[SOLVED] i9 11900k w/ Hyper Evo 212 temp

speltpsyco

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2014
Hi guys! Im having some CPU temp issues right now i just upgraded my rig from a 7700k to 11900k with a way bigger case than i had with extra fans but i didnt change my cpu cooler since i thought i would be fine seeing the temps i was getting with the 7700k but since then my 11900k is sitting at 40~47c on idle with only chrome opened and ridiculously peaking at 75c++ playing new world.. right now while im typing this with gta 5 in background im sitting at 65c Do you guys think changing my cooler to a like be quiet dark rock pro 4 would help that much?

thanks in advance <3

Solution
If you leave power limits alone and don't tinker with overclocking, an air cooler works just fine.
If you don't... you're most likely looking at a 360mm AIO or larger. This cpu is already plenty fast - there's no real need to push it farther... unless you want to see how much power it can pull and how hot it can get.

Anyways, a few air coolers:
NH-D15S: regular D15, the front fan won't fit and will either need to be moved or taken out.
Dark Rock Pro 4
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT
Scythe FUMA 2

Honorable mentions, because, for the life of me, I can't find any documentation on ram clearance for them:
Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 ARGB, and Frost Spirit 140 RGB

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Do you have the fan on the cpu cooler 'fighting' with the rear fan?
Here's what I mean:
iu

By the way, that cpu cooler is too 'small' for that cpu anyway, so a replacement cooler is warranted.

speltpsyco

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2014
Yes both cpu and rear fan is fighting! But its not like i was overclocking it or anything the idle temp seems way too high i checked if the cooler was installed correctly and it is :(

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that is a 150w cooler and you have it on a 300w+ cpu.

no amount of case fans will help with such a "small" cooler. you need at least 250w of cooling power and preferably a lot more considering the massive power those things use. i'd invest in a 300w cooler at a minimum and more if you think you may want to oc it.

keep in mind even if you do not manually oc it, the boost technology will still do it automatically, so keep that bit in mind. it will always try to push itself so the temps will always be on the higher end just do to the boost working at it should. the difference is how high it can go before having to throttle for thermal considerations.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that's 250w cooler so would def be better.

personally water cooling is the only way to go with those space heaters. but to stick with air, the bigger the better. your case can hold up to a 167mm cooler. i'd start looking at the top rated air coolers and see what is short enough and go with the best possible. for instance the awesome noctua dh-15 is 165mm and pretty much the best air cooler you can get (unless i missed something new that is better). they even come in black now since that brown cooler was pretty fugly.

https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nh-d15-chromax-black/p/13C-0005-001H5

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If you leave power limits alone and don't tinker with overclocking, an air cooler works just fine.
If you don't... you're most likely looking at a 360mm AIO or larger. This cpu is already plenty fast - there's no real need to push it farther... unless you want to see how much power it can pull and how hot it can get.

Anyways, a few air coolers:
NH-D15S: regular D15, the front fan won't fit and will either need to be moved or taken out.
Dark Rock Pro 4
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT
Scythe FUMA 2

Honorable mentions, because, for the life of me, I can't find any documentation on ram clearance for them:
Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 ARGB, and Frost Spirit 140 RGB

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
why wouldnt it fit? id prefer the D15 over Dark Rock Pro 4 D;
O11 Dynamic XL: 167mm max air cooler clearance
G. Skill Trident Z: 44mm tall
NH-D15: 165mm tall in the default fan position. There's only enough clearance for low profile ram kits in this position - up to 31mm.
It's actually 32mm, but it's not a good idea for the ram modules and the fan to be touching; the vibrations can cause damage to the socket over time, so we leave a 1mm gap to avoid that.

The front fan needs to be raised for every mm over 31. So 44 - 31 = 13mm. NH-D15 is now 178mm.
It won't fit in the default position. You will either need to remove the front fan entirely, or position the 2 NF-A15 fan like so:
iu