ThencredibleKid

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2014
Hello everyone, any input would be greatly appreciated as I’ve been racking my brain about what my issue is for the past few days.
Recently I upgraded my PC with a 12900k, asus rog strix z690 e, and Corsair dominator platinum at 5200. After it’s initial boot up, I’ve had several issues.
  1. Trouble getting to windows, after initial boot and going through the bios splash screen, I get a black screen. After a few re boots I’ll get the windows recovery screen.
  2. After finally getting into windows I get lock ups, complete crashes. No BSOD codes as it doesn’t get to that point, it’ll stay frozen until a hard shut down.
  3. I did notice in device manager, under other devices, I have a few pci devices with yellow explanation marks, indicating it needs a driver. I’ve looked all over the internet for these drivers, no luck.
So here’s what I’ve tried so far,
1.Since these parts are new I thought maybe it was bad ram. Memtest86 produced 0 errors after its full test.

2. I ran cinebench r23 for about 15 minutes, no issues, cpu package was at 67c.

3. I installed every single last driver you could from asus website for this motherboard. Also, no I’m not getting any error code from the motherboard, it reads A0.

4.Installed the latest bios.

5.Reinstalled windows (twice)

6,No overclocks, everything is stock.

At this point, I’m at a loss. Maybe the board is bad? If you anyone has suggestions please let me know. Below is the full build spec

I9-12900k
Asus rog strix z690 e gaming wifi
Corsair dominator platinum 2x16gb @ 5200
Evga 3080 ftw hydro edition
Nvme Samsung ssd 970evo plus for the boot drive, another 970 evo for games, a Samsung 850 evo, and two western digital mechanical drives.
Evga supernova 1600 watt platinum
Custom cpu and GPU water cooling loop

I can attach pictures of anything that's requested

Thanks for reading

ThencredibleKid

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2014
Update to anyone that is searching the internet with the same problem.
I sent it back to newegg and asked for a refund, and I got a MSI MPG Z690. Began to have the same issue as before with the asus board. Couldn't be a cpu issue, runs stable cinebench at about 63c.

Turns out it was my pcie riser cable, its a 3.0 riser cable. So I had to got to BIOS and enable gen 3 for the pcie lane. Was a bit stable but did have run into some issues. Browsing online I read maybe changing the PCIE lane I was plugged into, luckily this MSI board is capable of having two GPU's. Bottom gpu slot worked, still had some issues. Finally, I read with z690 boards, the sata controller may be bad. I unplugged my drives from slots A and B, no issue. Been using the system for the past few days, no issues. Been playing World of Warcraft, Spiderman and GTAV with no issue.

Disappointed with Z690 boards being so terrible when it comes to this.

Hopefully this helps someone