Question i9-11900k is throttling on MSI Z590 A-PRO, on Gigabyte Z590 D not

Oct 2, 2022
Hope someone can help or give a hint. Bought a new i9-11900k and a new MSI Z590 A-PRO. My CPU is throttling in 10 secs after launching AIDA stress test. (of course i tried other coolers, and yes I know how to set them right, thermal paste MX4). Tried to use other motherboard Gigabyte Z590 D, max temp is 65 on 5.1 ghz. All BIOS setting on both motherboards are default. Used both coolers on both motherboards. Coolers: MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R V2 and Dark Rock 4

What is the make/model of your case and fan arrangement?
Any cooler, air or aio, needs a good source of fresh air to let it do it's job.
At least two 120mm front intakes, more is better.

What kinds of temperatures do you get when doing your normal work?
Run Hwmonitor and look at the max temperature.
If you see 100c. in red on a few cores, it indicates some throttling, but also recovery.
That is not all bad.

Stress tests are just that, and not representative of YOUR actual workload.

Oct 2, 2022
What is the make/model of your case and fan arrangement?
Any cooler, air or aio, needs a good source of fresh air to let it do it's job.
At least two 120mm front intakes, more is better.

What kinds of temperatures do you get when doing your normal work?
Run Hwmonitor and look at the max temperature.
If you see 100c. in red on a few cores, it indicates some throttling, but also recovery.
That is not all bad.

Stress tests are just that, and not representative of YOUR actual workload.

The testing was done without a case, so its all opened.
Normal work temperate is 25-27
HW monitor show 100 on all cores 95-100.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have an MSI board (z590) that changes default clock behavior when setting XMP and runs temps high right off as well. On mine there are (2) options for setting where one is 3000 with a base clock modifier and other is 2999 without. See if that is what you are running into.

Don't know (particularly) that an 8+4 power phase is enough for the i9 either.

Oct 2, 2022
Are you somehow defaulting to a high overclock?
5.1 seems like you are.
The frekvence is in a flow. So it works on 5.1 when needs it (for example if i stresstest it), just sitting on desktop its only 3.5. This cpu works like this on defaults. I'm not changing anything in bios. I tried to setup a frekvence limit 4.3, so it works on it fine and temp is till 80. But that doesn't sastisfy me.

Temp with msi board 100+
Temp with gigabyte board till 65

Why?

the voltages on cores are the same, the frekvence on which they are working stresstest time are the same.

Oct 2, 2022
That does not mean settings applied to CPU are same. In fact there is very good chance the settings are different thus different temps.
True

But the numbers (frekvence, voltages) are the same on both boards.
Where is the issue? What should I check, setup so the MSI board would work the same as gigabyte?

Oct 2, 2022
I have an MSI board (z590) that changes default clock behavior when setting XMP and runs temps high right off as well. On mine there are (2) options for setting where one is 3000 with a base clock modifier and other is 2999 without. See if that is what you are running into.

Don't know (particularly) that an 8+4 power phase is enough for the i9 either.
I'm not quite understand what do you mean. I'm not using XMP at the moment, is it only for DRAM, so it could work on its frekvence? And also i didn't understand the part with 3000, 2999.. Maybe you can give some screenshots?

Oct 2, 2022
Too many things to mention. Power limits levels and duration for example can have great effect on temps.
If we talking about power, I used a Power Option > Maximum Process state (In Windows control panel) and set it on 99%, the cpu frekvence 3.4 and its max. Ofcourse the temps on these frekvence were ok, but i'm using fully my cpu :(

If we talking about power, I used a Power Option > Maximum Process state (In Windows control panel) and set it on 99%, the cpu frekvence 3.4 and its max. Ofcourse the temps on these frekvence were ok, but i'm using fully my cpu :(
I'm talking about BIOS power limit (look in BIOS for PL1 and PL2). You got a lot to learn young padawan if you want to run unlocked CPU on Z board. ;) I'm not a OC jedi master you looking for though.