Question i9 12900k vs Ryzen 9 5950x for server ?

Nov 1, 2022
Hello, my question is pretty simple: i9 12900k vs Ryzen 9 5950x for server ?

Im planing on buying a server for hosting game servers, so I was wondering which processor is better for it ?
I know that Intel has better performance over the ryzen but I read somewhere that Intel will not boost to its max boost freq on most of the servers. (keep in mind Im buying server from hetzner and not building my own)

Also I reed this about Intel:
"If I got this right in my head, the I9-12900K's so called "Efficiency cores" will only be used for thread processing that will need a lot of multi threading, that means you are loosing out on those 8 cores that are marked as efficiency. While for Ryzen 9 5950X, you get to you all of your cores to max capacity all the time, which is much better for hosting, specially shared hosting where most users will have small servers. "

Also does the seller (in this case Hetzner) allow processors to boost their freq to the one specified at manufacturers page ? Like Ryzen 9 5950x will boost up to 4.9GHz but will it actually boost, since I know that Hetzner gets their motherboards made specially for them, and those motherboards do not allow any kind of overclock. So will the processor work at the stock speeds or will it boost to its max frequency ?

So could anyone help me with this ? Im looking for a processor that will preform better for a server/hosting. Also I know that most of the game servers requires higher freq which Intel obv has but is there more to it ?
If someone could break this down for me I would be really grateful.

Last edited:
First of all both of these have newer much stronger models out, the 13900k and the 7950x.

The boost clocks you can get depend on the cooling, for both, intel can run all the main cores at full speed if you set it up correctly and you have enough cooling, that's overclock though.
Also I reed this about Intel:
"If I got this right in my head, the I9-12900K's so called "Efficiency cores" will only be used for thread processing that will need a lot of multi threading, that means you are loosing out on those 8 cores that are marked as efficiency. While for Ryzen 9 5950X, you get to you all of your cores to max capacity all the time, which is much better for hosting, specially shared hosting where most users will have small servers. "
While this is the basic idea behind them they are still just normal cores, if you target them with your software they will run anything just fine, they are just slower than the main cores.
On the other hand the 5950x when all cores are loaded also loses a lot of clocks, about 30% compared to only one core doing work, so it's not like one is better than the other.
The 7950x holds clocks much better but also uses as much power as intel.

Also does the seller (in this case Hetzner) allow processors to boost their freq to the one specified at manufacturers page ? Like Ryzen 9 5950x will boost up to 4.9GHz but will it actually boost, since I know that Hetzner gets their motherboards made specially for them, and those motherboards do not allow any kind of overclock. So will the processor work at the stock speeds or will it boost to its max frequency ?
That depends on the mobo and if they use a custom bios, if they use custom parts, as you say, that don't allow overclocking then they are cut to a specific level that they warrant.
They will probably boost to the clocks the cpus state but only on one core and on lighter loads, not all core since that's overclocking and needs much more power and cooling.

Also these are normal desktop CPUs so why do you want to buy a custom server with these CPUs if you can just build one any way you want and with any component you want.
If you start a new thread asking for a build for each CPU you will get suggestions.

Nov 1, 2022
First of all both of these have newer much stronger models out, the 13900k and the 7950x.

The boost clocks you can get depend on the cooling, for both, intel can run all the main cores at full speed if you set it up correctly and you have enough cooling, that's overclock though.

While this is the basic idea behind them they are still just normal cores, if you target them with your software they will run anything just fine, they are just slower than the main cores.
On the other hand the 5950x when all cores are loaded also loses a lot of clocks, about 30% compared to only one core doing work, so it's not like one is better than the other.
The 7950x holds clocks much better but also uses as much power as intel.

That depends on the mobo and if they use a custom bios, if they use custom parts, as you say, that don't allow overclocking then they are cut to a specific level that they warrant.
They will probably boost to the clocks the cpus state but only on one core and on lighter loads, not all core since that's overclocking and needs much more power and cooling.

Also these are normal desktop CPUs so why do you want to buy a custom server with these CPUs if you can just build one any way you want and with any component you want.
If you start a new thread asking for a build for each CPU you will get suggestions.

1. For the much stronger models... The seller (hetzner) doesnt currently offer them, and Im guessing they would be outside of my budget.

2. For the cooling they claim they cool their servers with 20c. By which means it would be enough to boost the clock, as for the messing around with the software if their mobos are locked Im guessing I wont be able to do much with the frequency then.

4. I wouldnt built one myself because of the price. Here is the breakdown of the prices if I would buy myself something that hetzner offers:
  • Ryzen 9 5950x = 600e
  • Decent mobo for it = 200-300e (x570 possibly if Im looking to get that max overclock)
  • 128GB ram = 600e
  • 2x 2TB nvme ssd = 600e
  • decent power supply = 100-200e
  • if I want to get the max perf I would need good cooler = Dark Rock Pro 4 = 80e
  • 1gbit connection (90e/m in my city where its not even optic + crappy upload speed of just 30MB + I use that internet)
  • monthly bill for electricity = 15-30e
So basically I could rent the server for almost 2years instead of buying it. There are things like I could pay it out quickly and the profit would be greater for me etc... but if at any point I decide to change my mind I can just cancel subscription, while on the other hand its kinda hard to sell that kind of equipment quickly and without a big price impact.

Now my final question for you is: Is 5950x (around 110e per month) actually better then 12900k (around 110e per month) in these terms since clock rate is prolly locked for both, but 5950x has 32threads while 12900k only has 24. Or am I just better going off with something much cheaper like i7 8700 (around 50e per month) or mid range Ryzen 7 3700x/ I9 9900k (both at the 70e price range) and buying multiple of them. Keep in mind I just want the best possible performance to give for my customers. And yes I am looking to give that best performance but at as much less cost for me (thats why I typed the monthly prices of the processors above).

Lets say the price that I pay is not even important, but the only important thing is with which one of these would I get the best performances, keeping in mind I would not overcrowd them. If the processor has 32cores I would stick to 32 servers instead of overcrowding it. So would the i9 give better performance 24 core with 24 servers or it would be ryzen at 32 cores at 32 servers

Last edited:
Now my final question for you is: Is 5950x (around 110e per month) actually better then 12900k (around 110e per month) in these terms since clock rate is prolly locked for both, but 5950x has 32threads while 12900k only has 24.
Well that changes everything, I didn't realise that this is a renting thing.
How easy or hard is it to change subscription?
Because I would just try both one after the other with your workload and see which ones performs better.
It will also very much depend on what your customers will be running.

Nov 1, 2022
Well that changes everything, I didn't realise that this is a renting thing.
How easy or hard is it to change subscription?
Because I would just try both one after the other with your workload and see which ones performs better.
It will also very much depend on what your customers will be running.
Well chaning the subscription is relatively easy. Bigger problem is installing and configuring everything again panel, game configs, also the IP would change so that would be a big problem for customers too etc...

Machine would be used for hosting game servers. Mostly single core performance servers like:
  • Minecraft
  • CSGO
  • FiveM
  • Rust etc...

I did find some informations. Intel is in a single core better, but the difference between i9 i 5950x is in 8 cores. So I dont think that single core performance much matters since it has 8 cores less, so its 8 servers less for me.

TRENDING THREADS