Question i9 13900k instantly hitting 100 degrees on cinebench

Jul 27, 2022
Just installed i9 13900k with z790 edge wifi mobo. had a lot of issues with ram and believe one stick is faulty but now CPU temps go straight to 100 degrees when benchmarking in cinebench.

Using the arctic freezer ii 360 AIO , is this normal for temperatures? should i be worried about letting it run that hot for long periods of time?

The 13900k will boost to 100 degrees to give you max performance, that much is normal it's called Adaptive Boost Technology, what you have to monitor is how many W it is using during that period, most mobos will auto overclock by using way more W than needed.
253W is the normal highest W it can boost to without voiding your warranty, if it uses more than that then your mobo is overclocking.
If you can spare the time you can adjust the power lower to find the spot where you are ok with the power draw/performance (or "heat" as in W used) ratio.
You can also disable ABT if you don't need the max boost clocks.

100c. is normal and expected.
No real problem there.
This article may explain:
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/intel-core-13900k-cooling-tested

On ram,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

If you get ANY errors, test each stick individually.
What is the make/model of your ram?
Are the sticks part of the same ram kit?
Ram will have a lifetime warranty if it is defective.

Jul 27, 2022
The 13900k will boost to 100 degrees to give you max performance, that much is normal it's called Adaptive Boost Technology, what you have to monitor is how many W it is using during that period, most mobos will auto overclock by using way more W than needed.
253W is the normal highest W it can boost to without voiding your warranty, if it uses more than that then your mobo is overclocking.
If you can spare the time you can adjust the power lower to find the spot where you are ok with the power draw/performance (or "heat" as in W used) ratio.
You can also disable ABT if you don't need the max boost clocks.
Thankyou, i've always used asus mobo's so im struggling to find the settings on the msi bios, do you know where they are?

i sometimes do a lot of rendering so i want the boost but will probably set to intel recommended rather than have unlimited power.

Thankyou so much for your help!

Jul 27, 2022
100c. is normal and expected.
No real problem there.
This article may explain:
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/intel-core-13900k-cooling-tested

On ram,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

If you get ANY errors, test each stick individually.
What is the make/model of your ram?
Are the sticks part of the same ram kit?
Ram will have a lifetime warranty if it is defective.
Thankyou

i cant boot with the 2nd ram stick in so im assuming it must be faulty, as it wont even work on its own.

I've ordered 2 new ram sticks and requested a refund from the 1st purchase as i cant go without a computer for editing.

Thankyou

i cant boot with the 2nd ram stick in so im assuming it must be faulty, as it wont even work on its own.

I've ordered 2 new ram sticks and requested a refund from the 1st purchase as i cant go without a computer for editing.
Corsair will have a lifetime warranty.
They may be able to arrange a cross shipment with a replacement kit so you can keep running with one stick temporarily.
Ram guys support at Corsair has been good to me in the past; I would try them first.

Go to the Corsair ram selection page and verify if your selected ram kit is on their supported list. I would expect it to be.
Also, see if there is a bios update for your motherboard that addresses ram compatibility issues.
Such updates are common with a new motherboard.

Jul 27, 2022
Corsair will have a lifetime warranty.
They may be able to arrange a cross shipment with a replacement kit so you can keep running with one stick temporarily.
Ram guys support at Corsair has been good to me in the past; I would try them first.

Go to the Corsair ram selection page and verify if your selected ram kit is on their supported list. I would expect it to be.
Also, see if there is a bios update for your motherboard that addresses ram compatibility issues.
Such updates are common with a new motherboard.
thankyou, to be fair i havent tried updating the bios yet, last time my warranty was with G.Skill and they made me send all sticks of the set back which was frustrating!

I've only just bought the ram so sending it back and getting a refund from the place i purchased it, and ordered some g skill ram instead.

Do not update your bios unless the update looks like it may fix your issue.
I will do this on a new build where a failure is merely inconvenient and not disruptive to production.

Ram to work properly must be matched. That is why a replacement will be a complete matched kit and not a single replacement stick.
Any reputable ram vendor will have the same policy.

G.skil is equally good, but go to their ram selection app and verify that the ram you are ordering explicitly shows up on their support list. 32gb sticks are unusual and there may be more issues involved.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I've seen a decent number of issues with Asus boards (z690 and z790). You might be playing whackamole in regard to RAM.

As for the r 13900K, you bought one of the hottest CPUs you can get. It's normal but not ideal. The 13700 is nearly as good performance wise (except synthetic benchmarks) with a fraction of the heat. Unless you absolutely need those other cores, I'd consider returning it for a 13700

That CPU draws more juice than many video cards. It's literally the most power-hungry and hot-running CPU ever made. The fact that it hits that temp in Cinebench is no surprise. We're talking about a CPU that draws more juice and runs hotter than even the previous champion, the FX-9590.

This is why I wouldn't touch that CPU with a 10' pole. When I saw those numbers in a review, the first thing that went through my mind was "How the hell is anyone supposed to cool that thing?" which is why properly benchmarking it is almost impossible.

I know it's fast but it kinda seems like nothing more than an i9-12900K that was factory-overclocked to the moon. :LOL:

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
The 13700 non-k is 219W compared to the 253W of the 13900k that is not going to make a huge difference.

So I just ran the latest Cinebench. Don't know why it didn't boost to my OC but that's irrelevant. OP said "temps go right to 100c".

My temps on a 13700K did not break 79c, as a matter of fact that 79 max only happened 2 or 3 times for a brief second. Was more like 73 most of the time.

https://ibb.co/PC6CWLD

Edit: ahh I don't know why I ran Multicore first. Oh well. Here are the temps after the Multicore. Single core skewed the average.

https://ibb.co/NmKszXn

Last edited:
So I just ran the latest Cinebench. Don't know why it didn't boost to my OC but that's irrelevant. OP said "temps go right to 100c".

My temps on a 13700K did not break 79c, as a matter of fact that 79 max only happened 2 or 3 times for a brief second. Was more like 73 most of the time.
That has nothing to do with anything.
His mobo might be boosting like crazy while yours might have very conservative settings, if he puts a 13700k into his mobo it might not change anything because the mobo will still use the same settings, pushing the same amount of watts into the CPU.
Like I said in my first post temps are pretty irrelevant if you don't monitor Watts as well.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
That has nothing to do with anything.
His mobo might be boosting like crazy while yours might have very conservative settings, if he puts a 13700k into his mobo it might not change anything because the mobo will still use the same settings, pushing the same amount of watts into the CPU.
Like I said in my first post temps are pretty irrelevant if you don't monitor Watts as well.

My MSI board is dumb as a brick. The default wattage is 'Auto' with 1500w in parentheses. Ran hot as nuts. Lowered it to around 370w and it was cool. So while I don't have concrete/HWInfo data to backup, that clearly indicates to me it was using the maximum alloted (obviously not 1500w) power. So definitely not conservative, more in line with what the OP is experiencing.

And alllll that aside, what you said brings us right back to my original statement that Asus/ASRock boards are known to have problems. If it is a wattage issue and acting erratically, OP should test/monitor the waattages and consider returning the MB.

Jul 27, 2022
So an update , my Turbo boost short power max and turbo boost power max were set to 4Kw so basically unlimited. I dropped these down to intels recommended 125w and 253w with a bit of under volting and get more stable temperatured. getting 36k in cinebench as apposed to the near 40k i was getting before.

Will have a play and find the best settings but thanks for your help!