Question i9-12900K and 3090/3080 with Fractal Design ION+ 2 Platinum - 860W

Nov 30, 2021
Hello, I am building PC for both 2D and 3D graphics and maybe some vide editing.

ASUS ProArt Z690-CREATOR WIFI
i9-12900K
3090/3080 (whatever i can get my hands on or find a good deal, Id like to be ready for 3090)
4x DDR5 (64gb)
Fractal Design Torrent Black Solid (8 fans)
3x SSD, 3x M.2 pci-e
No RGB and gimmicks just business.

I am thinking of Fractal Design ION+ 2 Platinum - 860W as I like price, flat cables, size, fan control switch and it should play well with the cast. But i have doubts about the wattage, I feel like I9 with 3090 needs more and there is also 60W fast charging USB C port. What you guys think? (Every calculator gave me very different results and everything PSU related seems like dark magic to me)

If 860 is not enough I was looking at:
Seasonic Focus Plus - 1000W and Seasonic Prime PX-1000 - 1000W
How big is the difference as Prime is roughly double the price of Plus and why should I care about the difference. (I do no mind paying more but i want to get the value out of it)

Thanks for your time.

Yes, for about the 75% of Prime price. What issues does Seasonic have with 3090?

So you were willing to pay more money for a lesser PSU? Hmm....

Yeah. The HX1000 is definitely the way to go. Even an HX850 will work (I've tested it already). Though, if you plan on getting the next gen 4xxx cards when they come out, you'll need 1000W minimum.

The Seasonic PSUs have had an issue where electrical noise introduced by the Ampere cards causes the +12V sense to freak out and shut down the PSU.

Nov 30, 2021
Can you elaborate a bit why is HX1000 better choice. Or provide some resources (other than watch 500 reviews). Everyone just says it does not matter get reputable brand with enough wattage. What is wrong with seasonic?

So you were willing to pay more money for a lesser PSU? Hmm....

Well, no. As I said "everything PSU related seems like dark magic to me". I just posted something that I found myself and I am asking here because I obviously need some advice. I just do not like "what should i get" kind of posts without any effort put in, so I try to find something myself first.

Can you elaborate a bit why is HX1000 better choice. Or provide some resources (other than watch 500 reviews). Everyone just says it does not matter get reputable brand with enough wattage. What is wrong with seasonic?

SID and I already said what could be potentially wrong with Seasonic.

And nobody has proper PSU reviews to "watch". PSU reviews, due to dark magic, need to be read. Linus launching one off a slingshot is not a proper PSU review. ;-)

Proper review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-hx1000-psu,5214.html