[SOLVED] i9 10900k running hot with h150i elite water cooling

Jun 21, 2021
Hello everyone,

I just finished building my computer. Unfortunately it turns out the CPU is running crazy hot and I am at a loss here.
I received a warning the CPU was overheating and the temps were 80c+. Took the cooling block off after that, checked the pre-applied paste that came wieth the cooler, and all that seemed find. Attached it again and quite quickly the CPU will sit at 40c and within 5 minutes it will go up and over 65c. I left it at that as it shouldn't be going that high while sitting in the bios, surely?

Cooling: h150i elite capellix liquid cooler (top mounted)
CPU: i9 10900k
MoBo: MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? Which things I can / should check?

I appreciate you reading this and trying to help,

John

Solution
If I understand their somewhat inadequate written instructions:

Pump block is connected only to the commander fan hub/controller. And that is connected to the motherboard for the RPM sensor.

If that SATA cable is plugged in, and the pump block connected to the commander, I would expect some activity from the pump.

Video instruction is actually decent: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/a...te-Capellix-liquid-CPU-cooler-for-AMD-sockets

If going through all that doesn't work. I suggest an RMA with Corsair, or troubleshooting directly with their support. Might just be dead.
Jun 21, 2021
So, you applied the cooler, removed the cooler, and just put it back on? No new thermal compound?

You have all the cables for the cooler plugged in? Did you hear the pump running?

Did you use a pump header on the motherboard?

Correct, removed the cooler and no new thermal compound.

All cables are plugged in, 3 fan RGB, 3 fan power, into the RGB commander. The cooling block has 2 cables, one goes into the RGB commander as well, the other is the for the CPU fan 3 pin connector. The RGB commander is powered by a SATA connector.

However, I just checked and the pump is not doing anything. No sound, no pumping or even RGB coming from it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Pump block is connected only to the commander fan hub/controller. And that is connected to the motherboard for the RPM sensor.

If that SATA cable is plugged in, and the pump block connected to the commander, I would expect some activity from the pump.

Video instruction is actually decent: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/a...te-Capellix-liquid-CPU-cooler-for-AMD-sockets

If going through all that doesn't work. I suggest an RMA with Corsair, or troubleshooting directly with their support. Might just be dead.

Reactions: JTS2021
Solution
Jun 21, 2021

I went over everything once more, and everything is done the way as shown in the video. Guess I will have to reach out to them to figure this out.

Thank you for your help. Really appreciate it.

Jun 21, 2021
I did not mess around with the Icue to much as the temps rise so quick I don't want to make the CPU suffer too much.

I reached out to Corsair support - waiting on an answer now. I'll keep this thread updated as soon as I know more.

Thank you all for the help so far :)

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2