[SOLVED] i9 10900K running hot on a new PC(?)

Feb 5, 2021
Hi all!

I recently purchased a new PC, and I've had some issues with it (mainly being slow, some settings disappearing or below average benchmark results). I re-installed Windows 10 Pro, and updated BIOS. The CPU is running really hot, and I'm not quite sure why. The idle temps can go from 21C to 55C in half a second, altho usually they sit at around 35-40C.
While running benchmarks, the highest I've seen them go is 78C where it stays. After re-installing Windows and updating BIOS I've not played any games, as I'm afraid I'll fry the CPU. I've disable CME from BIOS but this had zero effect on the temps.
Overall temps are great for my 3090 and AIO cooler is always running at 100%. CPU gives 92% performance via "Performance Test" by PassMark. Are these temps normal, or too high? If they're too high, what can I do? I barely know how to tweak BIOS, but if there's something I need to check pls let me know. Thank you!

My setup is as follows:

Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
ASus GeForce RTX 3090 ROG Strix OC
i9 10900K
ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming
SilverSTone 1500W Strider Gold S
Seagate 2TB HDD
Kingston 1TB A2000 Nve
Corsair 32GB 3600MHz
Asus ROG Strix OC 360 RGB White Edition

Image shows temps below, while running PassMark

Solution
As others have said, your temps are actually decent, especially since high-end Intel chips run hot. If you are worried about temps, there are a couple of things you could do (I personally would leave as is, but for the sake of tweaking, see below).

The default optimized settings in ASUS motherboards tend to have high CPU voltage settings to ensure stability, but sometimes too high. By default it is usually set to "auto" but you can manually set your CPU vcore to the processor's listed voltage setting (or even lower)in the bios, all the while running prime95 to test for stability if it were to crash and readjusting vcore settings until stable.

Another option, sometimes I've had to disable "Enhanced Core Performance" in the bios...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? What version of Windows 10 are you on? You should be fine since you have a 360mm AIO in there. I'd ask you to stop with benchmarks and try with gameplay. Benchmarks often tax the system beyond it's comfort zone and games don't do as much as a benchmark. If the mount on the AIO's block was bad on the IHS, you wouldn't be seeing those temps, rather much more higher.

Reactions: Hannes084

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi all!

I recently purchased a new PC, and I've had some issues with it (mainly being slow, some settings disappearing or below average benchmark results). I re-installed Windows 10 Pro, and updated BIOS. The CPU is running really hot, and I'm not quite sure why. The idle temps can go from 21C to 55C in half a second, altho usually they sit at around 35-40C.
While running benchmarks, the highest I've seen them go is 78C where it stays. After re-installing Windows and updating BIOS I've not played any games, as I'm afraid I'll fry the CPU. I've disable CME from BIOS but this had zero effect on the temps.
Overall temps are great for my 3090 and AIO cooler is always running at 100%. CPU gives 92% performance via "Performance Test" by PassMark. Are these temps normal, or too high? If they're too high, what can I do? I barely know how to tweak BIOS, but if there's something I need to check pls let me know. Thank you!

My setup is as follows:

Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
ASus GeForce RTX 3090 ROG Strix OC
i9 10900K
ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming
SilverSTone 1500W Strider Gold S
Seagate 2TB HDD
Kingston 1TB A2000 Nve
Corsair 32GB 3600MHz
Asus ROG Strix OC 360 RGB White Edition

Image shows temps below, while running PassMark

You have no temperature problems enjoy your PC.

Feb 5, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? What version of Windows 10 are you on? You should be fine since you have a 360mm AIO in there. I'd ask you to stop with benchmarks and try with gameplay. Benchmarks often tax the system beyond it's comfort zone and games don't do as much as a benchmark. If the mount on the AIO's block was bad on the IHS, you wouldn't be seeing those temps, rather much more higher.
Thank you! :) The BIOS version is "2004" that I updated via the EZ update program. It's apparently "Beta". My Windows 10 Pro version is 20H2.

EDIT: The reason I was running benchmarks was simply cause when I received the PC, I was having issues like blank screens, flashing of the screen and overall seemingly buggy performance within Windows. Once I did a clean re-install of the system the sluggish performance disappeared, and I wanted to make sure I was getting at least "Verified" results on bench :)

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021
You have no temperature problems enjoy your PC.
Thanks for the reply! I'm not? From what I've seen on Youtube by GamerNexus and Jayz plus overall charts they've hit the highest at 60-something degrees with i9 10. That's why I was worried cause my fluctuates between 21-55 in idle. As I said, I don't know anything about BIOS but I did disable CME and enabled XMP. That's where my knowledge of BIOS settings ends lol

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021
Can you run a Userbenchmark and post a link to the results?
(more so we can drool than anything else. Your temps are fine)
Haha I wish I could. There's a specific error with the sphere GPU bench that gives an error. I've tried to solve it but nothing suggested helps. It has something to do with the motherboard and the Asus "bloatware". My 3D mark scores are nice tho :D

Feb 5, 2021
Hmmm, maybe your GPU does have some issues after all. Are you overclocking it? Can you post links to your other benchmarks?

If you have MSI Afterburner installed try undervolting it a bit and see if you can complete the test.
No overclocking here. The issue is very common with ASUS motherboards, all other benchmark tests run just fine. The issue is extremely common, just google it. It can be a number of things or programs that prevent the test to be finished, so I'm not too worried about this specific bench, as every other test works just fine :) I will have to re-run one of the 3D Mark tests cause I didn't save them before re-installing Windows. It was average result for my setup, I can't remember what the exact number was.

Example: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/d3clfw/userbenchmark_cannot_test_my_gpu/

Last edited:
There's probably a way to get it to work as there are currently 566 valid Userbenchmark scores with that specific motherboard and GPU - https://www.userbenchmark.com/PCBuilder/Custom/S188729-M1295288vsS0-M?tab=GPU#Benchmarks
But yeah, it does look like there a software issue somewhere causing many with that combo to fail the test.

What are your 3DMark scores? Fire Strike, Fire Strike Extreme, Time Spy... How about Unigine's Superposition?

Feb 5, 2021
There's probably a way to get it to work as there are currently 566 valid Userbenchmark scores with that specific motherboard and GPU - https://www.userbenchmark.com/PCBuilder/Custom/S188729-M1295288vsS0-M?tab=GPU#Benchmarks
But yeah, it does look like there a software issue somewhere causing many with that combo to fail the test.

What are your 3DMark scores? Fire Strike, Fire Strike Extreme, Time Spy... How about Unigine's Superposition?
I didn't save the results before re-installing Windows, so I'd have to run them again. I can't remember the specific number but all those were"Valid" scores with very average results for my system. I'm gonna debloat the Asus stuff anyway, maybe I'll give it another go after this. Mind you, my SSD isn't exactly fast nor is the memory so upgrading those would probably give above average results. I'm gonna run it now and link you the result :)

As for the UserBench test, I looked into it and gave up after unchecking Gsync and disabling Xbox bar. I think it's one of the Asus programs that causes the issue. It's not a huge deal really, as every other bench works fine.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021

So the test result for Time Spy is 18604 :)

D

Deleted member 2838871

Hi all!

You must be living somewhere hot... being your idle temps are nearly twice what mine are. I'm in the 20-25C range all the time but I'm keep my house in the 17-20C range.

Since we have similar specs feel free to ask any questions... built my rig a month ago.

Can you run a Userbenchmark and post a link to the results?
(more so we can drool than anything else. Your temps are fine)

I will... since I've got a similar setup as the OP.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37928482

Please let me know how much I'm missing by passing on AMD scalped processors... :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Feb 5, 2021
You must be living somewhere hot... being your idle temps are nearly twice what mine are. I'm in the 20-25C range all the time but I'm keep my house in the 17-20C range.

Since we have similar specs feel free to ask any questions... built my rig a month ago.
Nah I live in Finland and it's currently -14C outside. The apartment is well heated tho, but certainly not 21C-55C lol. This is what I mean... Am I running hot or not? :(

I have a ton of questions but I don't really know which ones to start with. Optimizing BIOS might be a start, since I only knew to disable CME and Enable XMP profile. Have you upgraded to the new BIOS? I'm starting to think it might be a problem

Feb 5, 2021
If you're only hitting 78C during benchmarks, you're fine as others have said.
If you're only hitting 78C during benchmarks, you're fine as others have said.
Cool ok. Did you upgrade to the latest bios? I heard that might have something to do with the heat issues. I'd downgrade but it seems really risky, since you can't do it via EZ. Also what settings did you change from BIOS?

D

Deleted member 2838871

Cool ok. Did you upgrade to the latest bios? I heard that might have something to do with the heat issues. I'd downgrade but it seems really risky, since you can't do it via EZ. Also what settings did you change from BIOS?

I'm running a different mobo.... but I did upgrade to latest BIOS and I didn't change anything other than overclocking settings... multiplier... etc....

I wouldn't stress man, you're good.

GregoryDude

Distinguished
May 16, 2015
As others have said, your temps are actually decent, especially since high-end Intel chips run hot. If you are worried about temps, there are a couple of things you could do (I personally would leave as is, but for the sake of tweaking, see below).

The default optimized settings in ASUS motherboards tend to have high CPU voltage settings to ensure stability, but sometimes too high. By default it is usually set to "auto" but you can manually set your CPU vcore to the processor's listed voltage setting (or even lower)in the bios, all the while running prime95 to test for stability if it were to crash and readjusting vcore settings until stable.

Another option, sometimes I've had to disable "Enhanced Core Performance" in the bios and that brought temps down significantly, however pay attention if you are not getting the turbo boosts that you like, as that can be affected by turning that setting off.

Lastly, I recommend downloading and installing the Intel software and running a CPU stress test. The software will show if there are any issues (i.e. thermal throttling, power throttling, etc.). This will allow you to know what's going or being impacted with your bios settings.

Of course, good fan placement/case airflow plays a part in your cooling situation so you may want to look into that, as well as ensuring your CPU cooler is properly seated and tightened. Good luck!

Last edited:
Solution
D

Deleted member 2838871

Also... forgot to add, I actually did change one setting. I set an AVX offset of -2... so when running AVX stuff like Handbrake (I do a lot of encoding) my CPU drops from 5.2ghz to 5ghz... temps are lower and the time difference over a 2 hour video file is only 2-3 minutes so I consider it worth it.

AVX is max stress and heat... so it may be worth adjusting.

Feb 5, 2021
AVX offset of -2.
voltage setting (or ev

Another option, sometimes I've had to disable "Enhanced Core Performance" in the bios and that brought temps down significantly, however pay attention if you are not getting the turbo boosts that you like, as that can be affected by turning that setting off.

Lastly, I recommend downloading and installing the Intel software and running a CPU stress test. The software will show if there are any issues (i.e. thermal throttling, power throttling, etc.). This will allow you to know what's going or being impacted with your bios settings.

Of course, good fan placement/case airflow plays a part in your cooling situation so you may want to look into that, as well as ensuring your CPU cooler is properly seated and tightened. Good luck!

I ran the first Stress test and got a Power Limit Throttle. What does that mean?
AVX 1 & 2 Gave an instant "Current Throttled" too for 2 minutes straight.
Aaand, the same with memory stress test
Temps never went over 65C.
What causes this?

Last edited:
I will... since I've got a similar setup as the OP.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37928482
Please let me know how much I'm missing by passing on AMD scalped processors... :ROFLMAO::LOL:

It's nice to finally see an RTX 3090/3080 running at full potential! I see so many benchmarks that are below 50% relative performance.
You're not missing much. Here's the RTX 3090 with Ryzen 9 5900X scores (hit the Baseline X hits up top) - https://www.userbenchmark.com/PCBuilder/Custom/S0-M1348458.1295288vsS0-M?tab=GPU

Last edited:

GregoryDude

Distinguished
May 16, 2015
I ran the first Stress test and got a Power Limit Throttle. What does that mean?
AVX 1 & 2 Gave an instant "Current Throttled" too for 2 minutes straight.
Aaand, the same with memory stress test
Temps never went over 65C.
What causes this?
It means your CPU is trying to draw more power than your system is allowing it (probably when it is boosting), which is usually a BIOS setting limiting such power draw. You should try adjusting your bios PL1 and PL2 to max values. It won't stay there, but it means that when your CPU is boosting, it will grab the power it needs without being held back.

The book answer from intel on why you had power throttling is below:
  • Processor Power Limits PL1/PL2 is set too low in Intel® XTU.
  • Core Voltage limit is set too low in XTU.
  • System doesn’t have sufficient cooling and power delivery.
Please note though that if your initial concern was CPU temps, this will not help your situation, but like I said your temps seemed fine anyhow.

D

Deleted member 2838871

It's nice to finally see an RTX 3090/3080 running at full potential! I see so many benchmarks that are below 50% relative performance.
You're not missing much. Here's the RTX 3090 with Ryzen 9 5900X scores (hit the Baseline X hits up top) - https://www.userbenchmark.com/PCBuilder/Custom/S0-M1348458.1295288vsS0-M?tab=GPU

Hahah... thanks! What's funny is that link wasn't even my latest... I forgot I had done another after I dialed in my OC and it was worth a few more percentage points.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/38137610

275/110/303 is literally a handful of percentage points difference between that 5900X build... definitely not worth the AMD scalper tax. Totally happy with the decision and I can't help but grin at the people that are like "OMG go AMD it's so much better than Intel"... ummm.... not really...

Better as in performance you'll never notice? Maybe. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the comparison link!

Feb 5, 2021
It means your CPU is trying to draw more power than your system is allowing it (probably when it is boosting), which is usually a BIOS setting limiting such power draw. You should try adjusting your bios PL1 and PL2 to max values. It won't stay there, but it means that when your CPU is boosting, it will grab the power it needs without being held back.

The book answer from intel on why you had power throttling is below:
  • Processor Power Limits PL1/PL2 is set too low in Intel® XTU.
  • Core Voltage limit is set too low in XTU.
  • System doesn’t have sufficient cooling and power delivery.
Please note though that if your initial concern was CPU temps, this will not help your situation, but like I said your temps seemed fine anyhow.
Okay, thank you! Could you explain how to change those values as I don't know much. Thanks!

Edit: I think I solved it by setting multicore enhancement to Enabled - Remove all Limits. This time it didn't throttle.

Last edited:

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Hannes084,

On behalf of Tom's Hardware Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

At the top of each of our Forums you'll see "Sticky" Threads, which are valuable information resources that are permanently "stuck" in place so they're always available for everyone's benefit. At the top of the CPUs Forum where you posted your question is a Sticky you should read:

Intel CPU Temperature Guide 2021

We strongly advise our Members to check the Stickies prior to posting. Stickies can save you time and frustration searching for answers from questionable sources that may be somewhat less than well informed.

As has already been mentioned, your Core temperatures are good. Also, keep in mind that Core temperatures respond instantly to changes in load.

Intel’s specification for Digital Thermal Sensor (DTS) response time is 256 milliseconds, or about 1/4th of a second. Since Windows has dozens of Processes and Services running in the background, it’s normal to see rapid and random Core temperature “spikes” or fluctuations, especially during the first few minutes after startup. Any software activity will show some percentage of CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager, where unnecessary Tray items, Startups, Processes and Services that contribute to excessive spiking can be disabled.

Although "Throttle" temperature for your 10900K is 100°C, the consensus among well informed and highly experienced reviewers, system builders and expert overclockers, as well as Intel's Engineers, is that it's prudent to observe a reasonable thermal margin below Throttle temperature for ultimate stability, performance and longevity. So regardless of environmental conditions, hardware configurations, software workloads or any other variables, Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

PdancCI.jpg

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT:sol: