Question i9 13900kf Z690 Boot Issues

Hi, in a bit of a pickle here.
I'm upgrading my CPU to a 13900kf, and decided to go the Z690 route with an MSI Z690 Carbon Wifi.
Thanks to a debacle with amazon, also ended up with 2 sets of 2x16GB 5600Mhz DDR5 Corsair Vengeance RGB RAM which i'm a bit miffed at given the RAM speed limitations with 4 sticks.
I set the system up, flashed the BIOS via USB where naturally the CPU light was red (not installed at this point, relevant later).
The build went perfectly fine, got everything installed and got to BIOS with no lights or codes etc.
From here, managed to set up fan curves, booted to windows, and everything was good.

Then I decided to get overclocking. Did the CPU which went well, then I went to OC the RAM, and decided to set the sticks to their rated speed of 5600MHz.
Which was a mistake, because it no longer booted. Decided to use the BIOS flash feature with everything installed and externals unplugged, given it already had an updated version, so was pretty much a lower effort BIOS clear.
It ran through the bios flash process with the blinking light, shut itself off, then rebooted to a blinking red CPU light as if it didn't recognize it.

Now trying to decide whether I now need to take apart the PC and rebuild it from the start again just to have a fresh bios, or if there is any other alternative. Haven't tried it yet as I decided to call in for the night, but is there any chance a CMOS jump at this point would have any effect?

All suggestions are appreciated, trying to save myself more work haha.

Cheers.

Edit: Forgot to add that after the bios flash it now turns itself off, then reboots before turning back on 5 seconds later in a boot loop.
CPU temps during all this sit in the 35-50c range at all times so it's not overheating, very strange.

Last edited:
Hey there,

Short answer, is yes! Absolutely do a CMOS clear. This is essential after a bios update.

Report back once done.
Sorted it all out today, unfortunately CMOS didn't do anything with either jump option, ended up having to take out RAM CPU and GPU and flash it again haha.
Tomorrow I have to try some fixes for 4 dimms of DDR5 not being able to boot with XMP without failing before working on a long ass boot.
Got some solid overclocks, 5.9GHz on the CPU and ended up getting more than my previous GPU OC somehow, so that's good news.
Thanks for the response regardless though! I really appreciate it. :)

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
On the ram,
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

You may be able to get it working at 5600 by explicitly defining the settings in the bios and increasing the ram voltage higher.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
On the ram,
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

You may be able to get it working at 5600 by explicitly defining the settings in the bios and increasing the ram voltage higher.
Yeah, wasn't an intended effect unfortunately. Saw a very cheap 2x32GB kit on amazon sold by amazon for 70% the price of other 64gb kits and figured what the hell.
First time around they sent a 2x16gb kit, contacted amazon they said all good and sent another.

Ended up getting a second one of the same and a refund. So essentially got them for free haha.

Currently testing 2 sticks at 5600mhz. Surprisingly even at 1.3v failed memtest at rated xmp. 1.35v seems stable so far but will run a few more passes and see where I land. Probably going to sell one kit as the higher speed is more important to me, didn't really need 64gb in the first place but a deal's a deal. :)

Edit: runs stable on memtest and prime95 is fine so far, but there is still a long delay (20s or so) where the motherboard seems to be training the memory on boot or something despite the relevant settings being turned off and fast boot being enabled. Any clue what this could be?

Last edited:
Took a long while to get even two sticks to run at 5600 rated speed stable and a bunch of fiddling but got there eventually. Side effect of early adopter boards I guess.
Side note, these new i9s are insanely inefficient haha. From 5.9 to 5.8ghz I could decrease the voltage from 1.42 to 1.32 and thermals went from spiking to nearly 100 to 60-70c absolute max, crazy.