ghz and 1.352v I don't think this can explain the overheating.

So far the only workaround I found was to disable the Intel Turbo Boost in the bios so the CPU is now running at its base frequency 3.7Ghz and working at 32-35 C at low and around 60C while gaming demaning games like RDR2, Cyberpunk, etc.
Any idea on what is going on here would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I've heard that just having DC installed, the blasted app 'automatically optimizes performance', making it an Enhanced Turbo 2.0 - plus, it supposedly does this without your permission, so just get rid of it.
If you need RGB control, you can install Mystic Light separately.

I don't suppose the cooler is a MAG Coreliquid R series mounted at the top of the chassis, is it?

Sep 7, 2021
I've heard that just having DC installed, the blasted app 'automatically optimizes performance', making it an Enhanced Turbo 2.0 - plus, it supposedly does this without your permission, so just get rid of it.
If you need RGB control, you can install Mystic Light separately.

I don't suppose the cooler is a MAG Coreliquid R series mounted at the top of the chassis, is it?
yeas, it is a MAG Coreliquid 360R. I have DC installed since I assembled the computer and didn't have issues before. I also unistalled DC but didn't make any difference.

Sep 7, 2021
Ok. Is it mounted at the top?
Ok. Is it mounted at the top?
not really, is at the at the bottom of the case (Thermaltake Tower 900). I am aware of the risk, the bubbles, etc but it is a brand new kit so I do not expect leaks that can impact its performance yet. I don't think will start generating bubbles at this point and it is a temp solution until I can build a customer watercooling system. This was performing perfectly until a few weeks ago so I don't think the coreliquid is the problem.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's at the bottom of the Tower 900, but this chassis doesn't support bottom mounted radiators?
I'm confused.

I am aware of the risk, the bubbles, etc but it is a brand new kit so I do not expect leaks that can impact its performance yet. I don't think will start generating bubbles
It's not to do with leaks, but where the pump is in the loop.
AIOs are not topped off with fluid by default, so there is air present in the loop from the beginning. The pump being in the radiator on this model presents a balancing act of sorts.
The pump can't be the the highest point of the loop; the pump should always be immersed in fluid.
The cpu block can't be the highest point of the loop either; air will disrupt the transfer of heat from the cold plate into the fluid.
But I'm now confused as to how the cooler is mounted inside the Tower 900...

Sep 7, 2021
Yeah the 900 has
Left / Right Side:
1 x 480mm , 1 x 560mm .

No bottom radiator support.
correct, left and right side if you are using a custom watercooling system, if you use a watercooling kit like the coreliquid you will never reach the CPU if you mount the radiator at left/right side, the case is simply too big.

As I mentioned, this is a temprary solution as it is not easy to get all the neccesary to build a custom watercooling system here in my region (at least I want to waste more money in the watercooling kit than in the CPU itself, which I refuse).

Sep 7, 2021
Oh wow.
This is what it looks like to me:
View: https://imgur.com/s9enZox

But back to the Coreliquid R - we at least know now that the pump is completely submerged, but as mentioned earlier, air rises to the highest point of the loop.
With air in the cpu block, it's screwing with thermal transfer to the cooling medium, which is the fluid.
the top one is an exhausting corsair QL140 fan. The radiator's fan are in a push configuration. Also I suppose that if the temp issue is due to an inefficient cooling performance I will face the same problem at 3.7Ghz, I mean, the cpu should be warming up at both frequencies however it is at 33/37C and steady.

View: https://imgur.com/a/EEIVLDx

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS