[SOLVED] i9-10900K Running VERY hot

pledged101

Reputable
Jan 5, 2017
So I have been using this CPU for 4 months now. A week ago I had to downclock the CPU from 5000/1.4v to 4900/1.35v because the CPU was running around 85c at 100%. I still have not seen any changes. I am using a 360mm Water cooler. The CPU never ran this hot before until a week ago. What can I do? Should I turn off Turbo Clocking, Where it clocks to 5300 if the temp is low?
View: https://i.imgur.com/NEXb6si.png
View: https://i.imgur.com/h2Gk51z.png

Last edited:
Solution
Handbrake is hard on a cpu, almost as rough as p95. So much so it's used as part of every decent stability test. So you are going to see high usage, 90-100%, and the resultant temps.

Part of the temp issue is voltages. Just because you bumped the OC doesn't necessarily mean you have to be at 1.4v, unless the cpu demands that for stability. I'd say you should research your OC procedures, LLC, vcore, etc to get a balanced stable OC without just blowing up the vcore. At 5.0GHz you should be closer to 1.25v, not hitting 1.4v. I'd expect to see 1.35v-1.4v at 5.1-5.2GHz locked.
D

Deleted member 2838871

Does seem a bit strange. I've only seen those 80-85C core temps once... when I was doing P95 stress testing after OCing mine to 5.2 all core @ 1.34v... everyday use temps are much lower.

pledged101

Reputable
Jan 5, 2017
When gaming,56C is a normal temperature u should be getting.
Im quesing everything is right since the CPU didnt reach anything close 100C which would be a problem.
So I can overclock it back to 5000 as long it does not hit 100c? I read that 90c is the top for any CPU but since this is a high-end one I don't know.

D

Deleted member 2838871

So I can overclock it back to 5000 as long it does not hit 100c? I read that 90c is the top for any CPU but since this is a high-end one I don't know.

85C is where I called it good on my 5.2 all core OC... P95 testing (and full load applications) hit that number. I'm not pushing it anymore.

I don't think anyone here will say it's good for a CPU to be hitting 90C... and obviously not 100C. Sure you might be able to do it... but you're shortening the life of the chip.

Jan 22, 2021
Would it help to put everything back to default settings and then one at a time make the changes you need to get where you want to be? Maybe that could show you what conditions cause unwanted results and you would get an idea what's to blame?

Jan 21, 2021
I would reset BIOS and uninstall app GPU apps. Then use CDI and see the status of the drive or drives. Also please do not run P95 its throwing the CPU's places it will never go in real life being a synthetic test. If you ran a Aida64 you would get70 to 75c It is a nice 10c difference at least if not more. Also depends on your room if it warm room or cool, or windows open or not etc.

D

Deleted member 2838871

I only get those temps when using Handbreak and Vegas. Right now I am playing GTA 5 and temps at 56c. So those temps only happen when at 90-100% load.

I'm not even getting those temps while using Handbrake. I've been encoding for the last 3 hours and my core temps have been between 70-80C (AVX offset -2) the entire time... perfectly fine for my 360mm AIO. As said I saw higher temps with P95 (topped at 85C w/ small FFT) and my gaming temps are lower than both of these... generally in the 50-65C range.

I read many times that going over 85C is bad... so that's what I try to avoid. If you're getting 90-100C at load something is definitely off because I'm not getting those temps while using Handbrake. I'm wondering are you running Handbrake without an AVX offset?

Last edited by a moderator:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Handbrake is hard on a cpu, almost as rough as p95. So much so it's used as part of every decent stability test. So you are going to see high usage, 90-100%, and the resultant temps.

Part of the temp issue is voltages. Just because you bumped the OC doesn't necessarily mean you have to be at 1.4v, unless the cpu demands that for stability. I'd say you should research your OC procedures, LLC, vcore, etc to get a balanced stable OC without just blowing up the vcore. At 5.0GHz you should be closer to 1.25v, not hitting 1.4v. I'd expect to see 1.35v-1.4v at 5.1-5.2GHz locked.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2838871

At 5.0GHz you should be closer to 1.25v, not hitting 1.4v. I'd expect to see 1.35v-1.4v at 5.1-5.2GHz locked.

Yeah... I'm at 1.34v running 5.2 all core. I still run a -2 AVX offset though. It doesn't really affect my Handbrake encoding times either way, we are talking about 2-3 mins difference per video... and temps are in the 70-80C range vs 85C+... nothing else I've seen other than P95 has reached these temps.

On a side note, what a difference 10 cores make. My old 4core 7700k would take 2 hours to encode a 2 hour video.

The 10900k takes 30 minutes to do the same 2 hour video. Lovin' it... LOL